Not removing Hyper Compound Residue

Lowejackson

Meant to ask this ages ago.  On this video, around 1:20 it says there is no need to wipe off the Hyper Compound residue if using Hyper Polish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyE1ELDkwm4

Whilst this looks like a great time saver, what happens to all the paint swarf from the compounding stage as well as left over compound abrasives?  Do the fractured abrasives end up roughly the same size as the polish abrasives?

During the Optimization course I attended with Yvan I asked a similar question assuming that the abrasives were diminishing.  I was informed that Hyper Compound (or any other Hyper product) does not use diminishing abrasives.  I followed up with asking about those abrasives impacting the following polishing stage when left on the paint surface and Yvan indicated that most of the abrasives are picked up in the pad so that few are left on the paint surface impacting the follow up polish stage.   He also indicated that by applying a light spritz of ONR after working Hyper Compound will allow for additional cut/working time (assume ONR allows abrasives trapped in pad to migrate back to paint surface.  

Didn't ask about the paint swarf but assume similar concept that most is picked up and trapped in pad as you work compound leaving minimal amount on paint surface.

This recommendation has been around a long time, I remember Scottwax on Autopia talking about this with I think the original Optimum polishes.  I recall it was compound, go right over it with polish, then take the residue off with OCW, done.  I think that's good for a pro detailer on a regular car (or someone who's got physical issues where they want to do less wiping), I'm not sure I'd ever do it.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:09 AM, Detail Mutant said:

During the Optimization course I attended with Yvan I asked a similar question assuming that the abrasives were diminishing.  I was informed that Hyper Compound (or any other Hyper product) does not use diminishing abrasives.  I followed up with asking about those abrasives impacting the following polishing stage when left on the paint surface and Yvan indicated that most of the abrasives are picked up in the pad so that few are left on the paint surface impacting the follow up polish stage.   He also indicated that by applying a light spritz of ONR after working Hyper Compound will allow for additional cut/working time (assume ONR allows abrasives trapped in pad to migrate back to paint surface.  

Didn't ask about the paint swarf but assume similar concept that most is picked up and trapped in pad as you work compound leaving minimal amount on paint surface.

The debate about what abrasives are used seems to continue.  Ron quoted Dr G who said the compounds & GPS are DAT and the others are SMAT  http://optimumforums.org/topic/60048-intensive-polish-new-or-reformulated-hyper-compound/?tab=comments#comment-85623.

The ONR spraying is interesting, I know Yvan has talked about using Hyper products on a dampened pad but I was not aware of the spraying Hyper Compound to extend the working time.  If ONR allows the abrasives to migrate back to the surface and this would seem to make sense as the abrasives would be heavier than the polishing oils, rather like dirt falls to the bottom of a ONR bucker, presumably the smaller particles of paint swarf would also migrate to the pad surface? 

Archived