AKT

OCW application and streaking

Recommended Posts

Hello,

i apply OCW by spraying into a MF applicator directly (2 sprays for the first panel then 1 spray per panel later on). I am seeing some streaking especially on the hood.

any tips/thoughts?

i live in a tropical climate, hot and humid, but i work in a garage with roof but it is still open so to speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use a MF towel instead of a applicator. Spray directly onto the panel (half a spray per panel) and spread with a MF towel. Dont use too much product, you will again get streaking that way. Less is more here. If any dots or streaks are left use a ONR soaked towel to remove them, then dry normaly.

Work on cool panels, in the shade or as you said in a garage. I have found OCW streaks if it is used on hot surfaces or hot weather in general. That is why I prefer Opti seal over summer and OCW over winter time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel i get more complete coverage if i use an applicator. When using an MF towel, i feel i dont cover the whole panel... paranoia only..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep...If you are not sure do a second application once you wax the entire car or do overlapping vertical and horizontal passes the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A&J said:

Yep...If you are not sure do a second application once you wax the entire car or do overlapping vertical and horizontal passes the first time.

I cant imagine how to do the overlapping thing. So spray directly onto the panel (probably at the center of the panel) then spread using mf towel in a cross hatch pattern starting where i sprayed ocw..?

 

1 hour ago, No Soap said:

I would say paranoia? :rolleyes:

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say not to overthink it! Just one (good) spray and spread on one section at a time (the hood is 2-3 sections, depending on car size), it is such a thin layer that is needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, No Soap said:

I would say not to overthink it! Just one (good) spray and spread on one section at a time (the hood is 2-3 sections, depending on car size), it is such a thin layer that is needed.

I agree. But how would i know i spread it thoroughly though... 

:confused1[1]:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if you miss a spot, what does it mean? Next time you wash the car you again use Optimum Car-Wax as a drying aid and probably you go over the spot you missed last time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, No Soap said:

Well, if you miss a spot, what does it mean? Next time you wash the car you again use Optimum Car-Wax as a drying aid and probably you go over the spot you missed last time?

Good point. I use ocw once a month. I have a plan now in my head how to tackle this.

by the way i dont use it as drying aid as i do rinseless all the time. Unless there is mud of course.

thanks for all the replies!

Edited by AKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also do rinseless but always use either Opti-Seal or Car-Wax as drying aid. Our red car gets OCW and the one with the lighter color gets Opti-Seal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, No Soap said:

I also do rinseless but always use either Opti-Seal or Car-Wax as drying aid. Our red car gets OCW and the one with the lighter color gets Opti-Seal.

Do you wash and dry (with drying aid) per panel? And you do this every week/wash?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will try this!

i also have poli-seal (just arrived) that i plan to use quarterly to clean the paint basically. Don’t have a polisher (yet) :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AKT said:

I cant imagine how to do the overlapping thing. So spray directly onto the panel (probably at the center of the panel) then spread using mf towel in a cross hatch pattern starting where i sprayed ocw..?

Yes exactly like that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now