ONR vs Optimum Car Wash. Is one better?

1. After reading and watching videos I understand how ONR encapsulates dirt and protects the surface of my paint. (Coated with Gloss Coat) I think I also heard that the more you ONR the surface, the more it helps protect and keep the surface slick. (I may be paraphrasing, please correct me if you need to).  I get the impression that it builds up or at least keeps boosting the surface protection or cleansing properties. True? And if it is, how does it compare to the benefits/lasting effects of Optimum Car Wash?

2. When using ONR as directed I can just wipe off with a microfiber and be done, I get that. But I like drying with a Master Blaster and find that ONR leaves some streaking. Is there any detriment to washing with ONR, then rinsing with water and then blowing dry?  In other words, if I rinse the remnants of ONR off with water, instead of drying it directly with a microfiber, do I lose any of the surface protection or boost of the ONR properties? Do any benefits wash away? Or should I just use Optimum Car Wash (Since we have no water conservation issues.) and use the ONR as designed and keep it for the winter when I don’t want to use so much water in the cold?

I’m just looking for anything to maximize ease of cleaning as well as protection. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a cumulative affect of using ONR, with residual polymers remaining on the paint.  I can't speak to Car Wash (admit to never using because I was seduced to the dark side by ONR).  I don't think there's any negative to washing with ONR,  rinsing, then blow drying.  But I also see no advantages, certainly not in time or resources saved. 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, BradB said:

1. After reading and watching videos I understand how ONR encapsulates dirt and protects the surface of my paint. (Coated with Gloss Coat) I think I also heard that the more you ONR the surface, the more it helps protect and keep the surface slick. (I may be paraphrasing, please correct me if you need to).  I get the impression that it builds up or at least keeps boosting the surface protection or cleansing properties. True? And if it is, how does it compare to the benefits/lasting effects of Optimum Car Wash?

2. When using ONR as directed I can just wipe off with a microfiber and be done, I get that. But I like drying with a Master Blaster and find that ONR leaves some streaking. Is there any detriment to washing with ONR, then rinsing with water and then blowing dry?  In other words, if I rinse the remnants of ONR off with water, instead of drying it directly with a microfiber, do I lose any of the surface protection or boost of the ONR properties? Do any benefits wash away? Or should I just use Optimum Car Wash (Since we have no water conservation issues.) and use the ONR as designed and keep it for the winter when I don’t want to use so much water in the cold?

I’m just looking for anything to maximize ease of cleaning as well as protection. 

Good questions.  For me it's a case by case situation.  There are times when the paint will need a bucket wash over a rinseless wash.  Rinseless washes are great for those vehicles that are washed on a weekly regiment where little to no dirt is on the surface.  Possibly even washing bi-weekly. 

I have read and heard different things mentioned about the polymers from the facebook group and on the optimum synergy podcast.  I have heard that the polymers are there to assist in dirt removal and giving that "cushion" to not marr the surface during the process.  I have recently read that ONR does not leave anything behind on the surface thus making it paint safe and ok to use prior to polishing based on what Yvan and the other members have mentioned in the facebook group .  Take that for what it's worth. 

Based on your situation it appears that you prefer to use the bucket wash over ONR.  If the bucket washes are working then no sense in breaking what is not broken.  If you wish to venture into rinseless washing and be more efficient than ONR is good for that. 

If you wish to leave some protection behind you have a variety of products that can be used as drying aid such as Opt car wax and opti-seal.  You also have the option to use the new Hyper Seal which contains SiO2 in it. 

I found this post from Chris Thomas.  It is from some time ago but it should still pertain to the car wash. 

Here's a quote from Chris. He consulted with Dr. G as well.

The polymers in car wash will have a cumulative effect with continued use like no rinse. As you use it over time it will add and maintain gloss. It does not have quite the level that no rinse does...but it is in there.

And he confirmed what I stated about the dilution. The formula is concentrated enough to safely clean at 1/2 oz per gallon, but 1oz is recommended to be safe for all applications. While 1/2 oz is very safe and effective, 1oz can be used for extra dirty vehicles, hard water situations, and if more suds/lubricity are desired.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/38565-review-optimum-car-wash-concentrate-2.html#post505438

Thanks for the feedback, Guz. The info is helpful. Yes, I’ve always been a bucket and hose wash guy. Thankfully there have never been water restrictions here. But I do want to start taking advantage of the polymers that Optimum products have hence my experiments with a bit of a hybrid system. Baby steps! I still cringe a little when using just ONR and my blue sponge. :) 

I’ve yet to get hold of the Hyper Seal. I know very little about it. 

Thanks again. 

10 hours ago, The Guz said:

I have read and heard different things mentioned about the polymers from the facebook group and on the optimum synergy podcast.  I have heard that the polymers are there to assist in dirt removal and giving that "cushion" to not marr the surface during the process.  I have recently read that ONR does not leave anything behind on the surface thus making it paint safe and ok to use prior to polishing based on what Yvan and the other members have mentioned in the facebook group .  Take that for what it's worth.

That always confused the heck out of me. Sometimes Yvan says ONR leaves polymers behind for added lubrication and protection, other times he says it doesnt.  ONR probably is paint shop safe because its not silicone based but still... IT DOES or IT DOES NOT are two very different statements. OPT will have to pick one and stick with it.

A&J, as I understand it, the polymers in ONR can be painted over.  However, I fully agree with you on the whole polymers leaving protection or not.  There is confusing messages about it.  This is not rare in smaller organisations where communications are often informal whereas in a large organisation the communications will tend to be much more considered but there are many other disadvantages to being a large organisation.

Brad, it took me a while to get used to the idea that ONR would clean and not damage my paint.  I would take some reassurance that ONR has been out for over a decade and the forums are not full of people saying their paint is damaged.

I have used the Car Wash (I would call it OCW but this is the same acronym as the wax, OPT need to sort out their naming conventions :) ) and it is a nice, gentle product and for those who want the traditional approach to washing then the Car Wash is a great product to own.  Might be worth considering using the traditional shampoo and alternating with ONR when the paint is not very dirty or just use ONR for the interior or a pre treatment.   

I have not tried this with the Car Wash but I have added some ONR to a traditional shampoo to boost lubrication and soften the water.  It does work very well but kills most of the suds, maybe it would be worth mixing ONR with the Car Shampoo for when your in the mood for experimentation

Lowejackson, yes, I have been doing some alternating between ONR and water/car wash mainly because I had hoped ONR left residual protection. Now I am a bit leery of that. Hmm. I never thought of mixing ONR with a shampoo. Would be interesting to try, though I may not really know if it’s working or not. :)

Curious, what do you guys use with your ONR application? I have a Big Red and small Blue sponge but honestly, they scare me to death for fear of scratching. (Nothing bad has happened yet, but still.) Are these sponges “really” special? I do appreciate the water/lube they hold, however. I am tempted to use a microfiber mitt or towel because I trust them more, but not really sure if they would make any difference. 

I use a cheap noodle mitt with ONR.  Not tried the fancy sponges i.e. BRS, as there are very very expensive by the time they reach the UK.  I have also used a MF cloth which worked well but you need a lot of them.  I suspect almost any washing material would do a good job.

39 minutes ago, Lowejackson said:

I use a cheap noodle mitt with ONR.  Not tried the fancy sponges i.e. BRS, as there are very very expensive by the time they reach the UK.  I have also used a MF cloth which worked well but you need a lot of them.  I suspect almost any washing material would do a good job.

Yep, I like the noodle mitt as well. Though I have pretty much everything. It’s a sickness!

I use the BRS when I use ONR.  In the course of 2 years, I have not had a single issue.  No scratching or marring with it.  I started off with the multiple towel method but switched over to the BRS.  Saves me from using so many towels and is much quicker to clean the paint.  Never used the blue sponge. 

4 hours ago, The Guz said:

I use the BRS when I use ONR.  In the course of 2 years, I have not had a single issue.  No scratching or marring with it.  I started off with the multiple towel method but switched over to the BRS.  Saves me from using so many towels and is much quicker to clean the paint.  Never used the blue sponge. 

Curious, what method do you use to rinse dirt out of the sponge? Two bucket method? Single bucket? Or hose rinse?