beginning of polshing

H All

I have a few questions to ask. Here is what I am using rotary,Edge 2000 weave pads 8 inch and OP.and OC (used blue pad) Car 1999 Camaro black, has swirl marks and spiderwebing from poor washing(the kids car)

1. Before you start what to do to load the pad, how much product? I am noob to rotary work, no pc use , did polish a few in early 90s with 2-speed black and decker with wool pad thats it.

2.approx. work time before checking area? How fast to move across the area, add more product of just keep going if not happy with it.

Thats all for now have many more questions. Will also read more on forum. Thanks all Have a great day! Ron Herndon

Ron, you can check your work after 2-3 minutes or even sooner, as your personal preferences dictate. Keep it checking min-by-min, just to develop a feel for it.

Use very little product on the pad. You can do a thin circle around the perimeter of the pad initially, but use drastically less in the subsequent passes. I liked top do that with the earlier-gen, smaller spouts. Now I put 5-8 pea sized drops for priming, depending on the size of the pad. Followup reloads are like that (sometimes even less):

DSC00320c.jpg

The excellent lubrication of Optimum will ensure a relatively cool running, but still, be careful!

Spread out the product at low speed, the kick it up to 1400-1500 and work it in. Check, continue as necessary. Arm speeds should be on the slower side, at around 2-3 inch/sec, but on certain places you can slow it down a bit more.

Hi

Been trying to get back here just to much other stuff going on.

Thanks for the info, I can tell ya that I used way to much product,

that may be why it did not look like I did any thing except shine it up.

Still had all the swirls and scratches. I will get another shot at this car in a week or so

OK now question 3. On this car the doors are kinda concave and was hard to keep the pad flat

can you just turn the polisher and use half the pad.I was getting a lot of hop trying to keep it flat.

Thanks Ron Herndon

First, try to find comfortable positions with the buffer. Experiment! Hold it vertically, horizontally, diagonally, hold the handle and the body, etc. When you apply pressure, it is essential to load the spinning pad evenly, otherwise the machine wants to run away from you. Tip it back and forth, to the sides to see and most importantly feel how crucial to find the optimal position of the machine. Tilting the pad can cause uneven cutting patterns and swirls (generally old school to "cool" the pad), so I don't recommend it. If the area is so small you can (and have to) use the pad asymmetrically, but play with the trigger, use lower speeds and spend more time on the given work area with care and patience.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Looks kinda slow around here. Over the weekend I had some time to practice on my 2007 Cobalt, it did not need much,just some spiderwebing. I think I now know why my first attempt was not so good 1. was moving buffer way to fast, I slowed down on this one and it seem to work better I had to keep telling myself slow the heck down!!!! :tongue4[1]: 2. too much product. still need more practice :tongue4[1]: Now on to the questions 1. can you use the Optimum Polish in direct sunlight with good results? 2. if you are not getting the results you want say with a pad choice,should you change to a more aggressive pad and use OP, or same pad and Optimum compound? make sense.3. Should the film be just visible on the surface. Thanks have a great week. Ron Herndon

Hi

Now a couple more questions. 1 I now am using Edge foam weave 8 inch pads, would it be better to use Edge 6 inch wool, or Edge foam 6 inch. 2. will the 6 inch be less hard to control for this noob? Thanks Ron Herndon

Archived