Optiseal after Optigloss

Scott

Hi Ron, Can Optiseal be used after optigloss has cured and for future reference when is the “optimum” time to use optiseal after applying Optigloss? Thank you! I appreciate reading your responses to everyone’s inquiry’s. Nice to know the manufacturer cares so much about its customers.

The best time to apply Optiseal after any Optimum coating (Gloss Coat or any professional Opti-Coat coating) is 1 hour after application.  It provides addition protection for the coating during the full chemical resistant 7 day cure period (bird droppings, hard water, etc).  During the cure period, the coating will shed the Optiseal and my understanding is Optiseal will be shed fairly quickly on any Optimum coating.  A better product to use for maintenance after the 7 day cure window (do not use in first 7 days as it can impact cure of coating)  is Opti-Coat Hyper seal.  It is an SiO2 based spray sealant that will help maintain SiO2 component in the hybrid Gloss Coat (both SiO2 and SiC).

49 minutes ago, Detail Mutant said:

The best time to apply Optiseal after any Optimum coating (Gloss Coat or any professional Opti-Coat coating) is 1 hour after application.  It provides addition protection for the coating during the full chemical resistant 7 day cure period (bird droppings, hard water, etc).  During the cure period, the coating will shed the Optiseal and my understanding is Optiseal will be shed fairly quickly on any Optimum coating.  A better product to use for maintenance after the 7 day cure window (do not use in first 7 days as it can impact cure of coating)  is Opti-Coat Hyper seal.  It is an SiO2 based spray sealant that will help maintain SiO2 component in the hybrid Gloss Coat (both SiO2 and SiC).

Hey Mutant,

Thank you. I kept reading about Hyperseal here on the forum, but haven’t been able to locate it on Detailed Image (DI) web site. Is it only available to professionals? I am guessing from your advice, that there really is no reason/need to apply Optiseal over Optimum Gloss Coat. Correct?

Its been 48 hours since I applied Optimum Gloss Coat.  After the 7 day cure, If I can’t find Hyperseal, would it be advised to apply OSW over Gloss Coat?

Hyper Seal is available from approved installers or at the opticoat.com store under the "Maintenance" tab.  Do not apply Hyper Seal over ceramic coating for 7 days, but Opti-Seal can be applied after 1 hour.  Sealants provide protection during the 7 day "soap free" cure time while chemical resistance it building.  They also give you a sacrificial layer for bugs, tar, water spots. etc.

2 hours ago, Scott said:

Hey Mutant,

Thank you. I kept reading about Hyperseal here on the forum, but haven’t been able to locate it on Detailed Image (DI) web site. Is it only available to professionals? I am guessing from your advice, that there really is no reason/need to apply Optiseal over Optimum Gloss Coat. Correct?

Its been 48 hours since I applied Optimum Gloss Coat.  After the 7 day cure, If I can’t find Hyperseal, would it be advised to apply OSW over Gloss Coat?

Scott,

Optiseal on coated paint I find is best used as a drying aid (spray when panel is wet and wipe off) as it provides added slickness when using a drying towel to prevent marring.  But Hyperseal can accomplish the same thing with added topper protection that will last longer.  As Ron indicated, Opti-Coat products can only be purchased from opticoat.com or from your local Opti-Coat authorized installer.  Optiseal I find is best used on the interior (especially interior windows).

Optimum Spray Wax will work over Gloss Coat and is the recommended lubricant for the Ultimate clay towel over Optimum coated vehicles.  But again the longevity of the topper is significantly reduced on coated paint vs bare paint.  OSW will also change the hydrophobic properties while it is present on the coating (more beading and less sheeting) potentially reducing the self cleaning properties.  But the OSW will generally provide more "depth" to the observed reflection in the paint.

Besides Hyperseal, the one other Optimum product that I find adds a lot to a coated car is Optimum Instant Detailer (OID).  The gloss enhancers in OID really increase the shine of the coating.  You don't really need Optiseal or OSW  for additional protection with coating so best to go with OID that makes the paint pop if you can't easily get some Hyperseal. 

I know some people complain about the cost of Hyperseal but on a volume basis it is in fact cheaper than optiseal at regular price ( it is generally 50-75% more expensive but you are getting twice the volume, 16 oz vs 8 oz). Just don't expect any discounts on listed price for Opti-Coat products unlike other Optimum products due to the limited distribution. 

Another product to consider as a topper is P&S Beadmaker.  It adds lots of slickness and increases gloss significantly after the full 4 hour cure window.  Just note that it's impact to hydrophobic properties will be similar to OSW (intense beading and less sheeting).  And a lot more product is required to be applied (4 to 8 oz for full initial application).

3 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Hyper Seal is available from approved installers or at the opticoat.com store under the "Maintenance" tab.  Do not apply Hyper Seal over ceramic coating for 7 days, but Opti-Seal can be applied after 1 hour.  Sealants provide protection during the 7 day "soap free" cure time while chemical resistance it building.  They also give you a sacrificial layer for bugs, tar, water spots. etc.

Gentleman, I have typed several replies to your generously supplied answers and have clicked on “Submit Reply” yet I don’t see that they actually post. I just want you to know how grateful I am for your kind advice. Let’s see if this posts...

Gentlemen,

I have replied to both of your answers and thanked you for your kind generosity and your time. I do have a professional detailer, one whom I’m sure your community will know very well. He has worked on my cars for years and has taught me plenty about detailing my cars and motorcycles. I always ordered my products and tools (buffers lights, pads, and supplies) through him. He was working on a huge project this weekend and I did not want to bother him when I discovered this forum. I’m not certain he would want me using his name on Optimum’s Forum so I’ll leave him anonymous for now.

Interestingly enough, I think my detailer underestimated my skills in applying a coating. Therefore he recommended Opti Gloss Coat rather than a ceramic  coating. I had absolutely no issues in the paint correcting process using Griots and Rupes Buffers, LC Pads, Decontamination Products, Hyper Compound,  Hyper Polish, and Car Pro’s Erase, or applying Optimum Gloss Coat.  Everything went smoothly and my paint looks like a mirror. I will most likely apply a ceramic coating next time. I certainly wish I would’ve this time.

I was able to order up the optimum  hyperseal this morning from the website you both suggested: opticoat..com.

Just to be clear, I am going to apply the optimum hyper seal after the seven day cure time. 

To mutant; I have all of the products such as OID you mentioned in your earlier answer, I just had never heard of Optimum Hyperseal. Thank you so much.

You have been very helpful. 

Scott

Scott, you are most welcome - car enthusiasts love to help!  By the way, while product descriptions can be marketing gimmicks, Gloss Coat is a ceramic coating.  The magic is in the chemistry - the Opti-Coat Pro line is SiC and most others are SiO2 (there are some detailed explanations in this forum on the differences).  Gloss-Coat is a hybrid containing components of both formulas - SiC for durability and SiO2 for gloss/slickness.  With good  maintenance and regular use of Hyper Seal, your Gloss-Coat will last for years.