Clear Coat Restorer

Lowejackson

Well, first time I've ever seen someone wash a car in a jacket and bowtie.  As requested the questions/answers from the YouTube comments:

Questions:

1. Is it permanent?

2. Can it be used to fill and level panels like an old fashioned glaze would?

3. Can it be used on "good" paint that is micromared in place of polishing?

4. Is there a limit to the depth of scratches it will fill? E.g., if you have a panel with scratches not quite down to the base but visible, can you use this to fill them in?

5. Is it as hard as original clear? Can it be polished? 

Answers:

1 yes

2 better

3 yes, but if it can be polished go that route.

4 as long as when you wet the surface with Optimum Paint Prep it looks good, Optimum Clear Coat Restorer will give you that look permanently.

5 yes, and it can be polished.

They won't be able to keep this stuff in stock.  I hope no one sets their shop/house on fire by balling up that MF and throwing it in the garbage.  I'm also questioning the cap--I realize an applicator cap would get clogged, but I'm going to spill that bottle.  I think I will find some kind of applicator caps at US Plastics and use that while I'm applying and then throw the cap out afterwards.

Does anybody know when this product is going to be for sale?

I also have one more question--if you need to put it in the fridge or freezer to keep it, how does it not "age" during shipment?  And is it going to be refrigerated in the distributor warehouse?  Is it refrigerated at the OPT warehouse?

Answering my own questions and adding a couple more...

Looks like this is for sale already at TRC...any ideas when it will be in the Optimum store?

It's very expensive at $90 a bottle...but then again--sounds like a miracle in a bottle.

Says refrigerate after opening--shelf life 30 days--so, even if you put it in the freezer, it will only last 30 days after you open it?

Do you need to use a respirator if you are using this outside, or only for enclosed spaces?

This seems like it would be a "super-coating"...is it possible/expected that this would be used instead of something like Opti-Coat or Gloss-Coat?

Since I asked if this is an alternate possibly to conventional coatings--do we know what the film build is for this product?  If I recall Gloss-Coat was less than a micron, OC 2.0 was maybe 1-2 microns, and Opti-Coat Pro was over 2 microns (I'm probably remembering that all wrong).  Any idea what the thickness of Clear Coat Restorer will be?

Optimum Clear Coat Restorer should be available at opticoat.com now.  Application depth varies from 5 - 10  microns.  The product should be kept frozen/refrigerated (is kept frozen at OPT) and after opening has 30 days shelf life IF kept cool.  Always wear a respirator and follow instructions on towels (they can combust).

We still recommend Coating over CCR, Coatings are harder and more chemically resistant then CCR.  You maintain the manufacturer's clear as long as possible, but CCR is better than body shop clear.

Several funny stories on CCR...will share someday!

3 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Optimum Clear Coat Restorer should be available at opticoat.com now.  Application depth varies from 5 - 10  microns.  The product should be kept frozen/refrigerated (is kept frozen at OPT) and after opening has 30 days shelf life IF kept cool.  Always wear a respirator and follow instructions on towels (they can combust).

Several funny stories on CCR...will share someday!

I'd say get this product while you can, because after the first guy sets his house on fire by balling up the MF and throwing it his garage garbage, the rest of us will be out of luck.  I'd say most people don't understand exothermic reactions.

How is the UV resistance of this?  How would this product be for headlights?  Would you use it differently than Opti-Lens?  Would you sand and not polish, then apply this?  Then top with Opti-Lens?

Oh, also...Ron?  Are you going to post an SDS for this?  Were you able to find a way to get them in the Downloads section of the Forum?

And while I'm at it...is it possible to get the thread size on the bottle?  I'm looking at those videos of Yvan and I'm sure I'm going to spill my bottle and waste it all.  I'd like to get a dispenser cap to use just while I'm applying then I'll put the supplied cap back on for storage.