Does ONR contain silicone and fillers?

Derrick

It does not contain fillers.....and as for silicones, there are good silicones and bad silicones. Water based dressing contain silicones but they are of the good (body shop safe) variety.

In regards to polymers, yes ONR has polymers that do bond with your paint but should have no adverse effect with the wax you're using. If we wish to get this technical about silicone, polymers and such things then we had better take a deep look into how the foam pads we use are constructed, does the laundry soap we use contain anything of concern and what about the hand lotions we may use that could rub off onto the towels we use????

It's good to have concerns and be aware but there's nothing in ONR that will play mishap with your wax or sealants.

Anthony

It does not contain fillers.....and as for silicones, there are good silicones and bad silicones. Water based dressing contain silicones but they are of the good (body shop safe) variety.

In regards to polymers, yes ONR has polymers that do bond with your paint but should have no adverse effect with the wax you're using. If we wish to get this technical about silicone, polymers and such things then we had better take a deep look into how the foam pads we use are constructed, does the laundry soap we use contain anything of concern and what about the hand lotions we may use that could rub off onto the towels we use????

It's good to have concerns and be aware but there's nothing in ONR that will play mishap with your wax or sealants.

Anthony, if I may I'd like to ask you a further question. In the comment cited above by RickRack, the claim is made that ONR, because it contains silicones, inhibits effective polishing. The idea is that the silicones form a barrier between the paint and the polisher and and a result the polisher "skips" over the paint and so do not work as effectively as it should. Presumably this claim would also apply to many other products, especially quick detailers. My question is this: Is it true? You have both long experience as a professional detailer and have been in conversation with a chemist. What is the truth about this? Have you ever experienced the kinds of problems to which RickRack refers? TIA.

Anthony, if I may I'd like to ask you a further question. In the comment cited above by RickRack, the claim is made that ONR, because it contains silicones, inhibits effective polishing. The idea is that the silicones form a barrier between the paint and the polisher and and a result the polisher "skips" over the paint and so do not work as effectively as it should. Presumably this claim would also apply to many other products, especially quick detailers. My question is this: Is it true? You have both long experience as a professional detailer and have been in conversation with a chemist. What is the truth about this? Have you ever experienced the kinds of problems to which RickRack refers? TIA.

No rinse contains polymers that are soy based and there is no silicone whatsoever in this product. In fact you can paint right over it which would be impossible if it had any silicones. Products with silicones would also have streaking issues which would be very visible on glass surfaces. The polymeric film left on the surface would not interfere with polishing whatsoever. I hope this answers your question.

David,

Doctor G. gave you a much more science based reply than I ever could so I will reply with an everyday use reply. In my experience Optimum No Rinse does not cause my buffer to skip or hop because the amount of polymers left behind from No Rinse would be minimal and also most liekly removed in the buffing process.

Add to this that most detailers, whether they be weekend warriors or pros, all most always clay the car prior to polishing thus removing any polymers.

Most skipping and hopping of the buffing pad occurs because of pad to surface issues no because of polymers present. If I clean my pads in my Lake Country pad washer my pad will at times skip and hop all over the place but as I adjust the buffer and pad angle the hopping stops. There are no polymers or silicone on the cleaning wheels of my pad washer so something else must be making it hop.

Hope this helps,

Anthony

No rinse contains polymers that are soy based and there is no silicone whatsoever in this product. In fact you can paint right over it which would be impossible if it had any silicones. Products with silicones would also have streaking issues which would be very visible on glass surfaces. The polymeric film left on the surface would not interfere with polishing whatsoever. I hope this answers your question.

Thank you for your response. I didn't even realize until today that anyone had replied to my query. I thought I was tracking this topic, but apparently I have not been, as I had not received any notice. It took someone from another forum to bring your good reply to my attention. :thumbsupup[1]:

Archived