Hello from England

FerrariStu

Hi all

Noobie, Stu, here.

Recently bought a 'new' demonstrator car* (2,014 miles on the clock and about the same number of swirls on the bodywork 🙄) - some 12 years after my last new car. Apart from trying to work out how all the new gadgets worked in the modern age (I felt like Austin Powers after he'd just been defrosted), I fell headlong down the 'detailing rabbit hole' on YouTube. Man, how things have changed in 12 years.

After spending a truly ridiculous amount of time and money researching and buying various wash media and products - some that smell beautiful (ONR) and some that smell like a corpse ripening in a heatwave (Korrosol), I think I've finally reached my own conclusions about what works best for me. One thing that struck me is just how misunderstood ONR is by online detailers and their fans. It would appear that a great deal are creatures of habit and really struggle with change, even if it costs them time, money and water.

Foamy suds and surfactants that you have to waste time washing off seem to make people happy, it seems - even if they don't do the best job available. I liken it to when you were a kid, and you demanded sudsy foam in the bath, not because it did the best job at cleaning you but... well, you wanted to play with foam because it made you feel better about having to be in the bath!

Anyway, I'm a big fan of ONR because it works and it saves time, water and effort. It stops my paint getting more swirls than it's already got, and I know that this isn't true of soap, no matter how much it reminds you of playing in childhood baths or snow when you were a kid.

Cheers

Stuart

* Ford, not Ferrari.

4 hours ago, FerrariStu said:

One thing that struck me is just how misunderstood ONR is by online detailers and their fans. It would appear that a great deal are creatures of habit and really struggle with change, even if it costs them time, money and water.

Welcome to the forum.  I think I have to disagree with you...perhaps out in the YouTube world rinseless washing is misunderstood, however in the detailing forum world rinseless washing has been widely adopted.

11 hours ago, Setec Astronomy said:

Welcome to the forum.  I think I have to disagree with you...perhaps out in the YouTube world rinseless washing is misunderstood, however in the detailing forum world rinseless washing has been widely adopted.

Thanks for the welcome. Apologies - I was actually meaning the YT world but failed to specify this properly. :thumbsupup[1]:

I think I understand Stu's comment - I deal daily with new converts to ONR/rinseless washes who struggle to understand how it can work - have been hung up on by customers who insist it will mar their cars (without even trying), and against all the video/forum information to the contrary. 

2 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

I think I understand Stu's comment - I deal daily with new converts to ONR/rinseless washes who struggle to understand how it can work - have been hung up on by customers who insist it will mar their cars (without even trying), and against all the video/forum information to the contrary. 

Hi Ron

I think you've got it in one there. I read up about the product and the logic and science made sense. I tried the product and the results spoke for themselves. To then see people who have been detailing their cars for decades say things like 'it's great and I use it a lot, but for heavily soiled cars I use my usual method' makes me scratch my head. I understand their logic that any pre-contact-wash rinsing is a safe extra step to take, but for them not to replace the (car soap) contact wash stage with ONR (or even to add it to their car soap) - I find truly purplexing (If it works better than car soap, then why use car soap at all?) Hence my comments about years of people equating foam, suds and super-slippy surfactants to safe cleaning, which is no longer the best method. Use as many buckets/wash media as you like but ditch the car soap at the contact wash stage and use ONR. It's a no-brainer). I also think that people genuinely get hooked on rinsing cars unnecessarily because it's theraputic. Anyhoo, thanks for your comment. :thumbsupup[1]:

8 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

I kinda get the "therapeutic" benefits of rinsing, but would rather save the water and get my catharsis by waxing the paint or conditioning the tires...

Heheh -  I agree. Personally, I enjoy drying off the ONR - with a scoosh of sealant - to an excellent shine. That's way more fun than refilling buckets for the Hydroshot to empty to get rid of the unnecessary soap!