Optimum Glass Coat Troubles

bird-keeper

Hello everyone. Yesterday I received my order of Optimum Glass coating and decided I couldn't wait so I coated the windows/windshield on my in-laws car (my car has Opti-Seal and I didn't feel like breaking out the polisher to remove it). I've seen all the OPT videos and read the instructions on the bottle (and followed them) but still had some questions/issues with application.

First, the process I used:

1. Clean with ONR.

2. Some of the windows had some bad water spotting, so I decided to use MDR first to remove them. After a couple applications of MDR and being mostly happy with the results (another issue for another thread), I rinsed completely.

3. Just to be thorough, I clayed the glass as well to make sure there were no other contaminants on the glass. Then I rinsed and dried the glass.

4. Applied Opti Glass Coating per the instructions on the bottle and videos I've seen with Yvan.

5. Buffed off high spots after 2-3 minutes using an Eagle Edgeless Rag Company towel.

Now, the main problem I had was trying to buff off the high spots. After waiting the recommended 2 minutes, it was very difficult to level the high spots (almost felt like I was trying to wipe off something that was on the other side of the glass). I wiped until I felt like I had gotten everything I could and there were no more visible spots/streaks. When I came out this morning the windows were covered in condensation/dew from overnight and in several places, you could see the swirl pattern from when I applied the coating. That to me was an indicator of something gone wrong as I would think that the windshield and windows would be perfectly uniform in the appearance with condensation if done correctly. I know the directions say to apply when temps are between 60 and 90*F and not in direct sunlight but I've seen another post on here saying the minimum for any coating is 40*F. Yesterday it was 55 and cloudy so I don't think temperature was the issue. What could I have done differently that would help with the high spots and avoid the non-uniform look of the glass when dew gets on it?

First off...with the prep youve done you could have easily applied it to your own glass.

Second off...As far as I know glass coat cures very quickly so I dont think there is the need to wait more than 30-60s before you buff it off. That may be the cause of your problems. Another reason may be you used too much product.

To remove it youll have to polish it off. You could try MDR first to do it quicker if it will help.

Temps are OK.

After a couple of tries youll get the hand of it. If you happen to resolve the issue please let us know!

I thought I read somewhere or saw on a video where Yvan said that you would need to remove any type of sealant or coating before using glass coat in order for it to bond properly. Since I didn't feel like breaking out my polisher to remove the Opti-Seal, I chose to use it on another vehicle.

I guess my next question is how much is too much? I used 1-2 sprays to start, and then added a spray when it seemed like there was nothing being left behind as I moved the applicator, which is similar to how Yvan applied it in the OPT demonstration video.

MDR would remove seal fairly easy.

1-2 sprays to start sounds good enough. I would also recomend you first do circle application over 1/2 front glass and finish up with straight lines from bottom to top (or do cris cross aplications). That will distribute the coating more evenly over the surface. Wait about 30-60s and buff off.

Like I said before...practise makes perfect. Youll soon find a method best suited for you.

• 5 months later...

Don't mean to thread-jack. Is the best way to remove a glass coating through polishing? The dealership left fingerprints on the inside of the windshield. No APC or glass cleaner will get it out so I think it's a glass coating like Opti-glass or something. Is there a glass polish I can use on the inside of a windshield? Thanks.

10 hours ago, meGrimlock said:

Don't mean to thread-jack. Is the best way to remove a glass coating through polishing? The dealership left fingerprints on the inside of the windshield. No APC or glass cleaner will get it out so I think it's a glass coating like Opti-glass or something. Is there a glass polish I can use on the inside of a windshield? Thanks.

I've never even heard of something like that happening. I really doubt a dealership is using a product of the quality of Optimum Glass Coat. 

It could be a cheap anti fog glass cleaner that leaves a coating behind. Have you tried IPA to remove it? I would be very reluctant to polish interior glass. 

Agree that it's unlikely a dealer used a pro product and Optimum recommends against using Opti-Glass on interior of windshields.  If no chemical will remove it a cleaner wax (GPS, Poli-Seal, etc) should take it off.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for the replies.

Yes it's a coating on the outside of the windshield. I believe the installer got careless and left the prints on the inside of the windshield. I've had those fingerprints since I bought the car, I only figured it out after my last visit to the dealership. They left a sticker that said the coating will need to be re-applied after 15,000 miles. 

The "quality" or brand is unknown, but I did try several all-purpose cleaners and one of those "magic" eraser sponges. I will try a 50/50 IPA mix next time. Very annoying because the prints show up when the windows get foggy, so it's hard to show the dealership anything is there at all.

1 hour ago, meGrimlock said:

Hi thanks for the replies.

Yes it's a coating on the outside of the windshield. I believe the installer got careless and left the prints on the inside of the windshield. I've had those fingerprints since I bought the car, I only figured it out after my last visit to the dealership. They left a sticker that said the coating will need to be re-applied after 15,000 miles. 

The "quality" or brand is unknown, but I did try several all-purpose cleaners and one of those "magic" eraser sponges. I will try a 50/50 IPA mix next time. Very annoying because the prints show up when the windows get foggy, so it's hard to show the dealership anything is there at all.

Sounds like they got careless with the install and touched the inside while coating the outside maybe? 

Polishing is probably your best bet if nothing else removes it.