OCW vs OID

Lacesz

OCW can be used like OID but only on really light dust....such as on display cars. OID has properties which help in lifting up debris on the cars surface which makes it safer to remove.

Then for heavier grime switch to ONR.

Now if you like mix in some OCW with your OID.....try 5 parts OID to 1 part OCW. This should give you a safe cleaner plus enhanced protection.

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

While on the topic of OID and even though this is an old thread, I thought you can dilute ONR with water and it's the same as OID? Is this not true? I thought I read it on the ONR directions or online somewhere.

If not then I need to buy some of this OID to use on the nicer cars that need a basic wipe-down.

I will have to order some then in the next few weeks or days. How much should I order if I plan to use it on a regular basis? It will not only be for my vehicles but for customers vehicles as well.

Besides for a light dusting or touch up of the paint what else can I use the OID for?

I will have to order some then in the next few weeks or days. How much should I order if I plan to use it on a regular basis? It will not only be for my vehicles but for customers vehicles as well.

Besides for a light dusting or touch up of the paint what else can I use the OID for?

As derdave said ONR mixed as a detailer is for everyday use. That is how I use it and as such by living in SoCal I only actually have to wash my car once every 6 weeks at the most. 10-15 minutes a day and my car always looks like it was just waxed because of the three coats of opti-seal I initially applied.

As for OID think of it as comparable to any high end instant detailer, like Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer, but better. OID is more about adding shine and slickness than removing dust. I never use it as a dust remover. I always apply it to a clean surface after washing or after ONR detailing because I gently rub it into the paint. If the car was dusty and I rubbed it into the paint I feel I would create some swirling over time. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious but caution eliminates swirls which eliminates a lot of extra work.

As for how much OID to buy, well it come as a concentrate. The recommended mixture is 1 part OID to 3 parts distilled water. So if you buy a gallon of OID concentrate you will end up with 4 gallons of product. If you buy the 32 ounce bottle you will end up with 128 ounces.

Two little tricks that others including myself use is to, one, add a little OID to your ONR detail mixture for personal use (or for a final wipe down of a low end detail job). That really keeps your car shiny and slick on a daily basis. I find that daily use of pure OID eventually starts to streak due to buildup, but adding a little to the ONR works out nicely. Add 10 or 15% to the ONR detail mixture and see how it works for you.

The other trick is to add some ONR to the OID. Some people have a problem with the 3 to 1 mixture streaking. I find that adding a little ONR detail mixture to the OID works out better than diluting OID to a 3.5 or 4 to 1 mixture as some suggest to combat streaking. So try the 3 to 1 and if you get streaking add 5 or 10% of ONR detail mixture and see what you think.

Thanks for the info, I'll be ordering some of this soon and taking your advice on it. Your first tip though I don't get. Are you saying that when I wash a car with ONR I should add a little OID to it and wash it or are you saying put this all into a spray bottle for light dusting?

Sorry, I am just confused, they both sound like your saying to just mix a little OID into the ONR or visea versa.

Thanks for the info, I'll be ordering some of this soon and taking your advice on it. Your first tip though I don't get. Are you saying that when I wash a car with ONR I should add a little OID to it and wash it or are you saying put this all into a spray bottle for light dusting?

Sorry, I am just confused, they both sound like your saying to just mix a little OID into the ONR or visea versa.

Add it to the spray bottle for light dusting.

• 1 month later...

talex26, I wish I would have read your last comment on this thread before doing the OID for the first time today! I did a dark blue Jag and it was streaking which didn't matter because I went around with wax afterwards and got rid of them but thought that if it streaks on wipe downs then it will be a pain. I am glad I know this so now tomarrow I will add a little ONR to the mix. Would you recommend 3 parts water, one part OID and 1 or .5 parts ONR?

If you encounter smearing with the OID that means that the diluted mixture is a bit rich in active ingredients. Stretch the mix to 3.5:1 first. ONR adds a cleaning function to it, so if you don't want a cleaning QD don't add ONR to it.

talex26, I wish I would have read your last comment on this thread before doing the OID for the first time today! I did a dark blue Jag and it was streaking which didn't matter because I went around with wax afterwards and got rid of them but thought that if it streaks on wipe downs then it will be a pain. I am glad I know this so now tomarrow I will add a little ONR to the mix. Would you recommend 3 parts water, one part OID and 1 or .5 parts ONR?

I will add that weather may play a roll in what works. For instance humidity makes a big difference as either product - ONR by itself or the OID water/concentrate mixture are harder to wipe off than in non-humid conditions. As you know things just don't dry or wipe off as easily or quickly in humidity. Now OID being a heavier viscosity is harder to wipe off, or as I call it, rub into the paint. So when it is humid I end up adding more than 10% of ONR to the OID mixture so I don't have to spend a lot of extra time rubbing it in. You have to experiment to see what works for you in your area. Just add an additional half cap full at a time to a 32 oz bottle until you find something that works for you

Some guys just add more water - like going 4 to 1 instead of the recommended 3 to 1. I like the ONR because it doesn't thin out the OID to the point of it 'running' when applied like more water does, plus the ONR is synergistic with the OID and I actually think it enhances the OID shine and that the product spreads out on the paint more evenly - thus less streaking. I mix in 10% even in neutral weather conditions and add more when it is humid.

Have fun with it. It's a great product - - and very affordable. Smells good too, not that smell means anything when it comes to looks, but if you are detailing all day and have a choice or using 'chemical' smelling products or clean and nice smelling ones then the choice is easy all other things considered.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will be trying this out tomarrow on my next few vehicles! I used a paint mixing cup to do my 3:1 ratio perfect. It streaked some so I sprayed one spray of OID on a small fender and then a little spray of ONR on top of it to help dilute it but was streaking. I will do the mixture you guys mentioned and just mess with it until I find what works best for me. Either way, it works great and gives the paint a deep shine.

Archived