Help with OHC, OC, and OP

After several attempts to get the right pad/product combo to correct swirls on my 2004 Touareg, I think it is safe to say that Optimum just cant correct it as much as I would like, or my technique needs to be adjusted.

I got some decent results when I used OC and OP a while back, but there were still some swirls that are visible in the sunlight. I have read and read and read again about different things to try and I cant seem to get it right. I have tried slower movement, less product, higher speed, more working time, etc. and I cant seem to get this right.Does anyone have any recommendations?

My process:

Wash>Clay>2 Passes of OHC with yellow 4" CCS pads>2 Passes of OHC with orange 4" CCS pads>1 Pass of OP with white 4" CCS pad

Here are some pictures of my last attempts:

Amount of Product Used:

AmountofHPC.jpg

After 2 passes Yellow/2 Passes Orange of Hyper Compound:

after2yellow3orangeHPC-1.jpg

After Optimum Polish:

after2Y-3OHPC-2WOP.jpg

"2 Passes of OHC with orange 4" CCS pads>1 Pass of OP with white 4" CCS pad"

This seems like too big of a jump. The swirls don't really look severe enough to warrant using hyper compound in my opinion. Try using just the OC/OP with an orange pad to see if you get better results. If possible, could you take a picture of the polish in its broken down stage before wiping it off?

In all honesty the first couple of experiences I had with Optimum were frustrating using the PC because I wasn't breaking down the polish properly so that could be a problem for you as well.

Hope this helps.

-Charlie

I might have time this upcoming weekend to experiment with my girlfriend's 07 Jetta that's horribly swirled with my PC and some 5" pads.

Thanks for the reply charlies...

How much product and how much time should I allow for breakdown on a 2x2 area for each application of product?

When you say 2 passes, how much time do you polish during each pass?

How much product and how much time should I allow for breakdown on a 2x2 area for each application of product?

I'd say use 2-3 drops on the pad and work it until it until the Optimum goes from the initially somewhat milky color to being completely transparent. Using the PC it will take a fair amount of time for the product to break down but I can't exactly say how long it will take for the polish to go from that milky to clear color.

Barrijm,

In all honesty it looks like you have induced maring into your paint. The yellow pad should be thrown in the trash they even suck with a rotary.

As posted above you need to be using the regular compound and polish with an orange pad. Heck with the color of your car you could almost be LSP ready with the polish and the orange pad. Follow the advice of the above post and be patient. It will take some practice to get it right. You nee to pick up Poli-Seal if you don't already have some.

Barrijm,

In all honesty it looks like you have induced maring into your paint. The yellow pad should be thrown in the trash they even suck with a rotary.

As posted above you need to be using the regular compound and polish with an orange pad. Heck with the color of your car you could almost be LSP ready with the polish and the orange pad. Follow the advice of the above post and be patient. It will take some practice to get it right. You nee to pick up Poli-Seal if you don't already have some.

Thanks for the tip. Should Orange w/OC remove what I have done with the yellow pad?

Yes it should but try the polish first just to see where it's gets you.

Until you get used to polishing you should start with the least aggressive correction products you may have.

It's always easyer to get a little more aggressive then try and recover from it.

Archived