Drying Aids and Dilution

Saibot

3 hours ago, No Soap said:

Yes, but why are you concerned about that? You probably have applied some protection on the dry surface (coating, sealant, wax) at one point and after that it is all about maintenance and a little is enough.

Thanks for the quick reply, No Soap!
I plan on stripping everything off and giving it a good deep clean before winter and want to be sure I protect it for the season. So if I use OCW for example, as my drying aid, it sounds like it'll be lighter than applying it on a dry surface. Sounds obvious, right? But who knows with Optimum products. The stuff is kind of magic and I really can't assume anything that Dr. G cooks up. (Man, I have so many questions! What I wouldn't give to have lunch with Yvan and Dr. G.)

With OCW or Hyper Seal it is up to you how you use them, as No Soap says, using them as drying aids will reduce their durability.  However, if using them every wash then your car will be protected assuming it is washed on a regular basis.  As for having lots of questions, this is the perfect place to ask away.

Thanks, Lowejackson!

I was going to use Power Clean, diluted 3:1 in my IK foamer to strip off everything that's on there now and rinse. ONR wash and look for/remove any sap/tar and remove. Then...we'll here's where where get a little fuzzy on what's next. I thought about using Hyper Seal as my drying aid, then follow up with OCW.  I really love the look and slickness of the OCW. 

Is there any benefit of using Hyper Seal under OCW? I'm not sure if they layer or not. I noticed that other products simply displace the previous layer(s), so it's kind of a waste of time to add multiple products, or even multiple layers (like wax for example). But the Optimum line seems to defy a lot of those guidelines.

I also hear some people adding the Instant Detailer on top of everything else, which seems excessive. But I guess it's worth asking, does it displace previous layers of Hyper Seal or OCW? Does it add anything in terms of gloss? It seems like we're hitting diminishing returns here, but again, I thought I'd challenge my assumptions and ask the experts.

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 3:14 PM, Saibot said:

Thanks, Lowejackson!

I was going to use Power Clean, diluted 3:1 in my IK foamer to strip off everything that's on there now and rinse. ONR wash and look for/remove any sap/tar and remove. Then...we'll here's where where get a little fuzzy on what's next. I thought about using Hyper Seal as my drying aid, then follow up with OCW.  I really love the look and slickness of the OCW. 

Is there any benefit of using Hyper Seal under OCW? I'm not sure if they layer or not. I noticed that other products simply displace the previous layer(s), so it's kind of a waste of time to add multiple products, or even multiple layers (like wax for example). But the Optimum line seems to defy a lot of those guidelines.

I also hear some people adding the Instant Detailer on top of everything else, which seems excessive. But I guess it's worth asking, does it displace previous layers of Hyper Seal or OCW? Does it add anything in terms of gloss? It seems like we're hitting diminishing returns here, but again, I thought I'd challenge my assumptions and ask the experts.

Thanks for the help!

I cannot speak about Hyper Seal but with Optiseal this can be used over OCW as it will sink below the OCW.  Traditionally I have used either OCW or Optiseal as drying aids depending on which bottle was closest to me, they both seem to play nicely with each other and after several years of this approach I have not noticed anything strange.  OID is a nice product but rarely use it, maybe if I went to shows or perhaps wanted to sell a car, that last bit of gloss would be useful