Yvan Retiring?

Setec Astronomy

3 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

I don't test competitive products but I can't say that DR G doesn't...

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought in the past you've told us that Dr. G/Optimum doesn't test competitor's products.  That's great if he has started to do that, it will certainly give him more perspective.

EDIT:  Here's something from a few months ago that apparently gave me the wrong idea:

I don't get the confusion, Setec, I didn't test RainX, in my experience most chemicals don't bond to coatings (including Opti-Glass) and that's what I said.  I also don't know if Dr G actually tests competitors, but I know he checks out their chemical composition and his experience tells him if they're better or not.  He is very confident that the new ONR is equal or better than the competition and only time will tell.

44 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

I don't get the confusion, Setec.  I also don't know if Dr G actually tests competitors, but I know he checks out their chemical composition and his experience tells him if they're better or not.

I guess I'm easily confused.  I had thought that many times in passing you had said something to the effect that "OPT does not test other manufacturer's products", but you've cleared it up now.  Sorry for the confusion.

To be more accurate, I have never seen OPT test our products with competitors - one on top of the other - to see how that react.  I know of 1 case where we comped the results of an Optimum product against a competitor - Meguiars polish, which was the standard - during development of Hyper Polish.  Whenever I'm asked how this product would work on ours, or vice versa I respond that we don't test that way...and we don't.  Hope that clears it up -

On 11/9/2020 at 11:47 AM, Setec Astronomy said:

You know I love Optimum Ron...but many times you will tell us you can't compare any other products to Optimum products, because you/Optimum/Dr. G don't test competing products...if that is true, then how do you know that ONR is superior to anything else in the marketplace?

One great truth about Dr.G and Optimum is that what Dr. G. says is always accurate. If he says that pro plus is 2 microns thick then thats how thick it is. If he says that the new onr is the best no rinse wash then its true. These youtube guys that test multiple products have a bias. They are not looking at the science. I don't have to test another coating against opti coat pro 3 to know that there is no other coating that can compare to it not even pro plus. I know this because of the science and its performance by those trusted reps that put it through the wringer. If Dr. G backs a product with a fact you know it can be trusted.

• 9 months later...
On 11/16/2020 at 2:48 PM, Tug Bankert said:

One great truth about Dr.G and Optimum is that what Dr. G. says is always accurate. If he says that pro plus is 2 microns thick then thats how thick it is. If he says that the new onr is the best no rinse wash then its true. These youtube guys that test multiple products have a bias. They are not looking at the science. I don't have to test another coating against opti coat pro 3 to know that there is no other coating that can compare to it not even pro plus. I know this because of the science and its performance by those trusted reps that put it through the wringer. If Dr. G backs a product with a fact you know it can be trusted.

I tend to agree but isn't Dr G biased towards his own creations? Of course! That's why we need strong 3rd party independent testing.

On 11/9/2020 at 2:36 PM, Outback said:

I guess I should have added that he said ONR is a great product but what he likes about the 914 McKees is that it leaves nothing behind, ONR leaves some Polymers on the service which it has cleaned. 

This is true N914 leaves nothing behind and can be used as a panel prep at stronger dilution rations.  ONR, can't and thus why Optimum has Panel Prep spray.  I've not used the new ONR yet as I've been using up my old stock.... new version is on it's way now.

I've also used FEYNLAB Pure Rinseless which at 250:1 normal dilution is a panel prep, so you are always getting a good cleaning that doesn't hurt paint protections.   Of the three I've used extensively thus far my favorite is N914.  Cleans well, slick, and wipes clean with less spotting then the others I mentioned.

Looking forward to using the new ONR.

To be clear, ONR does leave polymers behind for gloss, but it does not need to be removed before coating (or waxing/sealing).  The same is true for hyper polishes - most Optimum products are formulated to work together.  Paul also implies ONR (or other cleaners} hurt paint protection and that is also false, at least for OPT protection...Optimum wax/sealants/coatings are not reduced by normal wash products. 

4 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

To be clear, ONR does leave polymers behind for gloss, but it does not need to be removed before coating (or waxing/sealing).  The same is true for hyper polishes - most Optimum products are formulated to work together.  Paul also implies ONR (or other cleaners} hurt paint protection and that is also false, at least for OPT protection...Optimum wax/sealants/coatings are not reduced by normal wash products. 

I wasn't implying the ONR hurts paint protection.  I was asserting that ONR would effect bonding of coatings due to it leaving polymers behind evidenced by the existence of Optimum Paint Prep (PP).  All the demos I've seen of applying Gloss Coat and Opti-Coat have used PP before applying after prepping with the full Optimum system.    Perhaps this is a bad assumption but my thought was "Why would Dr G make the product if it wasn't needed?"   I guess the only way to know for sure would be to do a lot of testing.

If ONR or Hyper Polish residue doesn't have to be removed prior to using Optimum coatings  why does PP exist and why was it using my Yvan over the years in all the videos I've seen on YouTube?

I'd be find if I didn't have to buy another product and it would eliminate a step in the process!

Paul  

1 minute ago, Tug Bankert said:

PP exists because of the slight chance of oil or grease surviving the decon and polishing step. It's beat to leave nothing to chance and follow all chemical steps before install of a coating. Especially with CCR, if you skip a step the new clear will fish eye, etc.

Great!  Exactly what I was thinking.  Extra safety factor to be sure.  After spending all this time and money you want to THE BEST results.