Is OCW a good "single wax" product? (not a detailer)

garya505

First, let me state clearly that I'm not a detailer. In the past we haven't done a very good job of maintaining our car's finishes but we just bought two new 2018 cars and we're going to do a better job with these.

So ... I went looking for a product (or products) that would do a good job with  minimal effort. 

We don't need a show car finish, just good protection. Ideally, something that I can use as a final step at the end of each washing, maybe 2 to 3 weeks. We're in the desert southwest (NM) so don't get much rain or snow.

I first looked at Mequiars Ultimate Liquid Wax (ULW) and Ultimate Quik wax (UQW), with Ultimate Quik Detailer (UQD) as a nice addition for touch-ups/clean-ups. OK, this would work fine, but UQW isn't really a base/main wax so I have to reapply the ULW every 3-6 months or so. I'm sure there are people out there who use nothing but UQW but I was looking for somehing a little more durable.

So, I kept looking and found Optimum Car Wax (OCW) which looks like it might be a good choice.

My questions are:

1. Can Optimum Car Wash really be used as the one-and-only car wax (again assuming I'm looking for good protection but not a show car finish)?

2. We do traditional washing (bucket and sponge). Do I need to use Optimum's car wash product or can I use any quality car wash product (I have been using Mequiar's Gold).

3. Is Optimum Car Wax compatible with other brand quik detailers, such as Mequiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer, or do I need to use Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer?  

I appreciate your replies ... 

Welcome to all things Optimum!  I think you mean "Optimum Car Wax" not "Wash" in question #1?  If so, yes, Optimum Car Wax can be a stand alone product.  Obviously we recommend Optimum Car Wash, but there are quality alternatives.  Most, but not all products can be interchanged with good results.  We recommend the Optimum Synergy because we KNOW all our products are formulated to work together.

As a follow-up question, let's say you have a brand new car (2 months old, always garaged) and you wash and use OCW every 2-3 weeks.  In that case, would use of the opti-clay towel with the OCW really be of any advantage? 

I use clay only when needed and that is probably twice a year but we've got real winters here? I think it is importatn to use iron and tar removers before claying to get the most of the stuff away and remember to be super gentle with the clay!

Actually I would probably only use the Optimum Opti-Clay Towel or some other fine grade clay towel. 

6 minutes ago, No Soap said:

I use clay only when needed and that is probably twice a year but we've got real winters here? I think it is importatn to use iron and tar removers before claying to get the most of the stuff away and remember to be super gentle with the clay!

Also, another question.  Assuming frequent washes (2-4 weeks) and using OCW every time, what would be a good Optimum product to use for bird droppings, bug splats, road tar, etc. 

I don't mind finishing with OCW after the spot cleanup.  

OCW is a nice wax.  Easy and simple to use.  Use it monthly and it will do just fine.  If you are looking for something to spot clean those specific things I would look into Opti-Clean (waterless wash), Instant Detailer or on those rare occasions Power Clean.  Just be sure to follow up with some protection after power clean as it would degrade the protection on the surface. 

Optimum No Rinse (ONR) would be good to have as well. 

As far as claying, clay when you think it is time for that.  People often refer to the baggie test.  Google if you are not aware of that method.  I would probably stick with clay rather than the clay towel as the towel has the potential to marr more than a clay bar. 

Just thought I would put my experience with OCW my car is gloss coated and I use optimum Wash  soap before the snow started and the temp dropped I got three coats of wax on in a week  nothing but constant snow and salt in toronto this winter  I just go to the coin car wash rinse car it's bin to cold for any soap  water beads of wax is still there love it 

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Gary,

I think you will be very pleased with OCW. It is a great stand alone wax and if you desire even more it goes over Opti-Seal wonderfully. I think though with you using it every 2-3 weeks you will be just fine with the OCW in itself. 

If you ever have a question as to whether you should use your clay towel or not, try the plastic baggie method where after washing and drying take a thin sandwich bag and put it over your hand. Gently glide your fingertips along the surface. If you feel it catching or lots of little bumps, it's time. If not, you're good to go. I usually only need to clay once or twice a year but everyone's situation is different.  

With a good routine and your upkeep of OCW, I feel you will find you don't need to clay that often.

• 7 months later...

Just want to add my 2 cents. I will NEVER use another spray wax other than OCW unless Optimum comes out with a new version. I have used a multitude of other spray waxes and have yet to find a spray wax that gives me the level of clarity and protection that OCW does. Not sure how true this is, but it's almost like  OCW needs time to cure because after a couple of hours the car looks better than it did when I first applied it. It seems as if the paint goes through a transformation of sorts.  I understand that my paint is in exceptional condition but the clarity and depth that I get are unparalleled. I still have the other waxes that I  purchased but they will NEVER be used again, I want to give them away but I feel guilty that I would knowingly be giving someone inferior products. :D

From my experience, OCW is the best out there hands down.

My Rinseless Wash Routine:

• Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax(1 bucket, distilled water, and the Big Red Sponge)
  • 2 Rag Company Platinum Pluffle Towels (Drying)
  • OCW as the drying aid(1 spray per panel)

Mid Week

• Opti-Clean 
  • 2 Rag Company Eagle Edgeless 600gsm Towel
  • Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer(1 spray per panel)(probably not necessary but I love the look)

Standard Wash:

• Optimum Power Clean (Wheels and Tires)
  • Optimum Car Wash (Foam Cannon)
  • 2 bucket wash Method
  • Deionized Rinse
  • Blow Dry
  • Optimum Car Wax(Eagle Edgeless 500 gsm towel)
  • Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss(600 gsm Eagle Edgeless towels)

Archived