Gloss Coat Lost Sheeting Properties

whiplash willy

I applied Optimum Gloss Coat June of 2016. For the last few months, I have noticed that water no longer beads or sheets well on the sides (Bottom half of driver and pass doors, Rear sides of bumper) and the rear of the car. Basically it is happening on all of the areas that are constantly hit with road spray. Every other part performs as well as when first applied..

I am trying to figure out if it is just because my coating is contaminated, or if the coating is gone in those areas.

About a month ago, I was able to give it a thorough washing. I sprayed the areas with OPC 1:3, let it dwell for a min, and washed and rinsed the area. I also clay barred the entire car with Medium Grade Nano Skin, using ONR as the lube. The problem areas feel smooth and super clean after the clay, but those areas are still not beading well.

I have been using Chemical Guys Mr. Pink as a car wash since I applied the coating, and recently discovered that it can leave stuff behind that will effect the sheeting properties of the coating.  After some research, I decided to try using Carpro Reset (1 oz to 3-4 gallons water), to see if that would help, but unfortunately it had no effect.  Maybe I didn't use enough, or it might take a couple washes?

I am planning on trying another decon wash again next week with Reset at a higher concentration, and Iron-X as well, but I am not feeling confident it will work.

Is there a way to see if the coating is still there and just contaminated?

Any tips on what I can use to try and "revive" the coating, assuming the coating is there and just contaminated?

Any tips on what to use for a good Decon wash?  How and when do I use Paint Prep, to see if it helps?  Could MDR also be used to potentially bring back the beading?  Is it possible the coating is still there, but the beading properties are just gone?

Also, is it possible to use Poli-Seal on the area, if all else fails, and potentially bring back the beading, without removing the coating?

Since you are listening to the podcast, listen to the podcast episode dated on 2/21/2017 around the 20 min mark.  It goes into detail on how to chemically decontaminate the paint.  The wash, clay, wax method shown on the rag company youtube channel is the mechanical way.  It is titled "The Man behind the Lab Coat and chemist, Dr. David Ghodoussi". 

Ron or someone else will have to answer your question about poli-seal.

Paint Prep is a good all purpose decontaminant (as is Power Clean), MDR and FerreX can be used for specific problems (mineral or metal deposits).  Poli-Seal is a light polish and can remove Gloss-Coat.  You can bring back the beading with Opti-Seal or Spray Wax, but I can't speak to durability.

• 1 month later...

I have had no luck restoring the sheeting properties.  I am going to re-apply it to the entire car, but have 2 questions:

1. Do I need to completely remove my current 1 year old application of Gloss Coat, or will a light polish be enough to allow the new application to cross link to the old?

2. I have Optimum Hyper Polish.  Would this be enough to remove my old application of Gloss Coat, or do I need a polish with more cut?

Archived