Uneventful Gloss Coat experience

mr_robot

Well, just finished applying Opti-Coat and gotta say it was pretty uneventful.

So I primed the pad as seen on Youtube, went to my first panel and it was so grabby I felt I wasn't spreading the product evenly or hardly at all!

Today was cloudy mid 50's with 65% humidity and my car being white made it really hard to see.  I could see the gloss coat were I initially touched with the pad, but as I would spread in a circular motion it was really squeaky and grabby.  The blue applicator pad did not glide at all.

I was using 8-10 drops per panel but kept having to add more half way.  

I used about 8-9cc for my entire car (BMW 6-series so it's pretty big panels)  went back to panels and kept applying it.

My OCD just can't help and think I did not get a good even coverage  and the it did not spread evenly!!!  Arggg! Am I over thinking it?!

Spent most of the day prepping the car as follows:

1. Washed the car with ONR.

2. I used Power Clean and a traditional clay bar to mechanically  decontaminate.

3.  Used an iron remover to chemically decontaminate.

4. Rinsed it again with ONR.

5. Used Griot's BOSS Fast Correcting Cream (Griot's confirmed their BOSS line has no filler or oils) 

6.  Used Griot's Paint Prep, rinsed AGAIN with ONR

7.  Just to be safe I used a diluted IPA as a final wipedown before proceeding with Gloss Coat.

What do you guys think?

It sounds like you did a really good job with the prep. Did you prime the blue applicator with about 20 drops or so when you first primed it? 8-10 is not nearly enough. Gloss coat is very slick and it will glide perfectly if you prime it with enough gc.  Make sure you apply in a circular overlapping motion and not straight lines.

I guess I didn’t prime it enough, I did the pizza slice (Relative to the pad diameter) method based one of Videos.  It was about 10 drops.

So it wasn’t slick at all throughout my entire application.  What does this mean then?  No good coverage?

Can I test it by spraying it with just a hose?

If you really want to make sure that you used enough you could polish to remove coating and paint prep and do it again. You definitely put the coating on. You may not get the life out of it as would be expected. 10 drops is not enough. The drops should cover about a quarter of the pad. You could let this coating ride or start process all over again. Don't be discouraged. It took me my first 50 coatings to get it right. When you think you have put too much gc on the pad, put on a little more.

6 minutes ago, Tug Bankert said:

Walk me through how you actually applied it to the paint using the blue applicator? 

1. I primed the pad, about a quarter of it using 8-10 drops.

2. I started at the front of the fender in a circular motion finishing to the bottom of the fender.

3.  Where I initially landed the pad it was slick and could see the gloss coat, about about 6-8 circular strokes it would become very grabby and would make the  sponge squeaky noise.  So I would add more gloss coat 3-5 drops to continue.

But even then it wasn’t slick at all.  Being white paint was really hard to see but gloss coat was there as I kept testing on a gloss black trim on the car.  

Felt like my paint was just absorbing the gloss coat and flashing away immediately.  

2 minutes ago, The Guz said:

If you followed Yvan's application video then you will be fine.  You can also add another coat if you wanted to.  On an average size sedan you should have about 5cc's left if you go with two coats.  

Once gc is cured another coat will not adhere 

1 minute ago, mr_robot said:

1. I primed the pad, about a quarter of it using 8-10 drops.

2. I started at the front of the fender in a circular motion finishing to the bottom of the fender.

3.  Where I initially landed the pad it was slick and could see the gloss coat, about about 6-8 circular strokes it would become very grabby and would make the  sponge squeaky noise.  So I would add more gloss coat 3-5 drops to continue.

But even then it wasn’t slick at all.  Being white paint was really hard to see but gloss coat was there as I kept testing on a gloss black trim on the car.  

Felt like my paint was just absorbing the gloss coat and flashing away immediately.  

If the paint is heavily oxidized it will feel grabby. You were definitely laying down the gc

Sure he can.  It will bond to the areas that don't have even coverage.  I am not new to coatings and I applied two coats of Gloss Coat in the past without any issues.  Many have even applied gloss coat a few months down the road after a decon wash and prep wipe.