Clay Bar Lubricant

Shawn F.

This question is more about oppinion than which is the correct product to use... What do you guys prefer using for a lubricant for clay baring a vehicle? Water, Optimum Spray Wax, Intstant Detailer, etc etc? It's time for a new clay bar and something other than water to lubricate it. I see on Optimum's main site that for their claying it's best to use the Opt Spray Wax. Can this be used diluted down with water as not to use so much of it just on claying? Is there something better out there? I've always used water with a little soap in it but thought I'd ask around to see what most use. As you may notice already I am always trying new and different products and ways of doing things to find a way I like best. Once I find something I still will try other things out when I have the time and money.

Thanks for any information here!

Guest Driven Auto Detail

I believe the only recommended OPT product for clay lube is ONR (2oz. per 1 gallon of water I believe). Due to the dilution ratio, ONR is probably the cheapest clay lube out there.

I wouldn't use the spray wax or the Instant Detailer for clay lube, ever. I don't know that it'd even work properly. Plus, it'd be wasting good product on the claying step.

Shawn,

Here is what we do at the shop.

after washing the car we keep it wet and use power-clean as a lube. It is diluted 3/1 and we use very little of it. most times we just spray the piece of clay in hand. If using the ONR wash method then we do this first then mix another bucket of the solution and after the car is done we rewet one panel at a time clay same as i posted and then rewet again with your ONR and wash media then dry.

You can also use dish soap in a spray bottle about ten drops of it and this would work as well. No need to waste money on special clay lube.

Good luck and Happy Claying!

Thanks a lot guys, I'll take your advice! The Power Clean seems like a great idea on the really dirty and contaminated paint surfaces! I've always used just water and soap. Now it's time to buy some new clay. Any good recommendations on which one you guys have liked best and where you bought it from?

• 2 weeks later...

I figured I'd update this today. I did my stepmothers mini van yesterday and what I did was use ONR with a little Instant Detailer in it. It worked great and I did the ONR before claying and then wiped it down with ID afterwards. Looked great but the vehicle needs to be buffed, sealed and waxed since it's older and never been detailed. I am going to try the power clean next for lube on a more dirty/grity car. I should have done this on the mini van because it had brown run marks that wouldn't wash off and the power clean would have helped it clean up and less work for me to wash I am sure.

Ron, I will try this on my next clay bar job.

Thanks again guys! I'll keep you updated as always.

Archived