Used ONR today and......

Hey guys,

I tried ONR today and the product is amazing! I can't believe how clean the car is, i wouldn't even be surprised if after this wash, my car was cleaner compared to the regular wash.

Really good stuff, i just wish i used this stuff before and i would of saved tons of money. $15/weekly:(...

For washing the car, i'm guesing 1oz is two full caps, mixed into one gallon of water, however i mixed 3 full caps of ONR into one gallon water and the problem which occured was i ran out of water when i was almost finished with my car, (is this normal? Should i add more water? I usually like to put more solution to mix just because that way i feel safer, so can i add more solution to the water if i increase the amount of water?

Also, once you wipe each pannel with the mf towel, do you usually rinse and squeeze out the MF or just dump the mf back into the bucket? I wasn't squeezing the mf so im not sure if i did anything wrong.

once again, really amazing product!

Hey guys,

I tried ONR today and the product is amazing! I can't believe how clean the car is, i wouldn't even be surprised if after this wash, my car was cleaner compared to the regular wash.

Really good stuff, i just wish i used this stuff before and i would of saved tons of money. $15/weekly:(...

(1) For washing the car, i'm guesing 1oz is two full caps, mixed into one gallon of water, however i mixed 3 full caps of ONR into one gallon water and the problem which occured was i ran out of water when i was almost finished with my car, (is this normal? Should i add more water? I usually like to put more solution to mix just because that way i feel safer, so can i add more solution to the water if i increase the amount of water?

(2) Also, once you wipe each pannel with the mf towel, do you usually rinse and squeeze out the MF or just dump the mf back into the bucket? I wasn't squeezing the mf so im not sure if i did anything wrong.

once again, really amazing product!

Since you aren't getting a lot of replies, I'll take a shot at your questions. I'm no expert, but I have been using rinseless washes for several years and almost exclusively since the winter of 2007/2008. They have pretty much replaced my traditional bucket washes, even in the summer.

(1) Don't guess. At least measure the content of the cap at least one time to be sure how much product you are using. Follow the instructions. They call for 1 oz. per two gallons of water. You are using way more than recommended and I don't really know how that would affect the overall performance of the product. I use about 3/4 to 1 oz. per gallon because of fairly hard water. As far as running out of water, one gallon has always been plenty for me to do either a Pontiac Grand Prix or a Pontiac Montana mini-van including the wheels.

(2) After dipping my wash media in the ONR/water solution, I do squeeze some of the water out before applying it to the vehicle. You will develop a feel for how much is needed after a use or two. The amount left in my wash media is not enough for any excess water to run off horizontal panels and not a lot runs off the vertical panels. I don't know how to describe it, but the closest I can come is soaking wet, but not dripping wet.

Using more ONR/water solution than you needed to is most likely why you ran short of solution.

I do use a two bucket system and rinse and wring out my wash media in the rinse bucket before putting it back in the wash solution.

Many people do it with just one bucket with no problem. I have done it both ways and just feel more comfortable with the two buckets.

Charles gave some great replies so what I'll add is my own method.

I add 1 ounce to 1 gallon of soft water. The reason being that we use treated water is the polymers within ONR will bond to the minerals in the tap water thus making the mixture not work to its maximum.

I also usually wash my wash mitt out after every panel....or in the case of a MF towel I will rinse it out in the ONR then ring it out to an appropriate wetness for the panels I am washing (dirtier panels get more ONR solution).

Anthony

Charles gave some great replies so what I'll add is my own method.

I add 1 ounce to 1 gallon of soft water. The reason being that we use treated water is the polymers within ONR will bond to the minerals in the tap water thus making the mixture not work to its maximum.

Surely you could add some more ONR to counteract that Anthony ?

Surely you could add some more ONR to counteract that Anthony ?

Isn't he already adding more ONR when he uses 1 oz. per gallon?

The instructions call for 1 oz. per 2 gallons.

At one ounce per gallon he is using twice the recommended ratio of ONR to water.

I figure my 3/4 to 1 oz. per gallon is 50 to 100% extra to compensate for hard/tap water.

ONR is created in the way that adding more does NOT equal better performance....as with most things detailing. I have been adding the 1 ounce to 1 gallon since I started testing the product some time ago and it's just stuck with me like that.

So you can add 1/2 an ounce and get great performance and I would also state that 1 ounce should be your limit to add per gallon of water because any more and I think you're just wasting product then.

Anthony

ONR is created in the way that adding more does NOT equal better performance....as with most things detailing. I have been adding the 1 ounce to 1 gallon since I started testing the product some time ago and it's just stuck with me like that.

So you can add 1/2 an ounce and get great performance and I would also state that 1 ounce should be your limit to add per gallon of water because any more and I think you're just wasting product then.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony,

I can't wait to try other optimum products this summer:)...

Isn't he already adding more ONR when he uses 1 oz. per gallon?

The instructions call for 1 oz. per 2 gallons.

At one ounce per gallon he is using twice the recommended ratio of ONR to water.

I figure my 3/4 to 1 oz. per gallon is 50 to 100% extra to compensate for hard/tap water.

The extra ONR your adding to compensate for hard water sounds right Charles

Dunno why Anthony is using the same ratio with treated water :D

using 2 buckets definitely uses a lot more water as more is transferred to the rinse bucket rather than back into the original wash solution. While it uses more ONR I feel safer with 2 buckets unless the car is only very lightly dirty.

I also love the gloss and slickness left by ONR - looks just like a freshly QD'd surface to me. As my confidence has grown I have now moved exclusively to ONR as my wash product. The speed and finish is just hard to match, let alone beat :D

using 2 buckets definitely uses a lot more water as more is transferred to the rinse bucket rather than back into the original wash solution. While it uses more ONR I feel safer with 2 buckets unless the car is only very lightly dirty.

I also love the gloss and slickness left by ONR - looks just like a freshly QD'd surface to me. As my confidence has grown I have now moved exclusively to ONR as my wash product. The speed and finish is just hard to match, let alone beat :D

Since I have only used ONR with both a wash and rinse bucket, I can't say how much difference it makes in water consumption.

I do use one gallon for washing and one gallon for rinsing and I have never been concerned about running out of water.

I mix ONR in both wash and rinse water so I don't have to worry about diluting the wash water. I also use hot/warm water for both wash and rinse. Warm water cleans much better. Try rinsing a dirty plate under a stream of cold water, then do the same under a stream of hot water. I think you might be convinced. :)

Since I now use only two gallons of water total, I have switched to a two compartment bucket like this:

DoubleBucket.jpg

With my homemade grit guards in place:

NewImage-1.jpg

The arrows and letters are for Wash - Rinse sides.

The 2 compartment bucket is a canny idea Charles, I like the homemade grit guard as well B)

I always use warm water too because I getting soft in my old age but I take on what you said. ONR is the stuff for me, don`t need or want any other wash, no more hose pipes :kicking[1]:

I have to laugh a little at those grit guards...but I wish I had done something like that before spending $20 on 2 of them.

and speaking of grit guards-they take up what, about half a gallon of space at the bottom of a bucket? I always add an extra half cap to my wash bucket and usually 1 full cap for my rinse bucket.

I have to laugh a little at those grit guards...but I wish I had done something like that before spending $20 on 2 of them.

and speaking of grit guards-they take up what, about half a gallon of space at the bottom of a bucket? I always add an extra half cap to my wash bucket and usually 1 full cap for my rinse bucket.

Those were made from a section of aluminum gutter guard that I paid $2.06 for, including tax. Cut to length, bent to fit. Just as a guess, they probably make about a quart of solution unavailable. Cheap and easy, just like me. :kicking[1]:

• 2 weeks later...

Since my first ONR wash a year ago I've fallen into this routine that has worked very well. I add ONE oz of ONR to TWO gallons of water. First I wash the inside windows using a low nap microfiber cloth well rung out and then dry with a waffle weave MF towel. Simplest interior window wash I've ever done.

I then add another OZ of ONR to the two gallons (this is twice the amount recommended, but our water is hard in Nashua) and use a medium nap MF mitt--it is long enough to keep grit away from the paint, but short enough to control the amount of solution. Some use sheepskin mitts or the dreadlock type mitts but I find them to carry too much solution. I wash a section then dry with a waffle weave MF towel and then give it a second drying pass with a long nap MF. After the body is complete I use the low nap MF well rung out to wipe inside the doors, trunk and hood. Then I use what is remaining of the 2 gallons to do the wheels and inside the wheel wells.

In the winter when the car is really covered with salt and sand I wet it down with a gallon of water/1 OZ of ONR using a garden type pressure sprayer to loosen the grime.

So at the most I use 3 gallons of water and 3 oz of ONR. Hope this helps!

Archived