ONR on polisher pad

I know in alot of OPT polishing videos, the pad washer is used which contains ONR and the videos show Levi priming the polisher pad up with ONR, and spun to dry before putting on hyper polish/hyper compound. 

I am not using a pad washer and was planning on just using hyper polish/hyper compound on the pad, polish one panel, and then do a quick "on the fly" cleaning of the pad using a terry cloth towel. Just like in this video. I use a Meguiars G110v2 DA polisher.

I read from this article https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/pad-cleaning-during-and-after-polishing/

that using ONR is good for cleaning pad on the fly. They spray some ONR on the polisher pad and use a towel to clean the residue off the pad. 

My question is:

- For the sake of consistency between polishing panel #1 and panel #2, should I spray some ONR on the polisher pad before working on panel #1?

I'm thinking that the results of polishing might differ between panel #1 and #2 too much because for panel #1 there was no ONR used, but for panel #2 (after cleaning the pad on the fly with ONR) there would be some ONR in the pad. 

It won't make a significant difference if you clean the pad for the second panel with ONR.  The Hyper Polish can be sprayed onto a dry pad and will work well.  I think the advantage of using a pad which has been cleaned with ONR is firstly, you are starting with a very clean pad which is always a good idea.  Secondly, my guess is the ONR is helping to spread the polish over the pad and maybe helps with lubrication.

I have used Hyper Polish with dry and ONR dampened pads, the difference is not night and day, using ONR makes it slightly nicer to work with.

One thing I have tried is to wash the pad in a bucket of ONR and then spin the pad on the polisher at the top of the bucket.  Care is needed here as water and electricity can create some very unpleasant outcomes.  The ONR bucket method is probably not as good as a fancy pad washer but is much cheaper. 

• 1 month later...
On 21/03/2018 at 5:49 AM, Kiddetailer said:

I know in alot of OPT polishing videos, the pad washer is used which contains ONR and the videos show Levi priming the polisher pad up with ONR, and spun to dry before putting on hyper polish/hyper compound. 

I am not using a pad washer and was planning on just using hyper polish/hyper compound on the pad, polish one panel, and then do a quick "on the fly" cleaning of the pad using a terry cloth towel. Just like in this video. I use a Meguiars G110v2 DA polisher.

I read from this article https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/pad-cleaning-during-and-after-polishing/

that using ONR is good for cleaning pad on the fly. They spray some ONR on the polisher pad and use a towel to clean the residue off the pad. 

My question is:

- For the sake of consistency between polishing panel #1 and panel #2, should I spray some ONR on the polisher pad before working on panel #1?

I'm thinking that the results of polishing might differ between panel #1 and #2 too much because for panel #1 there was no ONR used, but for panel #2 (after cleaning the pad on the fly with ONR) there would be some ONR in the pad. 

Instead of buying a pad washer just use the money to buy more pads use three or four when rhere dirty  put them in some ONR then stop polishing  and clean them and start again what do  you think? 

• 1 year later...

because I don't do high volume polishing, I've never invested in the pad washer.  I've used the Optimum model and know it's design was influenced by our pros (Dann and Yvan).  Also recognize they have a mechanical component and can break or malfunction.  Having said that, Optimum warranties all products.