Which of Optimum products are water-based?

thrasher

Hi Dr. G,

I am a new member from Indonesia. I just happen to repaint three panels of my wife's car due to accident. Could you please elaborate which Optimum products are water-based hence safe to be applied to these panels after the car is returned? I found confirmation from Dr. G above that Optimum Car Wax is safe. Are products like Optimum Polish & OID safe to these panels? If not then which products that you recommend to protect and maintain these panels? :thumbsupup[1]:

Sorry for the questions. I am complete blank when it comes to chemistry :unsure::rock[1]:

Many thanks for the response,

Indra

Hi Dr. G,

I am a new member from Indonesia. I just happen to repaint three panels of my wife's car due to accident. Could you please elaborate which Optimum products are water-based hence safe to be applied to these panels after the car is returned? I found confirmation from Dr. G above that Optimum Car Wax is safe. Are products like Optimum Polish & OID safe to these panels? If not then which products that you recommend to protect and maintain these panels? :thumbsupup[1]:

Sorry for the questions. I am complete blank when it comes to chemistry :unsure::rock[1]:

Many thanks for the response,

Indra

Indra,

Thank you for bringing up this question. As you mentioned, Optimum Car Wax is water-based like most of the other Optimum products and is safe on fresh paint. In fact, the only products that contain some solvents are Polish, Compound, Hyper Compound, Poli-Seal, and Opti-Seal. However, the polishing products are also safe on fresh paint and are used by many bodyshops for paint correction. The main concern with fresh paint is that it is not fully cured and may take up to 30 days to reach its maximum hardness. Therefore, if you are using any polishing products, they behave more aggressively on fresh paint. Let me know if I can be if further assistance. Thanks again.

David,

Dr. G thank you for your reply.

Does that mean that I can still use Opti-Seal carefully to protect those repainted panels or optimum polish carefully to correct some swirls when the car is returned to me (before 30 days)? Or should I only apply OCW & OID until the paint reach its hardness in 30 days and do the paint correction later on (after 30 days)?

Best Regards,

Indra

You can polish the paint before the 30 days. I have done so many times and have had no ill effects because of it....BUT....to keep in compliance with the paint warranty and such you may want to wait the specified time. This way if there are any issues later down the road you know you yourself did nothing to cause it.

Anthony

Archived