My ONR Maintenance Procedure

Optimum No Rinse is (in my opinion) the greatest detailing product ever created. Having said that I don't think it's a good idea to fill up a bucket, add some ONR and whale away at the car as quickly as possible.

I've developed my own system for using it on even a very dirty car with no marring or scratches added during the wash and dry process. I've recently corrected my cars paint over roughly a 20 hour period, so I know every blemish and scratch that exists on it. I have been going over the car with a defect spotting light after washing and I think I have the perfect method. It just so happens that The Rag Company uploaded a video to YouTube recently and it is basically the exact same method that I (and probably many others) use.

1.  Prepare a 20L (5.2 Gallon) bucket half full of water with 30ml (1oz) of ONR. Add a microfiber wash mitt to soak in the mixture while the rest of the setup is being completed.

2. Fill an 8L (2.1 Gallon) pressure sprayer with water and add 30ml (1oz) of ONR. Pump up to the required setting and set aside.

3. Spray shampoo and/or wheel cleaner and or/all purpose cleaner on to wheels and tyres as required. Leave to dwell for a few minutes and then agitate all areas of the wheel with brushes as necessary. Rinse wheels completely with ONR pressure sprayer.

4. Spray car completely with ONR mixture from pressure sprayer, focusing special attention on any areas that are particularly dirty. I spray until the bottle is completely empty for this one, regardless of how long it takes.

5. Wash car as normal with ONR using slow, straight lines, making sure to rinse the microfiber mitt off in the bucket regularly. If everything above has been done previously, this should result and a fairly clean bucket afterwards.

6. Dry the car with a very plush, high GSM (1000gsm) microfiber towel and use Opti-Seal or Car Wax as a drying aid. I alternate between these two for each wash.

All up this procedure takes me less then an hour to complete, and I can do it in my garage at any time of the day/week. What I really love about it is it's every bit as effective as using a pressure washer, snow foam, hose, 2 buckets, grit guards etc. etc. I was adamant in not giving anything up when using this method as I didn't want to sacrafice anything in terms of the end result. There is no way anyone could ever tell a difference when doing it this way as compared to a 'traditional wash'. There are so many pros to doing it this way (huge water saving, doing it in the comfort of my closed garage, not dragging around a hose or pressure washer for example) I am NEVER going back to the traditional method of washing if I can help it.

I see lots of people who are skeptical about ONR, or who say they have used it and have scratched their paint. What I would (and do) say to those people is 'you are doing it wrong'. It is just as easy to scratch your paint using a traditional wash as it is using ONR, it's just the psychological part that I think people can't wrap their head around. It is quite scary using it for the first time as I'll admit, it sure freaked me out. The end result speaks for itself and after each and every wash I'm blown away by the seemingly witchcraft that comes out of the bottle. It shouldn't be that easy, safe and effective - but it is.

Nick

xPK8Ewd.jpg

9 minutes ago, A&J said:

People seem to be afraid of onr like its the plague but in reality its the cure.

Great writeup and a nice looking car you have there:thumbsupup[1]:

Thanks! 

Obviously ONR is not new to people on this forum, so I would love to know if others have discovered little tweaks to their processes that save them time (without sacrificing quality). 

I know I think I've finally got all the answers and then I watch a YouTube video or read something someone does that really works and I tweak my method again. ? 

20 minutes ago, No Soap said:

You leave ONR on the wheels after spraying?

Sorry, probably should have gone more in depth there. 

I dry the wheels with a seperate microfiber towel (I use a cheaper one here) and use Optimum Instant Detailer as a drying aid as the very last step. 

One thing I could say is that if the car is extremely dirty or covered in heavy traffic film, I would foam the lower half of the car in Power Clean with an IK Foam sprayer and let it dwell for a minute or so after doing the wheels. This would then be rinsed with the ONR solution prior to washing. 

I've timed my pressure sprayer at about 13 minutes of continuous spraying, so there is plenty of solution left after wheel cleaning. 

On the other hand, if the car only has a light layer of dust on it the pre-rinse can be skipped completely as it is safe to just wash straight after wheels, saving around 10 minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Turtle said:

What pressure sprayer do you recommend or use?

I use 2 different sprayers for this method:

1. The ONR solution sprayer I use is an 8 litre (2.1 gallon) I got from a local hardware store. Of course I got the ultra high end model with Viton chemically resistant seals, but this is unnecessary. Any sprayer will do, but I can spray for 13 minutes with this one which comes in very handy. It's just about covering the car in the ONR solution. 

2. The smaller one is much more important. It's the IK Foam 1.5, which holds about 750ml of the Power Clean (or any other chemical) solution. It will actually foam the product straight from the bottle onto the wheels and wheel wells. 

Hope this was helpful. ?

Archived