Uneventful Gloss Coat experience

mr_robot

26 minutes ago, mr_robot said:

1. I primed the pad, about a quarter of it using 8-10 drops.

2. I started at the front of the fender in a circular motion finishing to the bottom of the fender.

3.  Where I initially landed the pad it was slick and could see the gloss coat, about about 6-8 circular strokes it would become very grabby and would make the  sponge squeaky noise.  So I would add more gloss coat 3-5 drops to continue.

But even then it wasn’t slick at all.  Being white paint was really hard to see but gloss coat was there as I kept testing on a gloss black trim on the car.  

Felt like my paint was just absorbing the gloss coat and flashing away immediately.  

You can use hyper seal to maintain the coating.

3 hours ago, mr_robot said:

I would like to do another layer for sure just to cover areas I might have missed. 

Just a Power Clean wash and paint prep?

No need to use power clean.

If you wait until the first wash then a simple wash with ONR, paint prep and a apply gloss coat.   

if you are going to apply it now then go ahead and lightly remove the dust and apply the second coat. No need for a prep wipe.  

I waited to add my 2 cents and am glad I did - great responses!  Gloss-Coat can be layered and due to it's hybrid nature, will bond.  It would need to be polished off IF you wanted to apply Opti-Coat Pro.  I agree you don't need Power Clean for prep at this point, ONR/Paint Prep is adequate.  And I'm not sure you need to add a second coat - while your prime may have been light, 8-9 ccs is more than enough to coat a 6 series.  Unfortunately there's no easy way to test your coverage. For total confidence, another coat is inexpensive. 

• 2 weeks later...

Put the second coat today.

Couple things, the packaging was very different.   First one I bought it just came in a clear ziplock bag.   The second one came in a clear case and opticoat logo ziplock bag inside as well.   Much better packaging for sure. 

I washed with ONR and used Optimum Paint Prep this time around. 

I primed the pad with good 20 drops or so. It was much smoother than first time around but felt grabby not to long after starting a panel.  

Kept adding drops as needed and even though it felt like I was using more than last time I only ended up using 5cc. 

1 minute ago, mr_robot said:

Put the second coat today.

Couple things, the packaging was very different.   First one I bought it just came in a clear ziplock bag.   The second one came in a clear case and opticoat logo ziplock bag inside as well.   Much better packaging for sure. 

I washed with ONR and used Optimum Paint Prep this time around. 

I primed the pad with good 20 drops or so. It was much smoother than first time around but felt grabby not to long after starting a panel.  

Kept adding drops as needed and even though it felt like I was using more than last time I only ended up using 5cc. 

I think you nailed it. With gc a little goes a long way. Usually 10cc will do 2 cars