I'm buying a black car, will opt finish help me stay sane?

UpNorth

Hi there,

I am waiting for delivery on a new black sapphire metallic volvo C30. I try to be careful with my wash technique and absolutely love ONR (and OCW & OID & OPP.) But I know that the reality is I will end up with some degree of swirls or marring despite my best efforts. (Just thinking about dealer prep makes me cringe.) I'm hoping that I can keep in the category of only needing minor corrections once or twice a year. (I know, black is a full time job and I may be delusional.)

Anyway, am I correct in thinking that optimum finish may be my new best friend? Or do you think I'm more likely to need to stock up on OP II? I have a PC but that's it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

I have 3 black cars, plus I maintain a few thousand of them a year, so yes black is a full time job. OPT finish will defiantly help you if used on a regular basis, what will also help your sanity is Opti Coat, this will help protect from the nasties. As for dealer prep, ask them not to do any cosmetic prep, only mechanical, you will thank yourself for the effort.

Thanks guys. Good advice. I went ahead and ordered the finish polish as well as restocked other favorites. As an amateur, I didn't try to get the coat, but I did get some opti seal to help me with the nasties. ( I use OCW & OID regularly too to keep bad stuff from sticking and to of course look good.)

I will be sure too to be clear with me dealer: hands off my paint.

Hi there,

I am waiting for delivery on a new black sapphire metallic volvo C30. I try to be careful with my wash technique and absolutely love ONR (and OCW & OID & OPP.) But I know that the reality is I will end up with some degree of swirls or marring despite my best efforts. (Just thinking about dealer prep makes me cringe.) I'm hoping that I can keep in the category of only needing minor corrections once or twice a year. (I know, black is a full time job and I may be delusional.)

Anyway, am I correct in thinking that optimum finish may be my new best friend? Or do you think I'm more likely to need to stock up on OP II? I have a PC but that's it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

I will not get into why most people shouldn't buy black/dark colored cars, I will just say this: Get ready to wash it a few times a week if you want it look at least ok. Dark color gets filthy so fast it isn't funny. I mean 30 minutes after washing it, if the car is outside will show a layer of dirt.

Good luck!

I will not get into why most people shouldn't buy black/dark colored cars, I will just say this: Get ready to wash it a few times a week if you want it look at least ok. Dark color gets filthy so fast it isn't funny. I mean 30 minutes after washing it, if the car is outside will show a layer of dirt.

Good luck!

Yep, I'll need luck and perhaps a lobotomy so I don't care. Can't wait for pollen season. :beerchug[1]:

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to update you guys. I got my black sapphire metallic volvo in May (see ONR + OCW + OID rocks http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=1050) and couldn't love it more. Today, after an ONR wash and a good clay session, I finally tried the optimium finish polish. It couldn't have been easier to work with. Happily, after a summer of washings by me, my paint didn't need any real or serious correction. The lazy side of me thought about skipping any polishing, but I decided to go ahead and amp it up anyway. I'm happy I did. I have never used such a user-friendly polish. Admittedly I don't have much detailing experience, but this was ridiculously easy. I really felt like I had lots of room to work the product as much or as little as I wanted. I am sold.

I used it with a grey pad and my PC. I buffed the finish polish residue off with OCW and a microfiber towel. Then I applied a coat of Optiseal. I'll add another coat of that tomorrow morning. (I love the OS too. I of course made the novice mistake of applying it too heavily in some spots, but that was easier enough to fix with either a wipe down or just letting it disappear with time.) Just to complete the picture, I treated the interior surfaces with OPP and cleaned my inside windows with a damp optimum glass cloth. (I may top with 476s or Carnuba Moose wax later to help get me through my long winter, as I can't add layers once it hits. )

I haven't had a chance to see what my paint looks like in the sun, but I think I'll be very happy. It looked great under the halogens in the garage.

I love this product line and greatly appreciate all the good advice people have posted to help others get the most out of the products.

thanks!

Update: I added a second coat of OS. This time I used a short nap microfiber rather than a foam applicator and found that even easier to manage. I could barely stop looking at it, it looked so good.

Archived