Very unsatisfied with opti coat

Jasonzl1

So the past few days have really been a complete disappointment with opti coat.  Let’s start from the beginning, I have a brand new 2017 camaro zl1 that had 1601 miles on it when I took it to be opti coated with the pro plus opti coat.  When I first picked up the car, it looked amazing.  Mikes prestiage detailing in Youngstown ohio did a wonderful job! They even took the time to show me exactly how opti coat recommends taking care of the car from now on.  This coating was applied on the 7/27/17.  I took my car back to mikes prestiage on Monday Jan. 29 as i have noticed some spotting on the finish.  Mike took the car in and called me back a day later to let me know the spots we are seeing are water spots in the coating. I was completely shocked as the car has only been washed maybe 5-8 times since the coating was applied, it was cared for 110% to the way it was recommended to be cleaned and cared for and always garage kept. Needless to say to correct this the coating needs to be removed,  then reapplied. Mike prestiage called opti coat and they are completely hiding behind the statements that the car was either improperly dried or left wet with tap water on it and therefore it is not covered under warranty!  This car now has 2300 miles on it and it is 2/2/18. The coating is only 6months old and less then 699 miles on the coating, has always been well taken care of and ur telling me the water spots are a fault to tap water and drying improper!  I followed the drying procedure opti coat recommended! Not only is opti coat not standing behind there product at all,  there comments by representive Ivan at opti coat were that rain water would not damage the coating but tap water will. Are you seriously kidding me! This has to be the worst customer service i have seen in a long time, not to mention the fact opti coat completely makes excuses to not back up their product line is a complete disgrace! I will never recommended opti coat to anyone ever again and i will surely be uploading all of this story to social media for everyone to know exactly what to expect out of opti coat and their entire customer service representation. If i could i would of added the audio from the conversation i had with representative Ivan as proof of opti coat completely not backing their own product and hiding behind lame excuses of tap water and drying process so they don’t have to back their warranty, however this page wont let me upload the audio.  I am very dissatisfied with opti coat completely!  Opti coat pro plus was supposed to be backed by a 7 year warranty, which obviously is not the facts, more like out of sight out of mind warranty, the product didn’t even last half a year and now I’m left with the expense to pay for it!  

I'm sorry that you're not satisfied with your experience with Opti-Coat Pro+.  I can understand your frustration but take exception to comments about OPT "hiding" behind it's statements and threats to "tell your story" on social media.  Optimum stands by its products and is not afraid of criticism.  The OCP+ Warranty specifically names hard water spots as an exception, because it's beyond our control if hard water is used or is allowed to dry/bake on.  If your car looked amazing when picked up, the water spots occurred afterwards and are your responsibility - there is no way the installer is at fault AND there is no Coating that can protect from water spots that are not properly handled by the owner.  There are other solutions for water spots and your installer should contact Yvan/OPT to see if the situation can be reconciled.

Jason, I’m sorry that you considered our conversation  as hiding, it was in no way intended as such.  Last week we sent out replacement product to Mike ( before I spoke with you). I am not his account rep, so I was not aware that Mike’s employee had already spoken to his rep.  As you may or may not be aware, Mike had surgery last week, so he is not able to be in his shop to handle this situation personally. 

As I mentioned last week we will work with Mike’s prestige detailing to correct the situation, we simply ask of you a little patience to follow the proper channels and procedures.

I can be reached at 1 901 907 1957 if you have any additional questions .

• 2 weeks later...

I am by no means a certified installer but I can tell you from personal experience that tap water can and will leave water spots in coatings. I had another brand's coating on my previous vehicle and had used some warm tap water to heal a small swirl mark in my Xpel paint protection film. Not wanting to wipe off water on a dirty surface I left it there like a fool not thinking it would do anything. It didn't hurt the film, but the coating on the paint sure enough had water spots in it the next time I washed it. Was I frustrated? Sure was! But it was frustration towards myself. I was the one who did it knowing full well we have harder than average water here. It was totally in no way the coating and I went ahead and reapplied it to that area.

My point here is, even though it's frustrating that this happened, it's not the coating that did it. And if it states that water spots are not covered then it's been fairly put out there in the open and not hidden whatsoever. 

I have always found OPT to be a very upfront and honest company and have used their products and knowledge shared by people such as Yvan for years. I honestly feel that regardless of the brand of coating, you would have run into this same situation.

If I may, I would suggest to get it fixed and then have Mike do your maintenance. You have quite a nice car and seem to really care for it so why not let him keep it looking it's best since he does a great job as you said?

At any rate, I hope you can get this fixed and I'm sure you will enjoy your Opti-Coat Pro+ for many years to come.

Archived