Why Gloss Coat?

Sjbiss

Hi Everyone,

I’m planning on coating my car this spring for the first time.  I currently use ONR, Power Clean and Opti Seal and am torn between Gloss Coat and Cquartz UK.   I like Gloss Coat  because of the ease of application and the optimum synergy but UK seems to be highly rated by the YouTube reviewers for hydrophobics and self cleaning.  It also seems like Gloss Coat hasn’t been updated in a few years.  

I drive a black vehicle and my primary purpose for wanting a coating is to help against marring, self cleaning and, of course, gloss.   Hoping you can help me choose by giving me the reasons to choose OGC.

Thanks for your help.

The CarPro coating is obviously a popular and highly regarded product.  Gloss Coat sounds like a coating which is as easy to use as Opti Seal so maybe a little easier than the CarPro but try the OPT coating as you have used their products and know they work without much effort.

I don't know if Gloss Coat has been changed or not but OPT do tweak their products without notice so it is possible it has been updated.  Also it is worth thinking that ONR, Power Clean and Opti Seal have not had significant changes in the last few years but they still perform well.  I think the last big tweak to ONR was around 2012!

CarPro CQuartz UK is a SiO2 based coating and will require periodic refresh with Carpro Reload (or other SiO2 based spray sealant) in order to maintain hydrophobic properties for the full rated 18-24 month life.  My understanding is SiO2 coatings are subject to microscopic cracking due expansion and contraction of the underlying panels and will require SiO2 spray sealant to fill in those cracks to maintain the hydrophobic properties.

Optimum Gloss Coat is a hybrid coating that is both SiC (Silica Carbide) and SiO2.  All optimum pro coatings are based solely on SiC which does not require any maintenance product to refresh coating (typically recommend annual decontamination using Ferrex and mild claying).  So Gloss Coat contains product (SiC) that does not require refresh over the rated 24 month life.  The SiO2 in Gloss Coat provides the instant gloss after application.  Other Optimum Pro coatings (SiC) are at max gloss after 7 day cure window.

To maintain maximum gloss with Gloss Coat, I would recommend you acquire Hyper Seal from either your local Optimum Pro dealer or directly from Optimum store (only places to purchase) to use as drying aid when doing ONR wash as it contains SiO2 .

In order to achieve 2 year life of Gloss Coat, proper prep is required (wash, clay, polish with Hyper Polish, wipe down with Paint Prep and apply Gloss Coat).

The other advantage of Gloss Coat is that it is cured enough after 1 hour to apply Opti-Seal as a protectant against environmental contamination for the entire 7 day cure time.  I believe Carpro CQuartz recommends 8-24 hrs before exposure to rain/moisture and need to protect from bird droppings and water spots during 7 day cure time.

Probably because no other company has been able to duplicate Dr. G's formula.  In addition, SiO2 appears to be latest fad so everyone is getting in on it.  

You won't be disappointed with Gloss Coat.  It makes the paint really shine especially on darker coloured paints.

Getting ready to place my order and have 2 more questions.  I have a 4D Jeep Wrangler soft top, is 20cc enough for 2 coats?  The fenders and numbers are textured plastic, can GC be applied to these or is there another product I should look at?

Thanks again

I wouldn't bother with 2 coats as SiC does not lend itself to a layering (Opti Pro coatings cannot be layered).  The only reason for a second coat is if you were not diligent on the first coat and missed some areas and might get those areas on second coat.  I would recommend  you take your time and apply more thoroughly in a single coat.  Gloss coat is capable of being applied to the textured plastic fenders and bumpers but will probably not offer the same level of longevity as when applied to clear coat paint. I would apply the initial Gloss coat to the plastic but maintain those areas with Opti-seal as drying aid during ONR wash.

For mid size cars (BMW 328 and Jaguar XE), I have typically used 5-6 cc including rims (5 cc for body panels and 1 cc for rim face only).  For a Kia Sorrento, I used 7 cc including rims and for a Kia Sedona minivan, I used 8 cc including rims.  For a Jeep Wrangler, I would estimate 5.5-6.5 cc  (similar to Sorrento but less due to soft top).  So unless you are going to coat a second vehicle larger than mid-size, you might want to stick with  a 10 cc syringe.

12 hours ago, Detail Mutant said:

I wouldn't bother with 2 coats as SiC does not lend itself to a layering (Opti Pro coatings cannot be layered). 

I'm not sure this is relevant as Gloss-Coat is not an SiC coating but is some sort of "hybrid" (SiC/SiO2?).

Beyond that, I'm not sure that we ever really nailed down the layering issue...back in the OC 2.0 days when Chris was the rep on the forum, we got all kinds of different answers about layering.  It was also discussed with Opti-Lens, which like OC 2.0, is/was not a hybrid coating.  IIRC with the Opti-Lens, we were told you could recoat if you did it within an hour or something.

I read somewhere that two coats also helps with gloss.  Unless it will do harm, I will do two coats because I really enjoy the process and it gives me comfort that I got good coverage.  Another quick question:  How many coating removal towels do I need?  Do I need to flip the towel after each 2x2 section because the coating will start to harden?    

Several questions, corrections - not important to this discussion, but you can layer Opti-Coat Pro as well as Gloss-Coat (we do not recommend more than 3 layers), additional coats DO NOT increase durability but insure complete coverage and some believe amp the gloss.  Why has no one duplicated Dr G's SiC formula (that I know of), no idea, but the knock on OCP was lack of gloss/slickness that customers seem to desire.  Gloss-Coat and OCP+ have Si02 components that add those characteristics.  It  may be that they can't duplicate Doc's formula or that it's more expensive/troublesome, or are satisfied with what they have.  Detail Mutant is accurate is product use estimates, though it depends on the installer and what is coated.  We recommend coating plastic, vinyl, glass, metal, etc.  One towel should be enough and the applicator pad/towels can be washed (dish detergent/Power Clean) and reused infinitely.  FYI, you are not "removing" Gloss-Coat, simply distributing it evenly - no pressure on the towel. 

21 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

We recommend coating plastic, vinyl, glass, metal, etc. 

Exception being not recommended to coat front windshield (or any other glass subject to wiper blade abrasion). In those areas, it is recommended to use Opti-Glass coating with periodic maintenance top-up of Optimum Glass Clean and Protect.  I personally did not coat any of my glass with Gloss Coat.  I just use Optimum Glass Clean and Protect after every wash and my front windshield was coated with Opti-Pro Glass coating during Optimization training (my car was used as demo for application).

Because I'm cheap (like Yvan), I would not waste Gloss Coat to apply second coat to potentially amp gloss.  Best and most effective way to amp gloss is to use Hyper Seal after the 7 day fully cured window as well as continuous maintenance drying aid. I would prefer to save a few cc of Gloss Coat as insurance to reapply to select panels that may get scratched and need compounding/polishing followed by re-application of Gloss Coat.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/5/2020 at 10:34 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

Dr G mentioned graphene on a Zoom call last evening (related to SEMA) - said it's a marketing buzzword and no one actually uses true graphene.

My apologies if repeating myself, but it would be great to read or see something definite as to what Graphene coatings really are.  I understand Opti-Coat Pro coatings are Silicon Carbide that bond to clear coat and as result are very durable.  But graphene?   A black oxide suspended/dispersed in some sort of Matrix  (SiO2 ?  Portzabee Wax?  Furshinluggner mystery compound? Those certainly won't be "1 atom thick")  ?

Side note: I wonder what TurtleWax did to get rid of the blackish appearance of Graphene in their "Flex Wax" version.  Or are they using pseudo-Graphene ?  I tried it before getting Opti-Coat Pro - didn't live up to its hype.