Hello from Pittsburgh

Travis94

Hello from western PA! Detailing has always been a hobby of mine, and this forum seems to be a very helpful community. Over the years I have acquired numerous tools and products to help keep my vehicle looking better than new. My go to products have been Menzerna PowerLock, and recently, TW Hybrid Ceramic Polish and Wax which was used on my copper metallic Ford Fusion Hybrid a few weeks ago. The gloss is crazy as well as the water beading. However, I'm always looking for more and after using Optimum No Rinse I realized how awesome Optimum products are.

As I'm currently in optometry school I can't always find the time to properly maintain my car's paint and decided to bite the bullet on buying a syringe of Gloss Coat. After doing hours of research on this forum and watching Yvan on YouTube, the following is my intended plan:

1. ONR wash; APC on areas that need it

2. Decontamination with iron remover and synthetic clay

3. Optimum Hyper Polish on a Green Hex-Logic pad with polish removal using GYEON Surface Prep and new Eagle Edgeless MF towels

4. Apply Gloss Coat as directed ***is it better to use another applicator pad or a short nap MF for spreading high spots?

5.  ***it seems the general consensus is to use Opti-Seal an hour after application as a protectant while Gloss Coat cures . Can another product like Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Quik Wax or TW Seal & Shine be used instead? Or does it need to be an SiO2 based sealant?

Welcome to the Optimum Forum - you're right, a lot of helpful advice here!  We recommend applying Gloss-Coat with the foam applicator, though some may have other advice.  The other most common suggestion is the suede applicator.  Opti-Seal is not Si02 (and neither are the other products you mention).  In general,and not to be "homers",  but IMO it's best to stay within the family for protection.  All Optimum products have synergy, not all other manufacturers products perform as well in combination.

4 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Welcome to the Optimum Forum - you're right, a lot of helpful advice here!  We recommend applying Gloss-Coat with the foam applicator, though some may have other advice.  The other most common suggestion is the suede applicator.  Opti-Seal is not Si02 (and neither are the other products you mention).  In general,and not to be "homers",  but IMO it's best to stay within the family for protection.  All Optimum products have synergy, not all other manufacturers products perform as well in combination.

Thanks for the quick response Ron. Without the Opti-Seal do you think keeping the car garaged and spot detailed with ONR is sufficient during the cure period? If not, I've no problem waiting for to get my hands on Opti-Seal....current LSP is doing just fine.

Hello Heijneker!

hi travis

you will  love  the gloss coat. i have used it twice  and never used opti seal on  it after.   had no problems. I found the second time i used gloss coat  after polish i used  lots   of  optimums paint prep i  really wiped it down made a big difference no high spots the product just flows better and on there thicker every product i used was optimum except pads could not get them . i am no pro but i am better now being on this form  one thing that is great and makes it easy is how optimums products all work together one on top of the other  i have got a hold of some optimum hyper  seal  cant wait to see it on top of my gloss coat  have fun  

Thank you Ron and Habs for the insight on not needing Opti-Seal. The vehicles will be garaged immediately so all should be fine! I'll be doing my dad's F150 as my test vehicle since I purchased the 20cc syringe, but I'll make sure I keep this thread updated with pictures of the results. Can't wait for the Gloss Coat and Hyper Polish to arrive so I can get to work :)

8 hours ago, Habs said:

Looks good  

Put a coat of  opti spray wax  or there detailer even more gloss

When I get ahold of some I will! Washed and clayed the truck tonight. Tomorrow is polishing and then Gloss Coat. Decided to not do the roof and glass (Seal and Shine instead) as I'm trying to get 2 Fusions and the F150 from 20cc.

20200605-212216.jpg

That's a big truck I don't think gloss coat is for  glass. I think you will be short product for all that .  I would do the roof with the gloss coat and   keep it all the same so if you  top of with other  products it will all look the same    in my case i park out  side and my roof collects  a lot if dirt and bird bomb's  plus it gets pounded by the sun the car is a 2008 so you can see the roof has  faded more than the sides  also I have done some repainting  they did a good job but it still shows up after gloss coated .   You can find picks of my car on hear some were. Ithink you need another 10cc maybe some one will  make suggestion.   If I  was going to take a short cut I would use hyperseal I   just did it looks and sheets water just like gloss coat just doesn't last as long 

Good luck  have fun 

Habs, I can definitely tell a difference between the Seal and Shine and Gloss Coat...Seal and Shine gives a warmer color, but my dad doesn't care haha. When I do my car it'll all be done using the same products 👌 Ended up using about 8cc on the hood, fenders, doors, and tailgate.

Optimum Hyper Polish was awesome to use. Zero dusting and a huge time saver being in a sprayable form! Had no issues with a 4" pad on my Griot's G8 which I was unsure of because  the backing plate is 3". Paint was nearly perfect (10k miles) so didn't have to do many passes. Habs, you were 100% right on using the paint prep liberally...had very few high spots to spread out.

After polishing and ONR wipe down: 20200606-122456.jpg

Close up of the hood: 20200606-100513.jpg

Finished product: 20200606-151241.jpg

20200606-151226.jpg

Amazing 

Yes the polish is easy to use I also only had to make only a few passes  my car was 5 years old when I got it but it was covered in  honda vinyl  advertising  that was very thick when pulled off  the paint was practically  new . 

Just used there hyper seal very nice