What is Paint Guard™ made of?

Juanca

1 hour ago, Juanca said:

Does anyone know of it's just a less concentrated version of Opticoat Pro, which is made mainly of exclusively of SiC? 

I've tried researching online to no avail... 

I meant to say "mainly or exclusively of SiC."

I'm guessing it could also be silicon dioxide instead... 🤔

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Ron,

Since Paint Guard is a full SiC product like pro and pro plus, and even though the warranty is 3 yr instead of 5 like pro or 7 like pro plus, is this really also a permanent product like pro and pro plus regardless of the warranty?  So if cared for correctly,  can you expect it to last the life of the paint?

If Paint Guard is not permanent, what makes this SiC formula not permanent while OptiCoat Pro and Pro Plus are considered permanent?  

This product has very little information out there, much less than opticoat pro or gloss coat.  But this price point, if it is a full SiC coating that just happens to be maybe less glossy but still fully chemically resistant and a lifetime coating, is something that can really get more people into getting their car coated.  The $399 price point is significantly more appealing for some than having to jump to $899 and up, to get that environmental protection and ease of cleaning.

No sure I understand the question here - Paint Guard, Opti-Coat Pro,  and Opti-Coat Pro+ are not the same product and none are advertised as permanent.  Can they all last beyond their warranty, yes.  Will they, maybe, depending on several variables.  Being full SiC does not mean they are equal in durability, gloss, chemical resistance, etc.  Optimum added Paint Guard (which was a product already available to new car dealerships) to meet competitor entry level products.  We don't promote it because we don't think it's the best deal for customers, but as a tool for our Pro installers when price is critical.  FYI, most installer are able to demonstrate the greater value of Opti-Coat Pro and frankly, Opti-Coat Pro+ is our biggest selling ceramic, regardless of price.

To your permanent claims - I have a car with Opti-Coat Pro applied by Yvan over 7 years ago.  It's still there and the car looks shiny and new BUT I see micro-marring in bright light and trust me, I follow proper washing procedures.  I mentioned the marring to Dr G and he said Opti-Coat Pro is great, but not going to last forever.

2 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

No sure I understand the question here - Paint Guard, Opti-Coat Pro,  and Opti-Coat Pro+ are not the same product and none are advertised as permanent.  

Hi Ron,

Opticoat pro and pro plus permanent claims don't come from me, they come from opticoat themselves.  It has been re-iterated by mutiple reps over the years as well as Dr G himself in podcasts, videos, forum posts, etc..  Even the opticoat website states it.  

Quotes from the opticoat pro page linked here: Opti-Coat Pro - Ceramic Paint Protection with Opti-Coat Pro (opticoat.com)

"Also, because Opti-Coat Pro has better chemical resistance and release properties than any automotive paint coating in use, it provides permanent protection for all modern factory paints and can also be used to protect metal and hard plastic surfaces."

"Opti-Coat Pro will save you time and money. As opposed to applying thin coats of wax several times a year, Opti-Coat Pro is a permanent solution for ceramic paint protection"

And quotes from the opticoat pro plus page linked here: Opti-Coat Pro+ Ultimate Ceramic Paint Coating from Opti-Coat Pro+ (opticoat.com)

"Opti-Coat Pro+ was specifically designed to create a tough, permanent hydrophobic layer of protection."

So the above is just to show Opticoat themselves claim pro and pro plus are permanent, and with all information I've read so far, I don't contradict these claims as untrue.

To your permanent claims - I have a car with Opti-Coat Pro applied by Yvan over 7 years ago.  It's still there and the car looks shiny and new BUT I see micro-marring in bright light and trust me, I follow proper washing procedures.  I mentioned the marring to Dr G and he said Opti-Coat Pro is great, but not going to last forever.

Your micro-marring doesn't show that opticoat is gone, just that through washing enough times even it develops some scratches.  I would expect opticoat is still there and doing it's job.  It likely just looks worse for the wear and could use a polishing off to get back to a smooth shiny surface and reapplication to protect again.  I'd think pro installers here would state the same thing and not conclude that opticoat actually wore out or aged out.

Can they all last beyond their warranty, yes.  Will they, maybe, depending on several variables.  Being full SiC does not mean they are equal in durability, gloss, chemical resistance, etc. 

So I already expected all 3 to last beyond their warranty since the pro and pro plus are already claimed to be permanent.  I know paint guard is not the same formula, and that's where I was asking the clarifying question.  The question being:   Since SiC is so durable to be permanent in pro and pro plus, is it possible paint guard is also permanent since it's full SiC based?    

Here's the thinking behind the question: Sure, maybe it forms a thinner coat of SiC than Pro so less costly and less durable to scratches, UV protection, etc..  For fun, let's assume it's half the thickness of pro.  If Pro is permanent, half of permanent is still permanent.  So paint guard might provide less protection, but whatever protection it provides could still be permanent.  It might not be advertised this way so more people go for Pro at the minimum, but that's a marketing thing and not technical behavior which is what I'm really looking at.

Conversely, if you ask the question coming in the other direction, the statement might be:  If the claim is Paint Guard only lasts 3 years or so and eventually it does get washed or aged off, then Pro and Pro Plus might just be thicker versions that last twice  or 4 times longer.  So that also makes them not permanent either.  

So either way you look at it, if they are all SiC with no formulation difference that would cause permanence differences, then either all are permanent, or all have a useful life before it's worn out and none are permanent.  The important factor would be, how is paint guard different from pro so it's not considered permanent?  We know glosscoat isn't permanent because the SiO2 components will eventually wear out and vanish.  But Paint Guard seems to be an all SiC formula.

Anyway, that is the background to the question, but I am making no claims, just putting information I've read and coming with questions that might confirm speculation or lead to new information that would disprove them.  It would be great to know that paint guard actually is permanent, just less glossy and provide less scratch protection than pro or pro plus.  Thus a good coating to recommend to friends who can only afford the $400 price point and are competing with consumer coating installs in that range if it was actually permanent.  Knowing it's permanent is a good sell over the definite limited life SiO2 coatings that claim up to 5-7 years.  I've always been a fan of Opticoat Pro line because it's the only permanent coating.  It's still a tough sell for non car enthusiasts at the Pro price point but the paint guard price point I can convince more friends to get into an optimum coating.

Optimum is not a marketing company, but I suggest the term "permanent"  is just that.  All coatings are permanent on garage queens or lightly driven vehicles...But you're promoting durability as the most important characteristic when appearance, ease of maintenance, resistance to marring/etching, etc are equally valuable.  The obvious difference in coatings is durability, and easiest to promote, but I believe the other characteristics are just as important...and better the coating, the greater those other features.

If all you want is durability, buy Gloss-Coat and apply Hyper Seal every 6-12 months and you will have a permanent coating.  Easy peasy!  

I never said Opti-Coat Pro was gone, the car looks great, just that the hardness has declined so that micro-marring occurred.  Normal wear & tear on a daily driver, combined with regular maintenance, AND UV have reduce the coating enough to allow minor damage.