Opti Coat Pro Maintenance

jasbir204

Hey guys,

I just got my 2016 Honda Pilot coated with Opti Coat Pro from a highly reputable detailing company and I gotta say I'm instantly impressed with the result.  My only issue is the after maintenance as they noted I should wash the car bi-weekly (after 7 days to allow the coat to cure) and use ONR as the washing aid and if needed I can go to a touch less automated car wash that they recommend.  They also said to come back around 6-8 months for a decontamination wash.  I've read multiple forums on the proper after care and I just want to make sure I am going to wash the SUV properly.

I have the regular blue ONR (the company does not carry OCNR) and the hyper seal as a drying aid, big red sponge and MF towels.

I live in Canada and during the winter I will go to a wand wash bay (they allow bucket washing if you keep putting in coins and aren't busy), power wash the SUV as a pre-soak and then use ONR with the recommended dilution for washing (1OZ per 2 gallons I think?).  I will wash one panel at a time with ONR and the sponge and from what I have read online I should use only 1 spray per panel with hyper seal and to dry immediately to prevent water spots.  I will do the same thing in the summer but I can do it at home with my power washer (in the winter its tough as the weather here gets to -10F to -30F so a wand wash bay is my best bet!)

In the spring there is at least a month of roads being covered in slush which should wash off easily with a pre-soak at a wand wash.  But if it is bad enough should I pre-rinse with a wand and then use ONR in a spray bottle (1OZ to 16OZ of water) to start working at the dirt?  If so should I do one panel at a time or spray the whole SUV with the solution?  Whether I pre-spray a panel or the whole SUV I assume to use the regular diluted ONR for washing with the sponge one panel at a time with hyper seal afterwords as usual.

Sorry if its a lot at once, just want to make sure I got it all down properly so I avoid any issues!

That's no problem, you can pre-rinse the worst off with a wand and pre-spray (either dilution works, 1 oz to 16  or 1 oz to 2 gallons, just get greater cleaning power with the stronger ratio).  I suggest doing smaller sections depending on how quickly the panels dry, expanding if possible.

1 minute ago, Ron@Optimum said:

That's no problem, you can pre-rinse the worst off with a wand and pre-spray (either dilution works, 1 oz to 16  or 1 oz to 2 gallons, just get greater cleaning power with the stronger ratio).  I suggest doing smaller sections depending on how quickly the panels dry, expanding if possible.

Thanks for the quick reply!

So for washing the SUV with Opti-Coat Pro I'm guessing for every wash I should use ONR with the above method with hyper seal and not use a automatic car wash or wand wash bay soaps etc.?  It's not a hassle to do the ONR method, just want to make sure its the best method and there isn't a better option that I missed.

2 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Correct, wash bay sprayers are OK, but they use very harsh solvents and should be avoided.

Makes sense.  Would a foam gun with OCW be of any benefit at all prior to using the ONR 2 bucket method? 

Since you noted wash bay sprayers have solvents in them, I think I will avoid wand wash bays all together and just use the ONR products.  It's just tough in the winter since the dirt and slush pile up quite a bit and a wand wash is the only place I have access to a decent power wash

If I avoid the wand wash bays, should I just pre-soak with ONR in regular dilution and use the higher dilution for lets say rocker panels and bumpers etc. for dirtier spots and then follow up with the 2 bucket method?

16 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

foam guns are excellent to use on sludge from winter.  The high dilution ONR is a pre-spray (think tar, bugs, heavy dirt, etc) or waterless wash formula but not necessarily routine full car washes.

What procedure would you recommend for  a full procedure car wash? 

jasbir204,

For a winter wash you may want to consider getting the Worx Hydroshot.  The advantage of this type of pressure washer is it is capable of drawing water from a bucket.  This will allow you to fill up a bucket with warm water (20-25 deg C) from your sink for your pre-wash step.  The pressure and flow of the Hydroshot is fairly low but adequate when using  15 deg pattern to remove build up on the sides, front and rear of vehicle.  Another tool to consider is a small pump pressure sprayer for applying ONR pre-soak solution.  Any of the garden type you can buy in the hardware store will work (typically $5-$12) but the iK 1.5 Multi Sprayer is a far superior tool if you don't mind spending more money (typically $40-$45).

This is my winter wash procedure:

1.  Prepare ONR solution at 256:1 ratio (standard) in bucket using warm water.

2. Fill second bucket with warm water.

3. Fill multi-sprayer with warm ONR solution from bucket.  If you feel you  need higher dilution ratio, add some more drops of ONR to sprayer.  I used to use higher dilution ratio but typically stick with standard for pre-soak these days.  Apply pre-soak to all panels with visible dirt build-up (typically front, lower sides and rear).  I don't usually bother with pre-soak on windows and roof unless there is visible dirt.

4. Using Hydroshot hooked up to warm water bucket, rinse off pre-soak/dirt from vehicle.

5. Wash vehicle panel by panel starting from top using warm ONR solution and BRS

6. Apply Hyper Seal as drying aid and dry vehicle panel by panel.

7. After all paint clean, using cheap microfiber towels in remaining ONR to wipe down tires and wheels.  Use Hyper-Seal on rims as drying aid.

I would consider  moving the Hyper-Seal to a different sprayer.  I find the supplied sprayer lays down too much product.  Or consider just doing a partial pull (third to half pull) of the trigger per panel.

14 hours ago, Detail Mutant said:

jasbir204,

For a winter wash you may want to consider getting the Worx Hydroshot.  The advantage of this type of pressure washer is it is capable of drawing water from a bucket.  This will allow you to fill up a bucket with warm water (20-25 deg C) from your sink for your pre-wash step.  The pressure and flow of the Hydroshot is fairly low but adequate when using  15 deg pattern to remove build up on the sides, front and rear of vehicle.  Another tool to consider is a small pump pressure sprayer for applying ONR pre-soak solution.  Any of the garden type you can buy in the hardware store will work (typically $5-$12) but the iK 1.5 Multi Sprayer is a far superior tool if you don't mind spending more money (typically $40-$45).

This is my winter wash procedure:

1.  Prepare ONR solution at 256:1 ratio (standard) in bucket using warm water.

2. Fill second bucket with warm water.

3. Fill multi-sprayer with warm ONR solution from bucket.  If you feel you  need higher dilution ratio, add some more drops of ONR to sprayer.  I used to use higher dilution ratio but typically stick with standard for pre-soak these days.  Apply pre-soak to all panels with visible dirt build-up (typically front, lower sides and rear).  I don't usually bother with pre-soak on windows and roof unless there is visible dirt.

4. Using Hydroshot hooked up to warm water bucket, rinse off pre-soak/dirt from vehicle.

5. Wash vehicle panel by panel starting from top using warm ONR solution and BRS

6. Apply Hyper Seal as drying aid and dry vehicle panel by panel.

7. After all paint clean, using cheap microfiber towels in remaining ONR to wipe down tires and wheels.  Use Hyper-Seal on rims as drying aid.

I would consider  moving the Hyper-Seal to a different sprayer.  I find the supplied sprayer lays down too much product.  Or consider just doing a partial pull (third to half pull) of the trigger per panel.

I will look into the Hydroshot, I think I saw something similar at a Home Depot here so I'll look around.  Thank you for the detailed steps, definitely gives me a piece of mind going forward when washing the car.

3 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

While everyone has their own personal wash methodology, Detail Mutant's is excellent, thorough, and safe.  I don't live in a Winter State, don't deal with the same issues...and not apologizing!

Yeah the winters here are brutal, I may need to go through a automatic wash once every two months at least to get rid of the salt and sand that will pile up underneath the SUV.  And then wash it afterwords properly of course to avoid the film issues.

10 hours ago, jasbir204 said:

Yeah the winters here are brutal, I may need to go through a automatic wash once every two months at least to get rid of the salt and sand that will pile up underneath the SUV.  And then wash it afterwords properly of course to avoid the film issues.

Sometimes I will run my car through Petro Canada Touchless Car Wash especially when it is bitterly cold.  Just be aware that touchless car wash uses some very aggressive chemicals so you should ensure your Opti-Coat Pro is fully cured before subjecting to this treatment.  Optimum coatings cure based upon humidity level in the air.  So with the significantly lower current temperatures, humidity in the air is lower.  ONR wash after a week is fine but a touchless car wash (or any alkaline or acidic cleaners) I would wait a minimum of 3 weeks in Ontario winters.  If it was applied in summer (high humidity)you would be fine after a week for the harsh chemicals.

13 minutes ago, Detail Mutant said:

Sometimes I will run my car through Petro Canada Touchless Car Wash especially when it is bitterly cold.  Just be aware that touchless car wash uses some very aggressive chemicals so you should ensure your Opti-Coat Pro is fully cured before subjecting to this treatment.  Optimum coatings cure based upon humidity level in the air.  So with the significantly lower current temperatures, humidity in the air is lower.  ONR wash after a week is fine but a touchless car wash (or any alkaline or acidic cleaners) I would wait a minimum of 3 weeks in Ontario winters.  If it was applied in summer (high humidity)you would be fine after a week for the harsh chemicals.

I will wait a month or two until I run it through a automatic wash. I just bought some waffle weave towels, hyper seal etc to prepare to wash it regularly. 

On 1/16/2019 at 9:02 PM, Detail Mutant said:

Hi,

I was wondering if you use the same method in the summer?  I am going to use your method for the winter and in the summer I was thinking about starting with the Optimum Car Wash as a pre-soak (I have a foam cannon for my pressure washer), wash it all off and then continuing on with the rest of your method.

Detail Mutants method will work year around.  With less grunge buildup in the summer you might skip the foam step if the car is not too dirty.  Living in a warm weather state, I don't use the foam gun.  I do pre-spray every wash.

Archived