OID Question

vindaloo

• 2 weeks later...
Dr G

Please can you tell me if Instant Detailer contains any silicones?

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

Instant Detailer contains flouropolymers which repel water, dirt, and oil. Silicones on the other hand, repel water while attracting oil and dirt. Thanks.

David,

If people claim that Optimum Instant Detailer contains silicone because of streaks then it may be that they are not diluting the product properly. Almost all application issues can be traced back to how people dilute OID and what they dilute it with. Distilled water is best in my experience.

Anthony

did you mix it with distilled water or tap?

Anthony-I always use distilled water. Even mixing APC's etc it's all i use. Originally I used the 3:1 as suggested on the bottle but then I went 4:1 or maybe even a little more. The slickness and gloss is fantastic, as is the smell. It streaks worse with high humidity and it doesn't fade away after a minute like OOS does. Now that I've poured roughly 8 oz of ONR QD into the already dilluted OID it actually works as a pretty good QD. Granted this is a bit outside of its intended use, but it works and it still has a slicker feel and look than the ONR QD by itself.

My neighbor uses it on both his vehicles after i raved about it and he still loves it. it's just my GTI I guess.

Anthony-I always use distilled water. Even mixing APC's etc it's all i use. Originally I used the 3:1 as suggested on the bottle but then I went 4:1 or maybe even a little more. The slickness and gloss is fantastic, as is the smell. It streaks worse with high humidity and it doesn't fade away after a minute like OOS does. Now that I've poured roughly 8 oz of ONR QD into the already dilluted OID it actually works as a pretty good QD. Granted this is a bit outside of its intended use, but it works and it still has a slicker feel and look than the ONR QD by itself.

My neighbor uses it on both his vehicles after i raved about it and he still loves it. it's just my GTI I guess.

I can't say I have never had it not streak but the streak incidents are far and few between and I can then usually attribute that to something outside the OID itself, like spraying on a finish that has been freshly waxed or sealed.

I usually turn to ONR before the OID only because I believe ONR gives me a nicer "clean" finish than OID.......especially when dealing with product dust or say a quick spruce up just before a client picks up their car.

I hope you find that magical ratio and you get it working for you.

Anthony

Archived