I think I got some high spots

Jasol

Hi all. 

Had my second go at gloss coat. First car went well no dramas. Second one not the case. It was a metallic black and in the shade I could notice oily streaks. Could not for the life of me see them in a well lighted shed or in the sun, wasn’t until the sun started to go down. 

Now after some research I think the cause was heat as it was 39 degrees c outside (102F) and I think it cured to quick, I wasn’t fast enough to level. 

What sort of precautions can you take when the temp is over 80F? As here in Australia that’s a lot of the time?

can I just polish out the high spots, clean and re coat? Or do I need to polish the whole panel ?

are black cars prone to seeing high spots easier?

how can I make them more visible to me whilst applying? Eg a torch etc  I have good lighting shows up the tiniest scratches with ease, but didn’t show up these high spots well  

all help and input greatly appreciated

thank you

Jasol, welcome to the Optimum Forum!  I'm guessing you're right about the heat - high heat causes Coatings to flash and cure much faster.  There are several possible solutions - an easy one is to add another layer of Gloss-Coat to even high spots.  Another is to try a cleaner wax lightly by hand to see if you can reduce them.  Since you can layer Gloss-Coat, it shouldn't be necessary to polish an entire panel.

EVERYTHING is more visible on black!  As you've found, light is not an absolute solution - things become visible in various lighting scenarios - sometimes twilight shows imperfections better than a spotlight.  The best recommendation I can make is to do very small sections until you get a sense of how fast the Coat is flashing - you will save time in the long run

Sounds like the same thing I had when applying gloss coat. Was probably upper 80s, low 90s and very humid in my garage at the time. By the time I had covered the panel the start had flashed. I had a towel ready to level as soon as I finished applying. Trial and error seems to be the only way. 

Thanks for the fast reply’s guys! I’ll give that a go Ron. Hopefully I get the car back to me Thursday night so I can fix it. 

Basically if the hotter it is the less of an area you do and wipe level quicker?

you defiantly do learn from your mistakes. Also doesn’t help when you spend all day correcting the car by coating time your knackered. 

Deffiantly will be taking more time, not going to move on to the next panel till this one is 100% and I’ll try a few lighting solutions as I have floods and fluros so might turn the floods off see if that shows up more

heat AND humidity cause curing - hard to avoid in Australia right now as I've seen you're having record temperatures.  I'd be glad to share our sub freezing with you for a while!  Doing small sections until you get  handle on flash time should work.

Thanks Ron. 

Yeah it’s been pretty warm here!

ill be sure to take that approach next time, you learn from your mistakes that’s forsure. 

Also with how much product you use on a medium sized car? I used only around 4ml that wasn’t doing wheels? Just exterior panels. The supplier said I should aim to use the 10ml on a car that size. But I spoke to an Opti-Coat Pro installer and he said 3-5ml is fine. If you follow the instructions to the t there is no way in hell you can get close to using a full syringe 

Archived