Opti Coat Pro Maintenance

jasbir204

4 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Detail Mutants method will work year around.  With less grunge buildup in the summer you might skip the foam step if the car is not too dirty.  Living in a warm weather state, I don't use the foam gun.  I do pre-spray every wash.

In Manitoba they use tons of sand and salt in the winter and it really doesn't clean up 100% through the summer so dirt buildup still happens.  I may wash weekly so I don't have to use the car wash soap, but it wouldn't hurt if I foamed it onto the car and rinsed it off prior to the ONR method right?

31 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

blinded!

Another question for yourself.  When washing using the BRS I will be going one panel at a time.  In the summer with high heat and humidity, should I spray on the Hyper Seal and dry immediately?  I'm assuming in a wash bay where temperature is ok I could wash all panels (cleaning the sponge prior to moving to the next panel) and then dry the SUV all at once.

In high heat its better to do a panel at a time (wash & dry) but in a wash bay or garage where temps are steady you can wash one entire side of the car and dry that entire side and then move to the other side and do the same so you can wash a larger section of the car before you dry. 

Thats what I do now in winter and colder days...wash the entire driver side from top to bottom, move to the front, wash the passenger side and lastly do the back of the car. It saves me a lot of time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

How long can dirt, sand, salt etc from melted snow on roads stay on before it becomes a hazard? Everything melted today and it's going to be hot for a few days so I'm not sure if it has to be washed off ASAP or if I can wash it in  a few days. 

jasbir204,

For those areas treated with Opti-Coat Pro you are chemically protected that there should be no concern.  The issue is potential mechanical abrasion from foreign objects (ie people) rubbing against the panels with all those contaminants (especially sand) which could lightly scratch the paint (even with Opti-Coat).  I would consider doing the pre-wash steps (1-4)from my winter wash procedure to knock off the heavy contaminants if you don't have time for full wash or consider running through touchless  car wash .

I'm going to wash using Detail Mutant's method tomorrow or Friday as it seems to be the most reliable and safe one from what I've seen so far from someone who experiences winter like I do, but because I'm a beginner user I'm going to add a step or two just until I'm fully confident in the technique.  This is my slightly modified method at a coin op

1. Pre-soak using the 1OZ  to 16OZ solution as Ron noted (we had a hot spell and the bumper and rocker panels are really dirty, need the extra power), but my hand held sprayer is 1.5L in size so I'm going to fill it up to just under 1L mark and add 2OZ of ONR to make the QD solution (I think that's the proper dilution)

2. Rinse off with a pressure washer 

3. Pre-soak the first two panels that I'm going to wash with regular diluted ONR  to add some lubrication , and as I move further I will pre-soak the next panel and so on.

4. Clean with BRS and dry using hyper seal panel by panel

As I get comfortable I may reduce steps but I think this would be the most fail proof in reducing marring etc. as long my washing and drying technique is proper.

I think the 1:16 dilution ratio for ONR is too high.  I believe the highest recommended dilution ratio is 1:32 as a quick detailer/waterless wash solution (or 1 oz to approx. 1 L).  Anything higher can be subject to streaking and is just wasteful.  I used to use 1:32 dilution ratio for pre-soak but found it not much more effective than standard 1:256 dilution ratio especially when using pressure washer with warm water (Worx Hydroshot).  For specific dirty areas with lots of bonded contaminants, I will typically pre-soak with Power Clean at 1:5 dilution ratio which has more bite than any ONR dilution ratio.

Your step 3 is maybe unnecessary especially since the pre-soak (step 1) and pressure washer rinse (step 2) will have removed 90-95% of contaminants from the vehicle surface making washing with BRS and ONR very safe.  Before I acquired my Worx Hydroshot, I was washing my car in winter with only pre-soak and then attacking panels with BRS.  I could here "crunching" as the BRS passed over the panel but no noticeable scratches.

22 minutes ago, Detail Mutant said:

I think the 1:16 dilution ratio for ONR is too high.  I believe the highest recommended dilution ratio is 1:32 as a quick detailer/waterless wash solution (or 1 oz to approx. 1 L).  Anything higher can be subject to streaking and is just wasteful.  I used to use 1:32 dilution ratio for pre-soak but found it not much more effective than standard 1:256 dilution ratio especially when using pressure washer with warm water (Worx Hydroshot).  For specific dirty areas with lots of bonded contaminants, I will typically pre-soak with Power Clean at 1:5 dilution ratio which has more bite than any ONR dilution ratio.

Your step 3 is maybe unnecessary especially since the pre-soak (step 1) and pressure washer rinse (step 2) will have removed 90-95% of contaminants from the vehicle surface making washing with BRS and ONR very safe.  Before I acquired my Worx Hydroshot, I was washing my car in winter with only pre-soak and then attacking panels with BRS.  I could here "crunching" as the BRS passed over the panel but no noticeable scratches.

Oh weird, Ron had mentioned earlier in this thread to use 1:16 dilution for a quick detailer. 

Yeah I think step 3 is most likely unnecessary, but in my mind extra lubrication may not hurt especially as I figure things out and get a proper method in place. 

Archived