Synergy/Compatibility Regarding ONR/WW + Wax/Opti Seal

BillyButtcheeks

Hey OPT forums, 

This is my first post here after slowly getting into detailing over at /r/autodetailing. I have very little experience, but my love for my car is there (wallet might not be able to catch up)! This was my first big detail (First time using clay and wax) from last summer. I've just been doing maintenance washes at the self service wash with the pressure washer and then coming home to ONRWW as for my living situation, was the most logical option. 

I  have been going on Reddit and Youtube looking as much as I could for answers, I should've found this place first! I have a couple questions on what my next steps are and to "evolve" my process into something that is time and cost efficient. I am a college student living with his parents in an apartment complex, so that should show what kind of circumstances I am limited to  even though I would love hose access and a pressure washer (in the future :D).

Now for the questions regarding the products

1. Opti Seal or Optimum Car Wax with ONRWW?
    1. I am only 1/4 through my 8oz bottle of ONRWW and I am one or two cars away from finishing off my Ice Turtle Spray Wax so I have been looking for my next product.  I was really leaning on Car Pro Reload, but I heard since it has silica in it like coatings, it could not sit well with ONRWW's carnauba. That and I heard OPT's products were made to work very well with each other and that Opti Seal is VERY economical. I was wondering how it would act with ONRWW's carnauba. Since I heard that Opti Seal and Optimum Car Wax can be used as drying aids (Saving a step of drying, but diluting product to save time for me) I would wipe with my ONRWW and then spray one of these. To me, the Optimum Car Wax seems to make the most sense with my ONRWW situation. I really like ONRWW as a maintenance wash too since it does two in one and would "reload" my wax. However, in the future I was thinking about just switching to regular ONR as it would be more versatile (interior and others) and then pick up Opti Seal to use with it. Thoughts?
  2. I have been using ONRWW as a clay lube, does the wax affect it?
    1. I saw on the bottle that it could be used as a clay lubricant, and I have twice, but since I am a novice I am not sure if it is doing its job well or not as well as it should be? The clay comes out dirty as hell (Since I have an 08 with two previous owners that probably never have clayed it), but I am not sure if it should be more effective or not (Or does clay lubricant not affect how well clay does, but reduce scratching?).

Thank you for your time!

I hope to chill here more as I just made an account to post this, but now after using ONRWW and looking into OPT's other products, I am slowly converting...

Off topic question, I currently have Chemical Guys VRP for my tire dressing. I was looking into Opti-bond Tire Gel and Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel. Price wise they're similar, but Opti-bond has half the ounces. Has anyone used both? Is there a case of their slogan, "Less is always more"? I'm liking VRP, but since it is water based I don't get much sling or at all, but it doesn't last. 

Billy, welcome to all things Optimum!  Other Posters will have to assist with your questions about Reload, VTP, or Megs Tire Gel (Optimum does not test or comment on competitive products).  Opti-Seal and Spray Wax are both compatible with ONRWW and both work as drying aids.  I use OS due to it's greater durability, but it's a personal choice.  I also use ONRWW on my interior with zero issues.   Clay lube is for lubricity (should not effect clay performance) and ONRWW  may offer greater lubricity due to the wax. 

6 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Billy, welcome to all things Optimum!  Other Posters will have to assist with your questions about Reload, VTP, or Megs Tire Gel (Optimum does not test or comment on competitive products).  Opti-Seal and Spray Wax are both compatible with ONRWW and both work as drying aids.  I use OS due to it's greater durability, but it's a personal choice.  I also use ONRWW on my interior with zero issues.   Clay lube is for lubricity (should not effect clay performance) and ONRWW  may offer greater lubricity due to the wax. 

Hey Ron! 

Thank you for the quick reply! So it sounds like my concern for keep like things together (ONRWW + OCW / ONR + OS) isn't a big concern. I was just worried the wax would affect the polymers of OS and the interior materials it would be used to clean with. 

Now that I don't have to worry about that, is it standard dilution for interior cleaning as well? I have leather and plastics, does that affect the dilution? 

Also, my car is pretty old and has a lot of swirls, chips, and now some clear coat failure (in two small spots on the roof). I read that you should always correct the paint before applying sealants. Is this regarding how effective it is to holding or how it would look? or both? I don't mind keeping the imperfections as long I can protect and prevent them from getting worse while getting a good look as I currently do with spray wax (thats why I was leaning towards OCW as I heard this up there in terms of spray waxes). 

Use ONR at the standard rate 1:256 for interior cleaning.  ONR does not mind if the surface is plastic, paint or leather.  ONR is a great starting point but depending on how dirty the interior is, you may need something stronger like Power Clean.  However ONR with a short nap MF cloth can get most interior surfaces very clean.

If the paint is failing in a couple of places then polishing may not be a good start, clean and then apply OCW or Opti-Seal (or both)

Just as an aside, ONR etc works very well with Reload.  This is a nice product which has good durability.  OCW will not last as long but given how easy it is to use with the added benefits of UV protection and boosting the paints UV protection, it is a very good choice

25 minutes ago, Lowejackson said:

Use ONR at the standard rate 1:256 for interior cleaning.  ONR does not mind if the surface is plastic, paint or leather.  ONR is a great starting point but depending on how dirty the interior is, you may need something stronger like Power Clean.  However ONR with a short nap MF cloth can get most interior surfaces very clean.

If the paint is failing in a couple of places then polishing may not be a good start, clean and then apply OCW or Opti-Seal (or both)

Have you had anything happen differently when you used the Wash & Wax version on the interior? 

I have an APC for some dirtier things and my tires (not wheels). I use ONRWW on my wheels and then spray wax them.

Regarding the clear coat failure, I agree and have been doing that. I've been trying to protect it from getting worse than what it is. It is just two small patches on the hood so its not visible, but they are in a bad spot because the sun is constantly killing it :(

18 minutes ago, Lowejackson said:

Just as an aside, ONR etc works very well with Reload.  This is a nice product which has good durability.  OCW will not last as long but given how easy it is to use with the added benefits of UV protection and boosting the paints UV protection, it is a very good choice

How about Opti Seal vs Reload? I was initially interested in both because of the ease of application. But then hovered towards Reload because it has silica in it like ceramic coating. But I heard it doesn't work well with ONRWW. Then I heard how economical Opti Seal is and for a college student whos just trying to make his Civic look clean, that might be the smarter choice.

Thanks so much for your replies Lowejackson! You have a good one

I have not tried ONRWW on my interior but have used it many times for cleaning the surfaces on my house.  It works well, adds a little sheen to the surface but will not change the nature of the surface i.e. a matte surface will not become glossy.

Opti-Seal -v- Reload is an interesting one.  I would happily recommend either product to anyone.  Reload will last longer but requires a little more effort.  Not tried Reload on the interior but Opti-seal does work quite well.  One of the big advantages of the OPT product line is all the products work very well together.  You can apply the sealant (Opti-Seal) on top of the wax, which is normally a bad idea for other brands.

I bought my bottle of Opti-Seal about 4 years ago, I use it a lot and still have half a bottle.  For those on a limited budget, Opti-Seal makes a good buy, you can use it on most surfaces and the bottle will last a very very long time

26 minutes ago, Lowejackson said:

I have not tried ONRWW on my interior but have used it many times for cleaning the surfaces on my house.  It works well, adds a little sheen to the surface but will not change the nature of the surface i.e. a matte surface will not become glossy.

Opti-Seal -v- Reload is an interesting one.  I would happily recommend either product to anyone.  Reload will last longer but requires a little more effort.  Not tried Reload on the interior but Opti-seal does work quite well.  One of the big advantages of the OPT product line is all the products work very well together.  You can apply the sealant (Opti-Seal) on top of the wax, which is normally a bad idea for other brands.

I bought my bottle of Opti-Seal about 4 years ago, I use it a lot and still have half a bottle.  For those on a limited budget, Opti-Seal makes a good buy, you can use it on most surfaces and the bottle will last a very very long time

Ah okay, that's good to hear. 

I think like you said, I will probably go towards OS for its economical value and synergy with the OPT products I am using. My coworker just lent me his bottle of OCW and I am going to try that on my Mom's car this weekend. I currently have Ice Turtle spray wax on my car, do you think OCW will adhere to the surface if I cleaned it with ONRWW? Or is it pointless since I have already waxed it and would be using ONRWW to get the dust off?

You can apply OCW over ONRWW with no problems, and you can never wax too often (at least with OPT).   And one other point, you mentioned correcting before sealing - I think that refers more to Coating (ceramic), not so much sealants. 

Just now, Ron@Optimum said:

You can apply OCW over ONRWW with no problems, and you can never wax too often (at least with OPT).   And one other point, you mentioned correcting before sealing - I think that refers more to Coating (ceramic), not so much sealants. 

Ill give it a try even though it has Ice Turtle on it! Is there something the paint would be showing if the wax was not adhering correctly? 

My plan was to, ONRWW with bucket 1:256 of water. Then dry it, then i'm going to apply the OCW. If its already waxed, would using OCW as a drying aid just bounce off?

Also thank you for the clarification, I think I heard for coatings you NEED to have the paint in tip top shape (its all in the prep I heard), but for an average Joe with an average DD, I think I am fine with just OCWing or OSing my whole car with its imperfections <3?

If you have an older car with paint in poor condition I would go with OCW. It will help with UV protection and help to seal the paint. It is a hybrid product. Very pleased with its performance on my dad's 16 year old beater with poor paint. 

Might take some effort on the first application but will be much easier after. 

1 hour ago, Tempest45 said:

If you have an older car with paint in poor condition I would go with OCW. It will help with UV protection and help to seal the paint. It is a hybrid product. Very pleased with its performance on my dad's 16 year old beater with poor paint. 

Might take some effort on the first application but will be much easier after. 

3 hours ago, Lowejackson said:

I have used OCW over many different (non OPT) products and it worked fine on all of them.  OCW is not a fussy product, just clean the surface and spray it. 

5 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Wow guys. I just did it on my Ice Turtle spray waxed car with some light dust. I sprayed some ONR all over the car to let some dust drip off and then Jerry Dean'd a couple panels at a time. Then tried it for the first time as a drying aid too. Wow. The initial impressions were great. It seamlessly blended into the car and made it feel even MORE glossier. I can't wait to see how long it lasts. I daily this thing to school and both jobs so I am very curious! 

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Edit for pictures: h2MpGEl.jpg

Archived