Pro Coating durability in 2024

JoseG

Hello all! Been using OPT for over 7 years now. I’ve applied my fair share of coatings and, having just recently become a Opti-Coat installer, will have many more coming my way as I grow my business, market them more and offer better value! Gloss Coat has always been a staple due to its ease of use and price point, and from my own experience of having applied it to multiple vehicles, I know that it can last it’s solid 3 years (3+ on my brothers car for example, 2.75 on my own with abuse with top panels showing wear!). 

Now, it’s 2024 and there’s LOTS of coatings on the market with various durability claims that are hard to pinpoint without actually waiting out their claimed duration of durability. OPT has the advantage of being one of the first, if not the first, coating company out there. My question to other veteran pro installers, specifically those who have been applying for over 7 years, is; how are the coatings holding up in 2024? What’s the longest lasting application you have seen/still maintain? How much degradation have you noticed for paint guard after 3 years, pro after 5, and pro+ after 7? How are the hydrophobics? How do they compare to SiO2 or similar coatings with similar durability claims? How about Leather and Fabric guard? I know abrasion is the #1 coating killer so I’m curious to see how fabric and leather coatings hold up with daily use.

Additionally, what advice, if any, would you give a new pro installer working with pro and pro plus? I’ve read Paint guard is like gloss coat so not worried about that one. Is pro just as easy to work with? I’ve applied a lot of Opti-Glass. What’s the biggest difference between consumer and pro version? Just received my intro pack and will be trying out pro/pro+ on a panel sometime this weekend. 

Not a Pro Installer, but I've had Opti-Coat Pro on a car for 10 years (the 5 year stuff), applied by the famous Yvan LaCroix and it's still there.  It's diminished somewhat, can see minor marring in bright sunlight (Dr G said to be expected as ceramic loses some hardness) but gloss is still outstanding.  I can't judge hydrophobics because I use Hyper Seal/Ultra Ceramic Seal religiously as drying aid.  I've applied Leather Guard twice and use Protectant Plus most washes.  No fading/staining of seats and they're still hydrophobic (don't ask how I know...). I've also used Opti-Lens Pro once and always use sealant on headlights, with zero yellowing/frosting. Applied Opti-Glass Pro several times and feel it might be the least durable of all OPT ceramics.  My cars all are well maintained with Pro products and garaged, for what that's worth.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kid, had not seen this video.  While my car is garaged and properly cared for, it would pass for new (2012 RAV4 - red).  Drove through a rain storm yesterday, used the new Waterless Wash & Shine and drying towel and it's clean and glossy.  Water still beads like a son of a gun but that may be due to regular use of sealants.  The vid did remind my it's been several years since I did a complete decontamination of all my vehicles, so that's on the calendar now.

On 9/13/2024 at 4:44 AM, Kiddetailer said:

This video is what somewhat sold me on the Opti Coat pro.  I haven't seen anything like this where it was "abused" somewhat for that long in the elements. 

Saw that video a few years back and it’s what inspired me to post. I always wonder how the coating is doing in that vehicle today. It’s good to know real world longevity as sometimes customers ask, and having durability longer then 5/7 for pro/pro+ makes for a great selling point against other coating brands, especially newer ones with multi year claims. 

I reached out to a "personality" from the past, Yvan LaCroix, who posted on Facebook he was looking at fun cars to buy, including a barnfind BMW Z3 and wanted opinions.  My Garage Queen is a 2001 Z3 and I gave Yvan some thoughts/experiences.  He bought it and posted pictures after he got it sorted out - sweet red roadster!

On 9/18/2024 at 10:06 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

I reached out to a "personality" from the past, Yvan LaCroix, who posted on Facebook he was looking at fun cars to buy, including a barnfind BMW Z3 and wanted opinions.  My Garage Queen is a 2001 Z3 and I gave Yvan some thoughts/experiences.  He bought it and posted pictures after he got it sorted out - sweet red roadster!

I saw the promo on DIY Detailing!