Optimum Gloss Coat Maintenance Questions

BradB

I have Gloss-Coat-ed two of my cars and am wondering how to handle routine maintenance and contamination issues. 

1. Will the use of a spray-on ferrous remover like Car Pro Iron X (or any brand) degrade my Gloss Coat?

2. Will the careful use of a Nanoskin (fine) wash mitt to remove surface contaminants degrade my Gloss Coat?

3. I should know this, but as a general guess, how long should I expect the single coat of Gloss Coat to last? My cars are garaged at night, washed weekly (dried with Master Blaster), QD'd daily,  with solely Optimum products. 

So far I have been very pleased with the results of my "big Optimum experiment"! The exception, however, is some unfortunate straight-line marring caused by what I suspect was a mechanic using a cheap towel to wipe off his fingerprints while at the dealership getting some work done. I had hoped Gloss Coat would have protected the paint better. Oh well. :(

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks! 

standard.jpg

3 hours ago, BradB said:

1. Will the use of a spray-on ferrous remover like Car Pro Iron X (or any brand) degrade my Gloss Coat?

No it won't degrade the coating if using an iron remover. 

2. Will the careful use of a Nanoskin (fine) wash mitt to remove surface contaminants degrade my Gloss Coat?

Look into the wash, clay, wax method video on the rag company's channel.  Optimum Car Wax will prevent the coating from marring if claying is needed. 

3. I should know this, but as a general guess, how long should I expect the single coat of Gloss Coat to last? My cars are garaged at night, washed weekly (dried with Master Blaster), QD'd daily,  with solely Optimum products. 

Optimum claims that it will last 2 years.  It is technically a 3 year coating.  It should last longer considering your cars spend time in the garage.  I personally have only seen 1 year out of it on cars that sit outside 24/7. 

I would consider using the new Hyper Seal or Opti-Seal after every wash to maintain the coating.

So far I have been very pleased with the results of my "big Optimum experiment"! The exception, however, is some unfortunate straight-line marring caused by what I suspect was a mechanic using a cheap towel to wipe off his fingerprints while at the dealership getting some work done. I had hoped Gloss Coat would have protected the paint better. Oh well. :(

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks! 

Unfortunately coatings are not scratch proof.  I have found gloss coat to have decent marring protection.  Gloss Coat's ease of use is right up there though. 

Thanks for the reply, Guz! Good info.

I'll search that out on the Rag Company Channel. I have followed that for a while, now. 

I do use the Optimum QD frequently and every other wash will use Opti Seal. But have never used the Car Wax. I sort of thought that was redundant. But maybe it isn't? I'm not sure of the benefits. I will look into it.

And I have not heard of the Hyper Seal you refer to.  So I will look into that as well. 

Thanks again.

One more question...I watched the video how they used the Car Wax  when claying. Do you think I could use the QD instead? Still not clear on the benefits of Car Wax. (If I use QD and Opti Seal already)

BTW, the claying towel looks pretty neat. I haven't seen it available at my usual detailing sites, but I will keep looking. 

7 hours ago, BradB said:

One more question...I watched the video how they used the Car Wax  when claying. Do you think I could use the QD instead? Still not clear on the benefits of Car Wax. (If I use QD and Opti Seal already)

BTW, the claying towel looks pretty neat. I haven't seen it available at my usual detailing sites, but I will keep looking. 

The car wax adds more of a cushion/lubricity to prevent marring from claying.   Claying in general cam marr the paint.  Meaning if you marr the coating then you have to polish and re-coat.   That is why Optimum recommends OCW with the wash , clay, wax method.  

I would not recommend the claying towel.  Bought one and hate it.  It does not glide and left sticky residue on my glass when I broke it in and on the paint afterward on.  I tried OCW and ONR and it would not glide.  I have gone back to another manufacture clay alternative which is much better. 

Hyper Seal can be purchased through the opti-coat website. 

http://opti-coat.net/opts/

The Guz's advice as usual is excellent, but I've had better experience with the clay towel.  I've kept mine for over 2 years sitting on my big Red Sponge in a bowl of ONR and have found it works smoothly on paint/glass using Wax as the lube.  And my clay towel has held up, but know that some have had cracking issues and OPT is looking at new manufacturers.  I do prefer the clay towel (whoever the supplier) to bars, erasers, etc,  because I feel I have more control and it mars less.  I love Hyper Seal as a drying aid on a Pro Coated car and one with no coating.

• 1 month later...

I have one more question to add to my thread. I coated my wheels with Gloss Coat and typically have used just OPT car wash shampoo on the wheels but my newest car really puts out the brake dust so I may need to use a cleaner to facilitate easy washing. 

Will conventional wheel cleaners degrade the Gloss Coat? 

Thanks!

I came into a predicament today and need some more advise. I coated my brand new Audi TTS, metallic red paint with extremely soft clear coat. After the coating cured I also did a quick wipe of Opti Seal. It looks stunning. EXCEPT that the surface scratches VERY, VERY easily. I wiped my fingers over a spot and it caused very light scratches. I am so disappointed. So I polished it back and re-coated the surface. 

I had hoped that the Gloss Coat would have offered ‘some’ protection from scratching. I am talking about scratching from an extremely light pressure. Is this indicative of a poor application? Did I do something wrong? 

Ugh. I feel gutted. All this work and such disappointing results. 

You did not do anything wrong. 

Unfortunately coatings are not scratch proof.  But they do help with wash induced marring as they provide a harder surface compared to a wax or sealant.  Another thing to note is the coating layer is not that thick in the grand scheme of things.  So in a sense a coating seems to take on the behavior of the painted surface. 

Thanks Guz. Yes, I understand that, but my touch, that caused the super fine scratches, was incredibly light. I've never seen anything like it. And I've been doing this a long time. I was "hoping" I did something wrong. I was really hoping there was something I could fix. Because there is no way this paint finish could withstand the role of a daily driver without getting really messed up over a short period of time. Honestly, something isn't right. 

1. If I were to try a second coat would the OPT Paint Prep remove the coat of Opti Seal I put on top?

2. Is the Pro Level Opti Coat "that" much harder than Gloss Coat? I need a solution. 

Archived