Is My Optiseal No Good?

Dsoto87

Last year I bought some OS and everything worked great. Recently I purchased some os from a reputable online dealer. When I received the OS it was almost milky. My first bottle was completely clear. Looked like water. This bottle had small bots of a milky substance floating around. I messaged a representative of the site and quickly they rectified the situation by offering to send another bottle free of charge. Well I got another bottle and its the same exact thing. Actually maybe a bit less of the milky substance.

When I got the first abnormal bottle I figured temperature may have had something to do with it. I know packages were halted in the east coast because of extreme cold and storms. I dont know if this would cause this but thats what i assumed.

A representative had said they talked with dr g...this was the response..

I spoke with Dr. G (David from Optimum) and he said that if exposed to moisture, Opti Seal could become cloudy.

This could also cause the ingredients to polymerize and that would be the reason to see particles floating

This didnt really answer anything for me. Im not a pushy person and since they were already sending me a replacement I didnt want to push the issue. But now with this second bottle looking the same way, I figured Id come to the source.

So heres my questions...

1st, was it extremely cold weather that could have done this?

How does this product get "exposed" to moisture?

When the ingredients "polymerize", does that mean that what should be happening on the paint actually happened in the bottle?

And lastly..........can I still use these bottles?

Heres some pictures.

img

img

img

tmpphpxolceikj8.jpg[/img]

Thanks in advance,

David

Many times moisture can seep in through the nozzle.....polymerization can and does occur but should not affect the performance of the product. I've never had a milky bottle such as yours but if this is your second bottle like this did they come from the same distributor or perhaps in the same geographical area.....such as in the colder upper states?

Anthony

Many times moisture can seep in through the nozzle.....polymerization can and does occur but should not affect the performance of the product. I've never had a milky bottle such as yours but if this is your second bottle like this did they come from the same distributor or perhaps in the same geographical area.....such as in the colder upper states?

Anthony

I see. The retailer is located in florida. Both bottles came from them. I dont know how the weather was there but I know around the time I got the first bottle there was some pretty extreme storms on the east coast. I had hoped the second bottle would come normal. Kind of odd it would happen twice.

Should I strain this stuff out through like a cheese cloth or something? Or should I just use the bottle as normal?

• 2 weeks later...
I see. The retailer is located in florida. Both bottles came from them. I dont know how the weather was there but I know around the time I got the first bottle there was some pretty extreme storms on the east coast. I had hoped the second bottle would come normal. Kind of odd it would happen twice.

Should I strain this stuff out through like a cheese cloth or something? Or should I just use the bottle as normal?

still no answer????

FWIW, I wouldn't use it at all.

What you do is your decision, but the product you received doesn't appear to be the product you ordered. Opti-Seal doesn't have white stuff floating around in it.

Sending you a second bottle, (Which had the same white stuff in it), was a good effort by the vendor, but it didn't correct the problem.

Whatever happens, you are probably going to end up as the loser. You could return what you now have and ask for a refund, but even if you receive a refund, you will probably have to pay the return shipping charge.

You could also ask them to send another bottle but what's to say their entire inventory isn't like the first two bottles? If they do send a third bottle and it is OK, then your problem is solved. If the third bottle is not good, then I would chalk the whole thing up as an expensive lesson and purchase from a different vendor. Right now, you have spent over $30 to be unhappy. Just as well spend another $30 to be happy.

I realize you didn't purchase it direct from Optimum, but I'm a little surprised they don't replace it for you and get the stuff you received back from you so they can determine what happened.

• 2 weeks later...

So.....

Any answers to this or is it just going to be let slide by and be forgotten?

A similar problem has recently been posted on Autopia.

My Opti-Seal is close to two years old and I have about 1/4 bottle or less remaining and it is still crystal clear. I have never purposely introduced any moisture into it, but I haven't taken any special precautions to prevent it, either. While I am in a cold winter area, I have not let it freeze not have I left it in 100 degree temperatures.

Has there been a formula change since early 2007?

One of the reasons I have been following this thread is to see just how the problem is resolved.

When my Opti-Seal is gone, I plan/planned to replace it with more. If I receive what Dsoto87 received, I won't be happy with the product.

I wouldn't use it and if I can't use it, there would be no reason to have it.

Right now, I have no interest in spending $25 or $30, (Including shipping), to find out what I will get.

The problem is not just a one time thing.

It happened with two bottles for Dsoto87 and there is a thread on Autopia about another person having a similar problem.

Maybe all the questionable product is from the same batch and it was in some way compromised.

The possibility of the product being "cut" seems like a very unlikely thing.

Anyway, Dsoto87 and at least one other customer have had a problem and how it is resolved is of interest to me.

Last year I bought some OS and everything worked great. Recently I purchased some os from a reputable online dealer. When I received the OS it was almost milky. My first bottle was completely clear. Looked like water. This bottle had small bots of a milky substance floating around. I messaged a representative of the site and quickly they rectified the situation by offering to send another bottle free of charge. Well I got another bottle and its the same exact thing. Actually maybe a bit less of the milky substance.

When I got the first abnormal bottle I figured temperature may have had something to do with it. I know packages were halted in the east coast because of extreme cold and storms. I dont know if this would cause this but thats what i assumed.

A representative had said they talked with dr g...this was the response..

This didnt really answer anything for me. Im not a pushy person and since they were already sending me a replacement I didnt want to push the issue. But now with this second bottle looking the same way, I figured Id come to the source.

So heres my questions...

1st, was it extremely cold weather that could have done this?

How does this product get "exposed" to moisture?

When the ingredients "polymerize", does that mean that what should be happening on the paint actually happened in the bottle?

And lastly..........can I still use these bottles?

Heres some pictures.

img

img

img

tmpphpxolceikj8.jpg[/img]

Thanks in advance,

David

David,

I am sorry for the late reply but someone just brought this discussion to my attention earlier today. Generally, if you post questions or product issues in the Dr. G. section I will get an automated message which helps me respond in a more timely fashion.

We have made a number of batches of Opti-Seal in the past two years and this is the first time we have seen this problem. Whether this was caused by cold temperatures or moisture or other factors, you can always send your Optimum product back to your vendor for a replacement or a full refund and we in turn credit their accounts.

The problem was when your supplier checked their stock of Opti-Seal, they did not have any product without crystals. So they contacted us a couple of weeks ago and we sent them replacement product which they should now have in stock. If you contact your supplier again, I am sure they will be more than happy to send you another bottle of Opti-Seal that has no crystals.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thank you.

Best Regards,

David G.

David,

I am sorry for the late reply but someone just brought this discussion to my attention earlier today. Generally, if you post questions or product issues in the Dr. G. section I will get an automated message which helps me respond in a more timely fashion.

We have made a number of batches of Opti-Seal in the past two years and this is the first time we have seen this problem. Whether this was caused by cold temperatures or moisture or other factors, you can always send your Optimum product back to your vendor for a replacement or a full refund and we in turn credit their accounts.

The problem was when your supplier checked their stock of Opti-Seal, they did not have any product without crystals. So they contacted us a couple of weeks ago and we sent them replacement product which they should now have in stock. If you contact your supplier again, I am sure they will be more than happy to send you another bottle of Opti-Seal that has no crystals.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thank you.

Best Regards,

David G.

It sounds like the problem is being addressed and handled.

Actually, I didn't expect anything less from Optimum and I was surprised it didn't get taken care of sooner.

Now I know why.

It is an unfortunate situation for all concerned, but it is good to see it taken care of. :D

Hey no update here guys.

Im sure the supplier your talking about is the one i ordered form dr g

I did find it quite odd that the second bottle came back the same way. I just feel bad asking for another bottle since they have already sent me a replacement already. I actually had a small problem with another sealant that they have since sent a replacement for and Im waiting on. Both replacements were free of charge.

There customer service is great and everything has seemed to be no questions asked. I feel like im taking advantage somehow by asking for another bottle sent out. I would gladly send both bottles back for 1 bottle that is not crystallized.

So dr g....is it a definite no that these "contaminated" bottles will not work properly?

I tried it out on a small license plate cover to see how it went on and its seemed to work like my original "pure" bottle of OS.

Since I only spritzed that panel once and I havent even touched the other bottle Im going to message the vendor and see if I can return them for a clear bottle. Ill keep you guys update. Thanks

UPDATE: ALL IS WELL

I messaged the vendor and they gladly are going to ship out a new clear bottle. Ive been dealing with one person and hes been more than helpful.

This post is a testament to a certain vendors excellent customer service. I dont know if its allowed to post other vendors names so ill leave it out.

Anyways, DR G, I still wouldnt mind knowing if the "polymerized/crystallized" OS is still useful at all.

UPDATE: ALL IS WELL

I messaged the vendor and they gladly are going to ship out a new clear bottle. Ive been dealing with one person and hes been more than helpful.

This post is a testament to a certain vendor's excellent customer service. I don't know if it's allowed to post other vendor's names so I'll leave it out.

Anyways, DR G, I still wouldnt mind knowing if the "polymerized/crystallized" OS is still useful at all.

I don't know if it's allowed, but I couldn't find anything in the rules that said it wasn't.

Because I didn't, I will post who I think the vendor was and if it is a no, no, then I will be the one to be in trouble. :D

It was Autogeek wasn't it? They are super to deal with.

I don't know if it's allowed, but I couldn't find anything in the rules that said it wasn't.

Because I didn't, I will post who I think the vendor was and if it is a no, no, then I will be the one to be in trouble. :D

It was Autogeek wasn't it? They are super to deal with.

Yes it was autogeek. Autogeek hands down has the best customer service ive ever dealt with, and i dont just mean in the detailing supply business. The person ive been dealing with is matt. Great guy and very understanding.

So im not even worried about this one coming in polymerized. He said he inspected it himself. Thanks optimum and thanks AG

Any word though yet Dr G?

Archived