TIRE PROTECTION AND COATING

Ron@Optimum

On 10/16/2019 at 3:04 PM, Ron@Optimum said:

If you've read through the posts, you'll see there's a "learning curve" to TPC.  Results have varied and proper prep is essential even within the same vehicle, as you've seen.

I've been spending time on detailing forums for the last 15 years, and had experience maybe 2005 or 2006 with a similar tire coating (a long gone line) which provided a solvent cleaner as a prep which didn't work very well.  Since the appearance of another popular tire coating 10 or 11 years ago with it's water-based cleaner, I've read the travails of people trying to get coatings to adhere properly and look acceptable on all kinds of tires, of varying ages, that have had various dressings used on them (or not--new tires with mold release can have similar problems).

I'm just saying if you go on a more general detailing forum, you will have a decade of horror stories and success stories with tire coatings, more threads than you can count, so it's just bemusing to me that this is a "new" topic here.

can't disagree, Setec, and that's the point I was trying to make (badly), TPC can be a great product but is not a slam dunk.  I've gotten many positive reviews on application, appearance, and durability, but also more than a few failed attempts.  As stated, even within the same tire brand or between front and backs, there's an inconsistency in success.  In addition, when there is a problem, TPC's toughness makes correction/removal difficult. 

I have not tried it yet, in part because it's hot in Arkansas and because I just bought a new vehicle and was waiting to complete that deal.  With Fall finally here my excuse is gone and I'll be testing TPC on The Garage Queen.  It will be my turn in the barrel and I'll provide honest feedback on my experience.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:22 AM, GregS said:

Just btw, a cheap wax & grease remover  from a hardware store easily removed a small test patch of TPC from a new tyre, however it had only been on about half a day, so wouldn't have been anywhere near fully cured.  No obvious sign of any damage to the surface.

It didn't remove cured TPC - or at least, nowhere near as easily. I also tried pure acetone - that didn't work either.  I did manage to get one small patch removed (dull matte finish) - I'm not sure which did the most work - the wax & grease remover,or the acetone. I didn't bother with the rest of the tyre.  I don't yet have any T.A.R.

I've just had my first spray gun session, with two brand new tyres, off the car. Move over Obsessed Garage. 🤣🤣

I did one too heavily, and the other too lightly. For the latter, if I leave it off the car and indoors, does it matter whether it cures or not, before I apply more coats?

The one that is too heavy looks surprisingly good, considering how very wet (and blue) it looked during the spraying. The main problem is that it looks a bit mottled. I initially had the thought to wipe it all off quickly and start again, but decided instead to see how it turned out. I suspect no-one will notice the mottled appearance, looking from a normal distance.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:37 PM, Ron@Optimum said:

can't disagree, Setec, and that's the point I was trying to make (badly), TPC can be a great product but is not a slam dunk.  I've gotten many positive reviews on application, appearance, and durability, but also more than a few failed attempts.  As stated, even within the same tire brand or between front and backs, there's an inconsistency in success.  In addition, when there is a problem, TPC's toughness makes correction/removal difficult. 

I think tire coatings are like paint coatings in this regard, coming from dressings and waxes, it can be sometimes difficult for people to believe the amount of prep or finesse required to get the desired result.  Just like it was difficult for people who had plenty of experience applying wax or sealant to understand the need for thin, consistent application and good lighting with a coating until they got a bunch of (very difficult to remove) high spots on their vehicle, it's hard to convince people who have extensive use of conventional tire dressings that you might have to scrub your tires 10 times and/or let them breathe for a while and do it again, to get a good tire coating result.

great example, Setec.  Dr G works overtime trying to make Optimum products easy to use, but for some it's not possible.  Our 3 newest products - TPC, Clear Coat Restorer, and Gel  Coat Restorer - are pretty unique but each has prep OR application idiosyncrasies that create complications.  As we (and others) test the products we learn Best Practices and try to pass them along, but there is that Learning Curve (populated with failures and misadventures).  Car enthusiasts are always testing the limits - product combinations, new & strange materials to apply to, application methods not in the directions, etc.  It would be impossible to test all variables (and I guarantee someone would find the exception), so we don't.

When I worked in Memphis next to Dr G, we used to have a monthly contest for the strangest, most bizarre, out there, ridiculous or outrageous question.  More than once I asked the questioner (1) why they needed the answer and (2) would they even understand the answer...

I've now sprayed my second coat to the under-applied tyre. Seeing how well the other one had tolerated heavy application, I decided to go in heavy again. I observed some puddling after application, but the puddles just seem to dissipate like magic. Indoors, I think the appearance is excellent. I am eager to see how it looks on the car outdoors - I will wait 7 days before having the tyres fitted.  Here's a photo of the freshly sprayed (but dry to the touch) tyre: https://www.dropbox.com/s/owzmodbs2syrysd/20191024_175806.jpg?dl=0  There are flecks of dust on the tyre - the flecks are NOT from the TPC.  Most of that dust was on the tyre before I sprayed it - it was very difficult to remove it all - the rubber holds on to it tenaciously.
I am also curious to see whether the over-application (I do suspect I have over-applied) causes any problems, on the car in use.
Note that the dark black background surrounding the large "Michelin" name is a rather rough surface - that is why it is not showing any lustre. It's quite interesting actually - it appears to be an extremely finely ridged surface, which creates a surface rather like felt.  Michelin appear to be rather proud of these tyres. (they are the Primacy 4)