How to clean Big Red Sponge

rvidra

What is the best way to clean the black of Big Red Sponge?  Mine looks filthy from use. Black. I have left it in bucket solution of no rinse and have rinsed and rung it till my hands got tired and it still looks dingy with dirt. I guess I am a little anal about it not looking 100% clean even tho I guess it is?  I saw someone mention wash machine but with what to clean it?  Or would soaking in bleach work?  Thanks for any help

Welcome to the Optimum Forum!  You should wash the Big Red Sponge periodically and not in the washing machine or in bleach.  Rinse it out in hot water and Power Clean/APC, or dish detergent.   This will allow accumulated dirt to dissolve.  Rinse until no more dirt is released.

• 7 months later...

The Big Red Sponge and not a cloth or microfiber. You dont clean it in a washing machine and you dont clean it with microfiber or cloth detergents...

As Ron said use APC or dish detergent (we all have dish detergents at home dont we?).

For some reason I find ONR stains wash media really badly. I have a couple of was mitts and the one I sometimes use with ONR is dark brown/black.

It is actually very clean but the staining doesn't come out even after washing several times. In the past I have gone back to doing a 'normal' 2 bucket wash a few times with it and the colour goes back to normal.

I'm really OCD about that too so I now use black microfiber towels to wash with ONR so I can't see it. :P

• 5 months later...

I though I read somewhere that you can clean the BRS with a quick spray of Opti Clean. Is that true? And if so, which Opti Clean? The Opti Clean Cleaner and Protectant or just the straight up Opti Clean? Thank you in advance for your replies.

I am a huge ONR fan and only wash my car using that method now. I think I have perfected my method now by utilizing the iK Multi 1.5 Sprayer to cover the car with a nice coat of ONR first then I use the BRS in distilled water with a grit guard. Next I use  the Opti Seal as a drying aid with the Rag Company Twistress towels. I use the Opti Seal every time, is that okay? I wash the car almost every week and it seems to get easier and easier to wash. The car has only a few faint scratches and I am pretty sure those came from the dealer washes before I bought the car. 

First, there is only 1 Opti-Clean, no Clean & Protectant.  Opti-Clean can do a partial job cleaning your BRS, but to do a thorough job you need something that dissolves pollutants (Power Clean or dish detergents).  Your wash regimen is solid and you can use Opti-Seal every time with no issues.  There is a cumulative effect from using ONR + OS, cars stay cleaner longer and are easier to wash.  Dr G told me that years ago, but I had to learn it for myself...

22 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

First, there is only 1 Opti-Clean, no Clean & Protectant.  Opti-Clean can do a partial job cleaning your BRS, but to do a thorough job you need something that dissolves pollutants (Power Clean or dish detergents).  Your wash regimen is solid and you can use Opti-Seal every time with no issues.  There is a cumulative effect from using ONR + OS, cars stay cleaner longer and are easier to wash.  Dr G told me that years ago, but I had to learn it for myself...

So, are these the same products? One is just a concentrate?

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Opti-Clean-Cleaner-Protectant/dp/B004RIXCCE/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=optimum+opti+clean&qid=1551637530&s=gateway&sr=8-2 

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-22752-Opti-Clean-32-oz/dp/B00GG9FCW0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=optimum+opti+clean&qid=1551637779&s=gateway&sr=8-1

5 minutes ago, No Soap said:

Both are the same product...

Thank you No Soap for the reply. I think the Amazon title of Opti Clean Cleaner and Protectant just threw me off. I keep a bottle of ONR at the wash dilution handy so I don't think I would have a use for the Opti Clean. 

Amazon writes their own descriptions, so BFEHB has it right (look at the bottle label, not Amazon title) - there is only Opti-Clean.  The 18oz bottle is pre-mixed to the proper ratio.  Bulk sizes are concentrates and need to be mixed at 1:3 with water.  FYI, Opti-Clean is a stronger cleaner than ONR and very good as a pre-spray for exteriors/interiors, also as a waterless wash for lightly dirty vehicles.

Archived