ONR vs Optimum Car Wash. Is one better?

Yea, I'm not honestly sure if I like sponges or not yet. Never would have considered them at all if Optimum hadn't recommended them. I do wish they were softer. I have to get my head around the fact that they don't supposedly scratch the surface. 

The Bone type sponges have always interested me but the size is a bit too big, at least with the ones I have seen. I think I remember this Meguiars sponges! LOL! Sounds like a big score at Big Lots! 

I have a couple Viking microfiber mitts (with the fingers) and they seem just fine though I have never compared brands. And I have lots of Autopia sheep skin mitts. Are those still being used by anyone?

I guess I am still looking for the perfect solution. Yea, I know, there isn't one. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, BradB said:

And I have lots of Autopia sheep skin mitts. Are those still being used by anyone?

I guess I am still looking for the perfect solution. Yea, I know, there isn't one. 

I think most people switched to synthetic options (once there were some good ones) to get away from the maintenance headaches of the real sheepskin.  This is the latest and greatest imitation of sheepskin with microfiber:

M850C_rw26vt.jpg

I'm still looking for that perfect solution, too...let me know when you find it.

You skeptics...the blurb about the material:

"merges the best of both microfiber and merino wool wash mitt theories.  Utilizing the well know cleansing abilities of microfiber,  a special fiber blend was developed enabling a thick "pile" to be created similar to those typically found in premium quality wool wash mitts.  The  plush custom blended fibers are designed to remove dirt particles from your paintwork and trap them deep in the fibers until it is rinsed, minimizing the chances of swirls.  Of significant importance, it easily releases dirt particles when rinsed.  The unique fibers allow the mitt to glide smoothly across the surface."

I may take one for the team and order a couple of those green mitts to try out, I have one of the blue sponges, and I've used it, I honestly can't remember whether it was for conventional or rinseless, but next rinseless I do I'm going to use it.  I don't remember flipping out about it, but of course the blue ones are very expensive.

OK, OK, I may get one of the Green Monster Mitts from MFT, too! :)  I did order one of the dogbone type MF sponges since Autopia was having a sale. I'll give it another try.  I am assuming its pretty much the same as the MFT version. I'm a sucker for a discount! 

Which BLUE one are you referring to? 

I've been using ONR wash & wax for the last several months and very pleased with the results. My method is using 5 microfiber towels, using one at a time folded in quarters and splaying a clean side after 1-2 passes. Generally only use 4 sides of a single towel before reaching for a clean one. After cleaning a panel or section of panels I use a microfiber towel to dry, and have two towels switching to a new one after 1/2 the car is done. :)

Edit: If the car is real dirty I will pressure wash off the heavy stuff first.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-03-14 at 11:43 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

There is a cumulative affect of using ONR, with residual polymers remaining on the paint.  I can't speak to Car Wash (admit to never using because I was seduced to the dark side by ONR).  I don't think there's any negative to washing with ONR,  rinsing, then blow drying.  But I also see no advantages, certainly not in time or resources saved. 

Maybe I am turning to the dark side 

Rinsed my car 

Then put onr in the foam cannon and soaked car then two bucket wash with soap  kills the suds a bit but man the car was clean car is gloss coated

• 4 years later...

My method of washing any car involves using a hose, so that excludes certain areas w/ water use restrictions.

1. Hose the car down. Must be in a shady spot to do so.

2. Wash by hand w/ a bucket of ONR using typical car wash soft broom 

3. Hose car down

4.  Wash again by hand w/  a FRESH bucket of ONR using typical car wash soft broom DO NOT RINSE

5. Dry w/ a pair of waffle weave  mf towels

THIS WORKS PERFECT EVERY TIME

www.DetailArtist.net

8E269248-82A6-452A-898F-6B47B9EC7351.jpeg