ONR vs Optimum Car Wash. Is one better?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Brad...I would discount the buildup of polymers on the surface from either wash (as noted above).  In full disclosure I haven't used the Optimum Car Wash even though I have a quart of it...because I'm still using up conventional wash that I bought back when you were an active moderator on Autopia...and because I've largely switched to rinseless just to cut down on time and work.  I don't know of any way to Master Blast a rinseless and get a good result, so if you're more comfortable with a conventional wash, go that way.

Another thing to think about if you're skittish about the drying process, is that most rinseless washes today contain "wax" so you might want to try ONRWW which will give you a little more lube when you're drying (although I don't remember it being noticeably different), but it does tend to streak more than ONR.

I haven't been able to like the blue waffle sponge that I bought and I'm too cheap to buy a BRS or BGS; my favorite wash media for rinseless is some old Meg's QD sponges circa 2004 (remember them?).  After you wash them a number of times the sponge breaks down and they are pretty flat.  I guess the closest available equivalent is a MF mitt.

There are countless threads and methods for rinseless to address some of the concerns you have, with endless permutations of prewashes, buckets, grit guards, media.  As The Guz noted...maybe different approaches for different situations, depending on the car (DD vs. garage queen), amount/kind of dirt, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. Your experience helps with my OCD tendencies and the need to overthink everything. My “old school” techniques with washing and drying have shown pretty flawless results for a long, long time. (Us original Autopia geezers, if nothing else, have a lot of experimentation under our belts!) I’ve made quite a few changes lately- started using Optimum on some of my cars, redesigned my garage layout, got a master blaster and a built in power washer set up. So I am changing my regimen quite a bit and morphing a lot of my new and old techniques. Sometimes, like the sloppy, dirty winter, I am in full-on power wash and foam cannon mode. More often, I just need light washes. So I’m just continuing to experiment and gleaning knowledge from you guys until I get into my “groove”. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Thanks for the feedback. Your experience helps with my OCD tendencies and the need to overthink everything. My “old school” techniques with washing and drying have shown pretty flawless results for a long, long time. (Us original Autopia geezers, if nothing else, have a lot of experimentation under our belts!)

Well, I don't count myself as an "original"; I believe I joined in 2004, and since I don't know if I have ever been able to achieve flawless results with anything...my standards may be a bit lower than yours...so take my advice with a grain of salt.

5 hours ago, BradB said:

Curious, what method do you use to rinse dirt out of the sponge? Two bucket method? Single bucket? Or hose rinse? 

One bucket with ONR and a grit guard.  The dirt is released by the sponge easily with a quick agitation on the grit guard and ONR takes the dirt to the bottom of the bucket.  I trust the science of the product and up to now it has not failed me.  

I have never done a hose rinse.  I wash on a weekly basis and there is no need for me to hose rinse.  If the vehicle is too dirty then I just bucket wash. 

I do use a pre-soak with ONR just to have ONR start breaking the dirt and encapsulating the dirt that is on the surface. 

21 hours ago, BradB said:

Well, I am not sure what year I joined, but I know I was #3. That just confirms I am old and my eyes are failing so my flawless results are indeed subjective and prejudicial! :)

I'm sure there were already thousands of members by the time I joined...I thought you guys got started in 2000 or 2001.  Maybe even at the time I joined you weren't around that much, I know there was another Brad also who was a moderator.  Do you know what ever became of Tort?

Anyway, back on topic...my usual ONR/rinseless method is a two-bucket, I usually use a 1/4 strength mixture in the rinse bucket instead of plain water (because I'm cheap and I need 2 gallons in the rinse bucket to clear the grit guard).  I generally just use a half gallon in the wash bucket (no grit guard), wheels not included.  This method is good and makes me feel better having a dirty rinse bucket and a clean wash bucket, but it's a lot of rinsing and squeezing.  I keep trying to like the multiple towel/mitt method, but I just don't.  I bought some different towels to try when the weather gets a little warmer.

I’m afraid I don’t know about Tort. I’ve lost track of most of the old Autopia moderators. Even David Bynon is off to yet another career. 

A half gallon for washing is amazing. After so many years of flushing a mitt with running water after practically every stroke I feel uncomfortable using so little liquid to wipe off dirt. Even after presoaking a panel with ONR spray, I like to have a saturated dripping sponge to wipe the surface clean. I understand I am over-doing it, and I know it’s not supposed to be necessary, but it’s a psychological barrier I have yet to overcome. I think that I may be more satisfied using the two bucket method that you are using but I will probably be more wasteful with the ONR mix for a while. 

Brad, I don't think you are being OCD by trying to have a lot of fluid...as I indicated, I have the advantage of not having flawless paint to begin with, so I'm not so worried if it's not flawless after.  Maybe it's just self-brainwashing to keep from going insane, but I don't feel like the small amount I'm using is having a negative impact, at least not any more than the regular washing of a DD is bound to have.  But you've gotta use the amount of water you're comfortable with.

The question of whether ONR leaves anything behind comes up every so often.  This is directly from Dr G:

"Onr leaves polymers that are cumulative over time. Car wash does not leave anything behind."

ONR is paint safe and body shop safe as well.

Brad, just to echo the above points, use whatever products make you comfortable.  I like ONR as it is quicker and easier than a traditional shampoo and I only use one bucket (no grit guard) but if the Car Shampoo does everything you want from a shampoo then keep on using it.  Pre washing with ONR could also help.  ONR is also a great light interior cleaner and I also use it for dusting duties in our home.

To quote Beau from many many years ago on Autopia, "...detailing is meant to be enjoyable" so just use whatever products you fancy