Optimum Glass Coat Troubles

bird-keeper

Bird-keeper: did you ever resolve your issue with high spot removal?  

I'm about to apply Glass Coat too. Would it be possible to buff off the product using a buffing bonnet on a DA, on a very slow setting? Or would that remove TOO much product? In my experience, achieving a TRULY streak free finish on anything, after applying a wax or sealant etc, is very difficult indeed. It may look streak free in certain lighting conditions, only later to see streaking when the lighting changes.  I have often experienced bird-keeper's problem of condensation revealing incomplete product removal, on both paint and glass.

I suspect using a DA will remove Opti-Glass.  I've used Opti-Glass many times (3 times in the last 2 weeks) and never had a streaking problem.  I think any condensation/streaking can be removed with an ONR dampened microfiber towel. 

I took the advice of several here and applied in slightly smaller sections (when doing the windshield) and also buffed off immediately. Buffing off immediately helped the most, but it's still sort of a pain to get all of it off and be streak free. In my experience, Opti-Seal works just as well (albeit duration is not as good) and is much easier to apply. So every couple of months or so I'll reapply Opti-seal during a regular wash when performance starts to decline without having to make a process out of it.

Thanks. I've never gotten more than about one DAY out of a normal wax or sealant on the windshield during rainy periods - I'll keep the Opti Seal idea under my sleeves. If I have trouble removing (the Opti-Glass), I'll first try a moistened cloth, and if that doesn't work, I'll go against Ron's advice and try the DA.

I've applied it, and it buffed off very easily.  It didn't feel slick after finishing buffing, like a wax or sealant does. I hope I applied enough, and/or didn't remove too much.  I applied it very thinly indeed. Anyway I'll see how it performs.

Well it seems to be flying. After about 6 days, we finally got some rain, and the windscreen  was indeed nicely hydrophobic. Also, it is actually reasonably slick - it seems to have become slicker over time.   I'm actually already impressed that it's lasted through all the cleaning and buffing I've done over the week - I do a lot of driving, and a lot of cleaning, and I buff very thoroughly to remove all streaking.  The only other "premium" windscreen product I've tried to date is the Angelwax H2GO - it would already have worn off.  (my experience with that product doesn't match a lot of others though - others report much better longevity, FWIW)