First maintenance wash. Water spots and doesn’t feel that slick

Justin

I have Opti pro plus on my truck. Did my first maintenance wash and I have a lot of small water spots now. I do have hard water. What steps should I take?

i applied hyper seal while wet(one squire per panel) and I don’t have that slick feeling like when I had the costing installed. Is that normal or would I be better applying after I dry?

3 minutes ago, Setec Astronomy said:

What wash did you use?  Has this water spotting been an issue on other vehicles you have washed?

Yellow onr 

water spots have always been an issue but I figured it would just wipe off since I have pro plus installed 

if it matters I also filled a spray bottle and pre sprayed before I did the no rinse wash

I'm not sure that Opti-Coat Pro Plus should be considered a magic bullet against hard water.  You've got to dry before the droplets do.  I don't know how many gallons of ONR you mix up, but distilled water is only a buck a gallon from the supermarket, I would use that as cheap insurance.

I would talk to your installer about how best to remove the water spots, but it may be that MDR is indicated.  Have you tried simply re-wiping the area with your (wet) wash media and redrying?

1 minute ago, Setec Astronomy said:

I'm not sure that Opti-Coat Pro Plus should be considered a magic bullet against hard water.  You've got to dry before the droplets do.  I don't know how many gallons of ONR you mix up, but distilled water is only a buck a gallon from the supermarket, I would use that as cheap insurance.

I would talk to your installer about how best to remove the water spots, but it may be that MDR is indicated.  Have you tried simply re-wiping the area with your (wet) wash media and redrying?

4 cap fulls for a 5gallon bucket

ill get in contact with my guy about what he thinks.  Ill get him to remove the spots maybe and ill try distilled water like you suggested

I can generally wash a car (not a truck) with a half gallon of ONR (no wheels).  I use a rinse bucket, if you're doing it all with one bucket you want to use 2 gallons to get above the grit guard.  So 2 gallons of distilled water isn't bad, or you can look into one of the de-ionizing systems like CR Spotless.

water spots are a problem for ceramic coatings because the water beads - as Setec states, it's always a good idea to dry the car quickly and if not possible use ONR or Instant Detailer to wipe down before the spots bake on.  For very hard water,  we recommend a stronger ratio of ONR (your 2 oz for 5 gallons is light anyway) - 1 oz to 1 gallon  unless you follow the advice to use DI water.

As for slickness, it's relative, hard to compare, and dependent on many variables.  Honestly, professional detailers avoid touching paint (most use gloves) and shudder when customers do...FYI.

If using Opti Coat No Rinse (yellow ONR) then 4 cap fulls to 5 gallons is extremely light.  The caps for the Opti-Coat line only hold 1/3 oz so Justin was only putting in 1.33 oz of ONR to 5 gallons of water (less than half the recommended 1:256 dilution ratio, or 2.5 oz to 5 gallons).  As Ron indicated,  you should only have to double ONR in extremely hard water cases (> 500 ppm).  In my area,  we have fairly hard water (275 ppm) and I increase dilution ratio to 200:1  (increase qty of ONR by 25-33% )from the normal 256:1.

Best method is to perform wash, drying aid and dry process panel by panel to avoid water (or more likely polymer) spots.  Start on highest panel (ie roof) and work your way down and around vehicle to avoid dripping ONR solution on lower panels you have already completed.

16 hours ago, Detail Mutant said:

If using Opti Coat No Rinse (yellow ONR) then 4 cap fulls to 5 gallons is extremely light.  The caps for the Opti-Coat line only hold 1/3 oz so Justin was only putting in 1.33 oz of ONR to 5 gallons of water (less than half the recommended 1:256 dilution ratio, or 2.5 oz to 5 gallons).  As Ron indicated,  you should only have to double ONR in extremely hard water cases (> 500 ppm).  In my area,  we have fairly hard water (275 ppm) and I increase dilution ratio to 200:1  (increase qty of ONR by 25-33% )from the normal 256:1.

Best method is to perform wash, drying aid and dry process panel by panel to avoid water (or more likely polymer) spots.  Start on highest panel (ie roof) and work your way down and around vehicle to avoid dripping ONR solution on lower panels you have already completed.

Thanks for everyone’s help. And sorry for the delay in replies. I work retail so it’s my busy time of the year. 

I will try adding more ONR and if that doesn’t help will try distilled Water  as well

inwill talk to my retailer about removing water spots. I’m assuming they won’t come off without treatment if some sort?

• 3 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:03 PM, Justin said:

I have Opti pro plus on my truck. Did my first maintenance wash and I have a lot of small water spots now. I do have hard water. What steps should I take?

i applied hyper seal while wet(one squire per panel) and I don’t have that slick feeling like when I had the costing installed. Is that normal or would I be better applying after I dry?

Ron is right, touching your paint is a no no. When it comes to a coating, slick is seen and not felt. Avoid letting water dry on the paint or go to self serve wash bay where they have spot free systems.