The Ultimate Drying Aid

After months of testing I think I've found my favourite drying aid I've ever used. There's been a lot of talk about mixing products on the forum lately which is something I'm very interested in. It's a fun way to experiment with different products to come up with uses the manufacturer did not expect (or test).

I mix Optimum Instant Detailer at the standard dilution with 10-20% Optimum Car Wax and use it as a maintenance wash drying aid. This provides the following benefits:

• 'Tops up' the full wax I do about once every month or two
  • It eliminates the usual issue of using too much wax that some people seem to do
  • The mild cleaners in the OID safely take care of any spots I might have missed while washing
  • It's impossible to use too much as it seems to just melt in to the paint
  • Lubricates the surface much better when drying compared to OCW or Opti-Seal alone
  • Provides incredible gloss levels when topping it over other products such as Opti-Seal

I am absolutely in love with it and actually look forward to drying my car after a wash because of the experience.

I've attached a (average) picture of the results from the last wash I did. I did my usual ONR wash but pre-rinsed with a pressure washer due to the amount of dirt that was on the car.

br33QvC.jpg

There are none that I have found. There is no streaking on even deliberate 'over use' of the mixture. 

I prefer to do a proper application of Opti-Seal and Car Wax every month or so and maintain with this as a drying aid for now. 

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, Gabford said:

Have you tried ONR at QD dilution with 10-20% OCW ?

I have, and it works pretty well, although I don't like ONR as a drying aid anywhere near as much as OID. 

OID seems to melt in to the paint (especially with OCW added) where as ONR sits on top of the surface. This is obviously not a very scientific explanation, but it seems to not matter how much OID I use - I get no streaking or build up on the paint. 

Plus the combination smells amazing! :lol:

• 3 years later...