ONR Wash and Wax with Opti-Seal

lutzjs

I currently use ONR Wash and Wax for both my vehicles, and have been watching a lot of videos on paint sealants. I've been interested in Bead Maker as well as Opti-Seal. I prefer how easy it is to apply Opti-Seal, but was watching one of ONR's videos on the rag company about layering products, and it stated that a sealant shouldn't be placed over top of a wax. But that a wax could be placed over top of a sealant. 

If I'm wanting to use Opti-Seal should I purchase ONR Wash and Shine and use that instead of the ONR Wash and Wax? 

not sure what Rag Company video you refer to, but sealants are layered over wax (and vice versa) all the time.  Last weekend I detailed a friends car, washing with ONR with Wax and used Opti-Seal as a drying aid...no issues.  Opti-Seal migrates through wax to the paint.

Btw, you really will notice the wax-look when using that combo, ONR Wash & Wax and Opti-Seal as a drying aid. I was sceptic at first and though there is not enough wax to change the glass/glossy-look of Opti-Seal but our red car proved I was wrong! 😁

The video I was referring to was this one - 

- it was actually a really good video, and talks about the layering of sealants over waxes close to the 2:44 mark. Yvan actually discusses how to use Opti-Seal as a drying aid as well as mentioned above, but he discussed Optimum's Wax in general. I didn't know if the wax used in ONR wash and wax was any different from their spray wax. I'll have to give Opti-Seal a try as a drying aid as mentioned in your replies. 

• 4 weeks later...

Currently I am doing ONR wash with big red sponge. While panel is still wet with ONR, I spray Optimum Car wax on the panel. I take a damp ONR microfiber towel that is wringed out so it isn’t going to dilute the optimum car wax, I use the towel to pick up any smudges/dirt on the paint that I may of missed with the big red sponge. Then I take a dry microfiber towel and I wipe the panel dry.

i got this idea from how Ivan has been using the Clay towel to spread the wax. The only difference is I’m not using the clay towel but a regular microfiber towel damp with ONR.

once it is wiped dry, I apply a spray wax like Turtle wax Ice or the Meguiars D156 Cote’s spray wax. However I don’t really know if adding the spray wax would interfere with optimum car wax as I didn’t let the wax “cure” before putting on another spray wax.

6 hours ago, Kiddetailer said:

i got this idea from how Ivan has been using the Clay towel to spread the wax. The only difference is I’m not using the clay towel but a regular microfiber towel damp with ONR.

once it is wiped dry, I apply a spray wax like Turtle wax Ice or the Meguiars D156 Cote’s spray wax. However I don’t really know if adding the spray wax would interfere with optimum car wax as I didn’t let the wax “cure” before putting on another spray wax.

Kiddetailer,

My understanding is Turtle Wax Ice and Meguiars D156 Synthetic Wax are both synthetic waxes (no natural carnauba wax but effectively a polymer sealant like Opti-Seal).  Since Optimum doesn't test other companies products, there is no guarantee that these products can migrate through the Optimum Spray Wax like Opti-Seal.  If you prefer to use these products, it might be best to reverse your process by applying synthetic wax as drying aid during ONR wash and follow up with Optimum Car Wax afterwards. 

The only time to reverse the process is when you are in fact using a clay towel (or intend to use Opti-Seal which is confirmed to migrate through).  This is because Optimum Spray Wax provides the best lubricity in order to minimize the risk of marring using the clay media (abrasive) as demonstrated by Yvan.  If you intend to perform some form of paint correction after claying then Optimum Car Wax should not be necessary.

When layering natural carnauba wax, the recommended cure time between coats is 1-24 hours which will depend on environment and method of application as it requires time to dry as a hard layer before second layer is applied.  Because Optimum Car Wax comes in spray form, I assume cure time in most cases would be 1 hour or less.  Polymer sealants are different as they attempt to form a chemical bond with the paint and should be applied directly on bare paint wherever possible for maximum durability otherwise as you shed the shorter life carnauba wax, you will also loose the polymer sealant.