OptiBond and Application?

mblgjr

Been looking for that "perfect" tire shine that lasts a while instead of washing off instantly with any amount of water.

I'm looking for something that will provide a low-sheen/shine but be very "black" at the same time.

I've searched several places and it seems OptiBond is getting applied via compressed sprayers; which I can do but don't really want to spend the money on.

Will it apply ok via traditional spray bottle? I have some that produce a very fine mist...

Can it be diluted at all? If so; whats recommended?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and PICS of what it looks like once set would really be great.

We apply it with a HVLP gun using 20 psi and a 1.3 needle. We dilute the produict with DI water 1 to 1. If you can go the paint gun route it will pay for itself in no time, as product usage is reduced to a minimum. The results are great with good durability, and best of all no sling off. attached you will find pics of it applied to 1/2 of the roof of a mustnag, other side was as recieved form previous owner, who only used the best(in his words) armorall. Also on my car about a week after application, and finaly on a customers car about 20 mins after application.

DT9.jpg

must4.jpg

decapotable107.jpg

Integrity: Thanks for the tip on the Wagner.

I'm no pro; just have a small business fleet and don't necessarily have a power source...nor do I really want to spend the money on a Wagner...

I'll try diluting it and the hand sprayer and give it a shot and update with results.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just an update...

I bought a little pump sprayer like the Gilmour one above (48oz. from Ace Hardware).

Diluted slightly OB works GREAT.

It also works great when applying other water based dressings. Its SUPER fast and applies very thin/evenly.

• 4 months later...

I just got some of this to try and have a couple of questions...

I first mixed some 1:1 with water and shook it well. It became like a globular gloop that I used with a bit of old sponge to try and wipe over the tyre. The solution just seemed to sit on the surface of the rubber and didnt add very much to the look? I then used it neat in the same way and it worked much better, leaving a decent sheen and nice black finish, as well as a great silky feel.

I heard that by hand it was best cut with water but my experience was the direct opposite. I have a compressor and spray gun but its not a HVLP and isnt really something I want to get out just for my tyres... Any tips?

I should add these tyres had a couple of layers of Z-16 maybe a week or so ago and while they had faded back to a dull grey I'm wondering if the reason the product initially didnt soak in well was from the previous treatments somehow 'sealing' the tyre wall slightly?

Damon

That is correct, the previous tyre shine is inhibiting the penetration of the Opti- Bond. Even if your paint gun is not HVLP please give it a try, not only great on the tyres, but also dressing engines. Also since this thread has been revived, we have switched(on Dr. G's recommendations) to Protectant Plus for convertible top care, and as always the Dr. is right.

• 1 month later...

So Yvan, when doing convertible tops what is your method to clean and shine a pretty badly faded top? Do you always finish with protectant plus? I find myself going through the Opti-Bond stuff way too quick for just one car doing the wheels, plastic bumpers, running boards, engine and a few small items here and there. Even cut down to 1:1 dilution ratio.

Any tips? I used to use Stoner's Trim Shine but moved onto this and do like Opti-Bond better but just going through it much quicker and costs a lot more. I dont mind spending more money for a better quality product but just dont see the point in going through it so much. I do apply it with a sprayer and sometimes will go over it with a tire applicator or just leave it and let it soak in but usually takes two applications on everything to get a nice even shine. I am not looking for very high gloss. Usually factory black or semi glossy.

Archived