Hyper Seal formulation change?

snark aside, when the Forum was developed OPT was a MUCH smaller company and there's some here who can tell you that Dr G took phone calls all the time.  He brought me in, in part, to take that piece off his plate to concentrate in the lab. Dr G has never been too involved with social media, including forums, and I don't see that changing, so you'll have to count in me passing questions on to him.

4 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

again, don't know the origins but Chris T was paid to administer, expand the forum and I got involved when he left (no one else took authorship).

Thank you for that Ron I really enjoyed and appreciate your input  on this form.  I guess the only reason I am dealing with some electrical problems ( new wiring harness long story) is that the paint looks so good it's worth fixing. 

I did a decontamination and hyper sealed my "beater" car with the foam applicator the other day. My follow-up towel (eagle 350) slid off the panel when I set it down - this stuff is way slicker than opti seal. About two hours later I walked outside and was actually stunned by how good the poor thing looks. 

Today, water is skating off the windshield at 35 mph, vs 60 with opti seal. To be fair, the clay towel w/ ferrex likely played a part in this improvement. I don't see much difference in the standing water beading, but the paint is far from perfect. I'm here for chemical/uv resistance and an easier next wash, not to film myself hosing my car for youtube. 

With opti seal "new ceramic formula" as a drying aid, I never felt like I needed a follow up/leveling/safety towel and never noticed a high spot. Hyper feels way more substantial and seems to have a longer flash time - will I need to add a second drying towel going forward? I usually use waffle weaves if that matters. 

Thanks again to Ron (and now Don) for keeping this forum going. 

4 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Thank you - the only time I've needed to go back over Hyper Seal is when I applied too much and it streaked (easy to do).

Can I apply Hyperseal the same way as Optiseal??

With the foam app, apply and go away? Does ir flash away too? 

I have only used it as drying aid, and only one panel that I tested it applying dry and buffing with a towel

it applies the same as Opti-Seal - all Optimum sealants apply wet or dry - new info, wax/sealants should not be applied onto foam.  They can  be used as drying aids after rinsing, before drying, or onto paint after drying.

Edited by Ron@Optimum
correction

So the foam applicator is worse now? It seems like I have more streaking and less confidence in even coverage by spraying the panel and wiping with a towel. I am using hyper seal in the smaller opti seal sprayer.

Any tips for best practices or preferred towel types? Will the streaking definitely leave a high spot? Would one pass as a drying aid and a second pass immediately on the dry panel guarantee coverage, or am I overthinking that? 

This is exactly why the forum is so useful!

2 minutes ago, PNW hobbyist said:

So the foam applicator is worse now? It seems like I have more streaking and less confidence in even coverage by spraying the panel and wiping with a towel. I am using hyper seal in the smaller opti seal sprayer.

Any tips for best practices or preferred towel types? Will the streaking definitely leave a high spot? Would one pass as a drying aid and a second pass immediately on the dry panel guarantee coverage, or am I overthinking that? 

This is exactly why the forum is so useful!

IMO the foam applicator is great for dry applications. 

For drying aid, I use a waffle weave drying towel and apply 1 or 2 sprays of Hyperseal per panel. Dries really easy. After I finish I give a look around and if any high spot is there, I just wipe it away with another towel and buffs really easy. 

This is why i love Opti. Ease of use is on another level.