Sign in to follow this  
whiplash willy

?'s On 2nd Application Of Gloss Coat

I applied Gloss Coat to my car about 1.5 years ago.  It has held up pretty well in most places, but the time has come to do a full re-application of it.  I have a couple questions.

1. I plan on applying 2 coats, to ensure coverage.  How long should I wait after applying the first coat, before I can apply the second?

2. On my initial application, I applied it to the paint, as well as to a few exterior hard plastic parts.  Since I can't polish the plastic, what do I need to do to "Prep" it for this new application.

Will you be doing a polish to remove the current layer of gloss coat to start with a clean surface?

Also hyper polish can be used to polish plastic as it won’t stain plastic trim.  

But A&J provided good info.  

I am at the Clay/Polish stage today, and will be applying the Gloss Coat tomorrow.  The problem is we are having a freak snow storm, and I have to drive my car Monday, which means it is going to catch some nasty road spray with dirt from the sand trucks, and probably some Mag Chloride.

How soon after the application is it ok for the gloss coat to see water?  Also, what is the soonest I can safely do an ONR wash, and a Standard water wash?

Also, I remember seeing somewhere you can apply Opti-Seal after the Gloss Coat, even when it is still curing, which will provide a sacrificial layer while Gloss Coat is curing.  Is that true, and how soon after applying the Gloss Coat, can I apply Opti-Seal?

Thanks for your help guys!

You can get Gloss coat wet after 1h but in all fairness its not ideal. Keep it dry for as long as possible is what I would say.

And yes. To protect the coating from the elements you can apply opti-seal on top after 1h. OPT say to not wash for a week but ONR is the safest shampoo for the coating and Ive had a case where the customer parked his newly polished and gloss coated car under a tree in the next door caffe to showlight it to his friends and tree sap sat on it. He called me half and hour after pick up and I sad to come back. I gave the car a quick ONR wash and removed the sap with ease. He had no problems after that (or at least that Ive know off).