• ONR
  • OPTICLAY
  • OPTIWAX
  • OPTISEAL
  • SOFT GRIP WHEEL BRUSH
  • PLUFFLE BUNDLE
  • EAGLE 500 RD
  • Already had the grit guards

The more I read the more overwhelming it gets, especially with all the videos. What about de-contaminating the vehicle, should I use the clay bar on a two week old vehicle or use Opti FerreX.

What would be a fool proof procedure on a two week old vehicle, would it be safe to Opti Seal while drying once a month and then use the Opti wax three times a month as maintenance.

Thanks in advance,

RonW.

Welcome to the Optimum Forum!  I wouldn't think a new truck should need clay (unless it sat on a lot next to a manufacturing plant for a long period).  Decontamination with FerreX makes sense (and is safer).  One pollutant new vehicles can pick up is rail dust and FerreX is excellent at removing.  Your regimen with Opti-Seal and Wax should keep you well protected.

Thanks LowJ:

So what would you do on a 2 week old black truck?

These are the products that I have on hand:

• BIG RED SPONGE
  • ONR
  • OPTICLAY
  • OPTIWAX
  • OPTISEAL
  • SOFT GRIP WHEEL BRUSH
  • PLUFFLE BUNDLE
  • EAGLE 500 RD
  • Already had the grit guards
  • Need to buy FerreX

Ron@Optium suggested using FerreX in lieu of the clay bar. I did do the baggy on hand test and I feel contaminants on the surface. Any help on a plan of attack would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RonW.

RonW, using FerreX sounds like a good plan but as Ron suggests, it all depends on what is on the paint.  The advantage of using Ferrex first is it might remove whatever is on the paint.  Don't be concerned about using clay on paint, as long as the surface is clean, has lots of lubricant and you don't apply pressure the risk to the paint is very low

The baggy test indicates there is something on the paint and I assume it has not been removed by the ONR.  The two basic options for bonded contaminates are to remove with chemicals eg FerreX,  Power Clean, Poliseal etc or mechanically with clay.  Of course both methods can be used if necessary.   

If it was my vehicle I would try the clay on a section of one panel and see if that helps.  Not tried the Opti clay cloth so not sure what the instructions say but often it is recommended to clay the windows first to break in the cloth.  As long as the surface is clean, there is lots of lubrication and very little pressure as applied it is amazing how smooth clay can make paint and glass. 

Archived