ONR vs Optimum Car Wash. Is one better?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/14/2018 at 3:07 PM, BradB said:

Thanks Ron. I wish the ONR didn’t streak when blown dry, because I find the Master Blaster works well for me, personally. So maybe this isn’t a reasonable route to take. (ONR-rinse-blow) 

I use a leaf blower which gets most of the ONR off and then I blot up the remainder with a microfiber towel. Never any streaks. Perhaps your streaking comes about because the Master Blaster uses *heated* air, and my leaf blower does not. Or perhaps you are overdoing the drying, trying to get ever single drop to dry.

On 3/16/2018 at 3:14 PM, BradB said:

Lowejackson, yes, I have been doing some alternating between ONR and water/car wash mainly because I had hoped ONR left residual protection. Now I am a bit leery of that. Hmm. I never thought of mixing ONR with a shampoo. Would be interesting to try, though I may not really know if it’s working or not. :)

Curious, what do you guys use with your ONR application? I have a Big Red and small Blue sponge but honestly, they scare me to death for fear of scratching. (Nothing bad has happened yet, but still.) Are these sponges “really” special? I do appreciate the water/lube they hold, however. I am tempted to use a microfiber mitt or towel because I trust them more, but not really sure if they would make any difference. 

I use the Rag Company's Ultra Black Sponge on my new BMW i4-40. Absolutely no swirls or scratches when used correctly. When I see a little white (indicating dirt) on the sponge I squeeze it in the bucket of ONR with a grit guard and all of the dirt falls to the bottom of the bucket with none left on the sponge to scratch. I believe the Ultra Black sponge is made of a more advanced foam than the sponges you are using.

2 hours ago, berchman said:

I use the Rag Company's Ultra Black Sponge on my new BMW i4-40. Absolutely no swirls or scratches when used correctly. When I see a little white (indicating dirt) on the sponge I squeeze it in the bucket of ONR with a grit guard and all of the dirt falls to the bottom of the bucket with none left on the sponge to scratch. I believe the Ultra Black sponge is made of a more advanced foam than the sponges you are using.

The sponges are safe on paint, but the key is ONR encapsulating dirt.  IMO sponges are safer because (1) the cross cuts absorb dirt and pull it away from surface and (2) they hold more solution for extra lubrication.  MItts/towels allow dirt to stay on their surface. The difference between Ultra Black and BRS is shape and color, anything else is marketing.  Dr G recommends adding a cap of ONR to car wash (shampoo) for it's water softening effect.