TIRE PROTECTION AND COATING

Ron@Optimum

Regarding my earlier discussion about my cloths continually turning black, even after lots of cleaning - it appears my theory was INCORRECT - a brand new tyre of the same type, does NOT turn black when I apply TPC, or even that wax & grease remover I mentioned.  I assume then that I have been applying TPC to tyres that have not been completely clean. If so, IMHO, my tyres are exceptionally difficult to get fully clean.  It was suggested to leave the tyres for a few weeks, to let the silicon leach out - I'm not willing to go through that.

What I am going to try, on my new tyres, is to spray the TPC on, to try and get a very even coating. I am quietly optimistic that this will produce an excellent result. I have purchased an Iwata LPH50 mini HVLP gun, with a 0.6mm nozzle.  The recommended nozzle is actually 0.8mm, but I'm trying 0.6 first.

2 hours ago, GregS said:

If so, IMHO, my tyres are exceptionally difficult to get fully clean.  It was suggested to leave the tyres for a few weeks, to let the silicon leach out - I'm not willing to go through that.

You're not willing to have undressed tires for a few weeks?  Regardless, you are hardly the first person who has had difficulty removing all the residue from previously dressed tire in preparation for a coating.  In fact one prominent "expert" suggests not even trying to coat a tire that has had conventional dressing on it before...which I find to be a bit extreme.  It just can take a lot of scrubbing with the appropriate aqueous cleaner.

First post.  Thanks for the chance to ask questions.

I got some strange results when I put the tire coating on my  two year old Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires (about 15,000 miles on them).  I recognize some of the issues I had, but for some reason the rear tires came out fine and the fronts looked great until the following day when I actually drove the car after the application. I think the temperature being just over 50 degrees was one thing and having McKee's 37 SiO2 enhanced tire shine on there previously was another issue, though I did scrub vigorously with a tuff shine tire brush using straight Power Clean, twice, though I didn't rinse but wiped it off making sure the tires were completely dry.  

For some reason the back tires were still looking good and the front tires were not.  Now that I have the issue on the fronts what do I need to do to go back to square one?  I am reading I need the T.A.R. product, but is that all I will need and then wait a few weeks for whatever is left to bloom out of the rubber?  With the weather in the Chicagoland area getting colder over the next month or two, will I have an adhesion problem even with the steps mentioned?  

T.A.R. is the only product we know that will remove TPC relatively quickly (may take multiple applications).  We recommend applying at no less than 40 degrees and curing will slow in cooler temps.  If you've read through the posts, you'll see there's a "learning curve" to TPC.  Results have varied and proper prep is essential even within the same vehicle, as you've seen.

Thanks Ron.

I'll get ahold of T.A.R. and clean with that. 

Then should I wait a few weeks to re-apply the coating?  And before application scrub with Power Clean twice again to make sure I have a viable surface?

I don't want to mess it up again.  And, I was hoping to see if the winter effect would be minimal.  Mostly have to stick to ONR washes so scrubbing tires isn't in the plan.

shouldn't take weeks, but try cleaning/re-cleaning over several days to see if bleeding stops.  Tire manufacturers put preservatives in the rubber to maintain elasticity over the lifetime (Dr G told me this), and that comes out over time and with washing, - the reason some tire dressings are so bad, they leach out the preservatives and prematurely age the rubber.

Do application temperature and curing temperature both have to be above 50 degrees? 

Reason I ask is the temperature Sunday afternoon when I applied it was low 50's but overnight we had a light frost, so they definitely went below 50 after the sun went down maybe two hours later. 

Still strange that the rears were fine.  Though they are different size tires front to rear.

Got the T.A.R. on order.

Just btw, a cheap wax & grease remover  from a hardware store easily removed a small test patch of TPC from a new tyre, however it had only been on about half a day, so wouldn't have been anywhere near fully cured.  No obvious sign of any damage to the surface.